I gained 5 pounds, but seem just as thin.

Deborah100660
Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I was within 25 pounds of my weight goal. I started a combination of 90 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. Most days I only get 60 minutes of cardio. I stick to my calorie limits. Is it normal to gain weight initially? Someone told me this was likely due to gaining muscle.

Deborah

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Depending on your deficit, it could be muscle, but it's likely mostly water. Take your measurements and measure in/cm loss. If you gain weight and lose inches, it's most likely muscle gain and fat or water loss, because both fat and water take up more space per lb/kg than fat.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    If you're eating at a caloric deficit, it's nearly impossible to gain any muscle. It's more likely that because your muscles retain water while they repair from strength training, that you gained some temporary water weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    OP, you might want to check this out.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    It's normal to gain weight. As previoulsy mentioned, it is almost certainly water retention. Water is very dense, so it doesn't take much water to get a 5 lbs variation. Don't worry about it overly much.
This discussion has been closed.