how much has walking helped you lose weight

Options

Replies

• lisa_0606
    lisa_0606 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 11 pounds walking 40 min on the treadmill in the last 5 weeks. I love seeing the number go down on the scale each week! Walking definitely helps!
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Probably can attribute about 10% of my weight-loss to walking, another 10 to strength training and the rest to diet. I'm probably even underestimating the diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It can help I suppose...but really, diet is going to contribute more to weight loss than anything. I exercise regularly, including taking a 3 mile walk most mornings along with about 60 miles of cycling per week and some strength training. I have lost weight and maintained weight doing plenty of regular exercise...mostly depends on how much I'm eating. One positive for me is that I've never really gained weight when I keep up with regular exercise and stay active.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I walked in January 2014 and throughout that year, a lot. Not only is it great for your body but a walk also works amazing wonders for the mind. Walking is therapeutic. Now I still walk a lot even though running is my preference, but I park at a distance and I walk great lengths into the store, won't catch me driving around for the closest parking spot. I walk all day throughout my house and into my backyard. Walking definitely helped me to lose weight and tone up. Stick with it! Make a goal and stick to it!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    It is great for reducing stress which helps me make better food choices.

Yep!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not walking every day. Not only is it good physically, but its the place where I can clear my mind and think through any problems. For that reason, I don't listen to music or podcasts. (As an aside, I also feel far safer walking without headphones. I believe its important to be aware of your surroundings at all times; people, vehicles, and cyclists). Has it helped hugely with my weightloss? I honestly can't measure that. But I know it helps me mentally, and that's certainly been a big part of my weightloss.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I walked in January 2014 and throughout that year, a lot. Not only is it great for your body but a walk also works amazing wonders for the mind. Walking is therapeutic. Now I still walk a lot even though running is my preference, but I park at a distance and I walk great lengths into the store, won't catch me driving around for the closest parking spot. I walk all day throughout my house and into my backyard. Walking definitely helped me to lose weight and tone up. Stick with it! Make a goal and stick to it!

I never understood the people who would drive around for 10 minutes until a parking spot near the store opened up instead of walking the two minutes from the back of the lot. My Dad was always bad for this. Drove me nuts.

SAME!

Also, at my work you can have 300 deducted annually if you want to park in the lot. I save money and park for free on streets. Only takes 10 minutes to walk, gets me an extra mile a day and I save money!

I also prefer to stand when I am waiting at offices or for things, instead of sitting.
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have found walking to be a nice balance from some of the other more strenuous exercise activities I do.

Most importantly it helps to clear the mind while I catch up on podcasts.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary exercise because I have bad knees and other types of exercise hurts them. If I don't walk losing weight would be difficult since I have to eat at least 1200 calories per day and without exercise I would only lose a couple of pounds per month. I use the indoor walk (for the treadmill) on my Apple watch and then only count the active calories when I enter exercise in MFP. I only eat them back some of the time depending on if I feel hungry or not.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love walking. If anything, it's just lovely to get lots of fresh air and vitamin D, I really find it great for the mind. And getting those steps in is never wrong of course.

That said, I do think 50 mins out and back to your work quite long, but if you enjoy it, why not. If it is out of obsession with burning calories, maybe you should rethink, 4 gym sessions a week seems quite fine as it is.
  • Real_Lydia
    Real_Lydia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have just started walking as exercise. I think it's something I would like to embrace long term, very easy to start, you can do it any time or anywhere and it does not require any special equipment, if you are just walking in parks or in you neighbourhood. I really enjoy it and I'm hoping will will help with weight loss as well.
  • reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I rekindled my love of walking during pandemic. I go 3,4 or sometimes 6 miles. If I didn’t have my dog and could swing my arms more my heart rate would go up. I wear a Fitbit and trrrryyyy to stay around 119 bpm. But like others have said it’s the mental benefit. Sometimes I listen to podcasts, or music. Sometimes i just listen to the sounds of nature. Idoother things like take exercise classes and play tennis. But walking is so easy and so fufilling. Plus you know your burning some calories