How do you start on weight training

Options
New to weight training. No idea how to start.

Have some weights and dumbells. Bought a book. Reading it. I go on line for maybe a few work out guides and routines. But I don’t really understand some of the routines you see on you tube etc. In terms of increasing your strength levels etc and which ones to do.

Maybe I should just get a PT to show me the ropes?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you can, yes a PT for a session or two. Also, starting strength is a good place for beginners if the PT is too expensive or unavailable due to covid restrictions in your area:

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,313 Member
    Options
    Also, there's a thread here with a list of programs others have found valuable, and much discussion of the options. Read that, and if you have questions, ask on that thread. Some really, really knowledgeable people reply there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • IAMFFL
    IAMFFL Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are off to a great start! Gaining knowledge is a smart move. As a former PT I would say start with a routine that has basic movements so you can learn the proper forms and get use to the exercises. You want to start slow then progress from there. The post above has a link which has some great ideas. There are also sites like bodybuilding.com which have exercises for everyone from beginner to advanced, at home exercises, dumbbell only exercises, exercises for pregnant women etc. They also have pictures and videos to show you the proper movements and what body parts they target. The site use to be a free site but now I believe they charge a small monthly fee to access that info. They often have seven day free trials for you to see if its a good fit. The site has worked for me and helped me tremendously when I began my fitness journey about ten years ago. Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I follow Sydney Cummings on YouTube. She posts a new workout every day. You could start there, learn some moves, then move on to a program later. Or you might like it and stick with her. It's all very personal and depends on your goals and what you like. I used to lift heavy in a gym, but no longer have access...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you have some money to invest in yourself I would go with a personal trainer either in person or online(about half the cost or less) would be well worth the investment.

I personally and most others do a free consultation. This way we can get all the information of your goals, equipment available, time available, etc to tailor programming to your needs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going with acookie cutter program to start. A good personal trainer will shave off a lot of the things that can spin your wheels and prepare you for long term goals in the same time.

Just be very selective. I wouldn't suggest a in house or commercial gym trainer. They are expensive and honestly haven't a clue on training. Only how to make someone tired.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,935 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a few sessions with a personal trainer. This is simply the best way to learn proper form.
  • fslarsson
    fslarsson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Where are you based? My bf is a PT and does online training and f2f. He’s very good on form and instructing. Let me know if you want more info. Frida x
  • RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A good personal trainer is worth the investment. Don't skip out on it. Find one in your local area.
  • getto80kg
    getto80kg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get a PT but make sure you tell him /her not to over train you on the first session, be firm, they get excited sometimes. My heart nearly popped out my chest on my first session, it was a bit demoralising. Good luck
  • gareth_bland
    gareth_bland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started with a PT who set me up a program of basic weight training excersises, split them up into Leg Day, Pull Day and Push day with a set of exercises per day. Worked for me in loosing weight. But don't forget to leave out your core!
  • Pras72
    Pras72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If possible start with a couple of weeks of yoga and then move to PT sessions for a few and then enroll into a holistic strength plus nutrition prgram ...