Loosing weight very fast

Options
Hey there! I'm new to the forums. Anyways I'm 24 years old male , I'm 6 foot 2 and 184 lbs as of today. About 3 months ago I was weighing 210 pounds. So I was always skinny growing up, you could see my ribs and feel my hip bones very easily. Once I graduated high school and moved out I started eating terribly. Not caring because I knew I was always skinny. I was always around 180 until I didn't weigh myself for several years. I bought a scale and I was shocked to see 210. I slowly started changing my life around. I now count my macros and I work out 4 times a week. 2 weeks ago I started counting my macros, I was already down to 195 when I started counting my macros. I figured this was just water weight. I'm eating in a 600 caloric deficit everyday. I move furniture for a living 8 hours a day 5 days a week and I also work out for an hour 4 times a week. For the past 7 days I've been weighing a pound less everyday. This morning I was 184.6 now I'm 184.0. But I feel great, I look like I'm building muscle but I don't understand how I can loose all this weight so fast. Is my scale broken? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• trecox61
    trecox61 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I personally would not have a deficit if that is your lifestyle just getting rid of the deficit altogether seems to be the best option maybe going with a surplus of around 200 to lose weight at a more healthy pace
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE and go with that. You are very active
  • Scott_Reierson
    Scott_Reierson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    trecox61 wrote: »
    I personally would not have a deficit if that is your lifestyle just getting rid of the deficit altogether seems to be the best option maybe going with a surplus of around 200 to lose weight at a more healthy pace

You think I'll still loose weight eating 200 above maintenance with the lifestyle I have? To me it's just normal having a very active job it doesn't seem to make a big difference but I guess it does haha
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I dont think you are doing anything wrong. At 24 and you sound like a healthy fairly active person your metabolism is like a Ferrari, with very little effort just a little mindfulness about calories you will lose weight very quickly if you have excess. But dont worry:))) it will change in time, your metabolism will slow eventually 10-20 years from now, the calorie deficit you are using today might not be enough later in life and you are going to have to adjust-but that's a problem for a different day-. For now all is well.
  • Scott_Reierson
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Of course your active job makes a difference, all movement requires energy which ultimately comes from your food intake - what activity level did you select when you did your goal set up?
    What weight goal did you select - which rate of loss?
    Are you logging and eating back estimates of your exercise expenditure as this app intends?

I doubt you have gained significant muscle in a very short timescale, you are probably just seeing better muscle definition as you lose fat. To quote a phrase from bodybuilders "the best way to look like you have gained 10lbs of muscle is to lose 10lbs of fat". Using a tape measure and tracking the change over an extended period of time would be a far better guide.

(Don't take any notice of the very confused advice about losing weight in a surplus!)

I selected the 2nd last activity level. But I guess I should have picked the most active. My goal weight is 175, but I just made that goal up Im gonna eat at maintenance when I hit my target weight. I also thought it would take way longer to get their. I chose to loose 1lbs a week. And what do you mean when you ask if I'm logging and eating back estimates? And yea I knew that I didn't gain that much muscle if any at all in this 3 months of starting to work out. I do know that it takes years to build muscle! Where I was going with that was the fact that I don't look like I'm loosing lean mass at this level of weight loss. Agreed about the surpluse advice I got real confused xD
  • Scott_Reierson
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    I dont think you are doing anything wrong. At 24 and you sound like a healthy fairly active person your metabolism is like a Ferrari, with very little effort just a little mindfulness about calories you will lose weight very quickly if you have excess. But dont worry:))) it will change in time, your metabolism will slow eventually 10-20 years from now, the calorie deficit you are using today might not be enough later in life and you are going to have to adjust-but that's a problem for a different day-. For now all is well.

You know I feel that alot! My body was always 180 lbs until I started eating like I wanted to die lmao. Fast food every night chocolate all day long chocolate milk like no tomorrow. But I stopped eating fast food stopped eating chocolate and I eat rediculously healthy now! So I feel like the strong immediate change in my diet allowed me to rapidly loose all that weight. Especially considering my age and my natural build already.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Of course your active job makes a difference, all movement requires energy which ultimately comes from your food intake - what activity level did you select when you did your goal set up?
    Are you logging and eating back estimates of your exercise expenditure as this app intends?

I doubt you have gained significant muscle in a very short timescale, you are probably just seeing better muscle definition as you lose fat. To quote a phrase from bodybuilders "the best way to look like you have gained 10lbs of muscle is to lose 10lbs of fat". Using a tape measure and tracking the change over an extended period of time would be a far better guide.

(Don't take any notice of the very confused advice about losing weight in a surplus!)

I selected the 2nd last activity level. But I guess I should have picked the most active. My goal weight is 175, but I just made that goal up Im gonna eat at maintenance when I hit my target weight. I also thought it would take way longer to get their. I chose to loose 1lbs a week. And what do you mean when you ask if I'm logging and eating back estimates? And yea I knew that I didn't gain that much muscle if any at all in this 3 months of starting to work out. I do know that it takes years to build muscle! Where I was going with that was the fact that I don't look like I'm loosing lean mass at this level of weight loss. Agreed about the surpluse advice I got real confused xD

The online calorie calculators are estimates.

It's your experiment to run on your body with your numbers. The calculators merely give a starting point derived from an average of other 24 year old men at your height and weight.

It's up to you to eat at the level that has you losing weight at at rate that is healthy. At this point, set it to "Lose 1/2 pound per week" and the highest level of Activity. Log and see what happens. Adjust if things are moving too quickly. One pound per day is alarming. Eat! :)
  • Scott_Reierson
    Options

It's your experiment to run on your body with your numbers. The calculators merely give a starting point derived from an average of other 24 year old men at your height and weight.

It's up to you to eat at the level that has you losing weight at at rate that is healthy. At this point, set it to "Lose 1/2 pound per week" and the highest level of Activity. Log and see what happens. Adjust if things are moving too quickly. One pound per day is alarming. Eat! :)

After all the research I've done this morning and then reading your post I definitely agree I don't know how the heck it's even possible that I lost all this weight and still feeling great lol. Upping my calorie intake for sure! Wich will be nice anyways 😎 thank you for your help and also thanks to everyone else for their feedback and suggestions!! I appreciate all comments
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

After all the research I've done this morning and then reading your post I definitely agree I don't know how the heck it's even possible that I lost all this weight and still feeling great lol. Upping my calorie intake for sure! Wich will be nice anyways 😎 thank you for your help and also thanks to everyone else for their feedback and suggestions!! I appreciate all comments

Haha, at your age I was living off caffeine, alcohol, and cigarettes and working a very physical job too.

Youth and previous good health is on your side. Don't blow it!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It will catch up with you. In my early 30s I had a very demanding job where I ran around like crazy for 12-15 hrs a day. I never had time to eat at work. I would have a buttered Pepperidge farm onion roll and a cup of coffee before work. That was ALL I ate....

I lost over 60 lbs VERY quickly. At first, I felt fine. Then seemingly out of nowhere, my body hit a brick wall. Tired all the time, felt awful 24/7.

I changed jobs and started eating again and gained that 60 back plus some. My body recovered, but you shouldn’t intentionally put that kind of stress on your body. You feel great now, but it WILL catch up with you if you don’t fix it soon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

When you set up your goals the daily calorie target given is only for a day with no exercise. When you exercise log that exercise (in the CV part of the exercise database) and an estimated amount is added to that day's goal. Your daily calories varies in line with your exercise burns.

This is similar to TDEE calculators but they ask you to estimate your exercise in advance and you get an average amount credited within a same every day calorie goal. Over time the two methods should end up if roughly the same place.

Understating your activity level and not eating back your exercise calories gave you an inappropriately low calorie goal.
  • Scott_Reierson
    Options

When you set up your goals the daily calorie target given is only for a day with no exercise. When you exercise log that exercise (in the CV part of the exercise database) and an estimated amount is added to that day's goal. Your daily calories varies in line with your exercise burns.

This is similar to TDEE calculators but they ask you to estimate your exercise in advance and you get an average amount credited within a same every day calorie goal. Over time the two methods should end up if roughly the same place.

Understating your activity level and not eating back your exercise calories gave you an inappropriately low calorie goal.

Oh that's really cool I'll try that out for sure thanks! I also increased my calories a bunch now haha I'm glad I made this post before I lost another 10 lbs. I found out I was eating 300 calories above my BMR 😬 I wish I used my BMR in the 1st place! Anyways thanks so much for the help 👍
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    how many grams of protein are you consuming per day?
  • Scott_Reierson
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    To be clear: your activity level excluding exercise is WELL ABOVE the MFP very active setting. 8 hours of moving stuff blows "very active" out of the water.

So your estimated caloric needs were set well below what a correctly defined estimate would have given you.

Estimates and your logging put you in the ballpark. Weight trend over time defines the reality of your situation when/if you're able to isolate weight changes caused by reasons other than fat.

Every indication is that your deficit was much higher than 600 Cal. You LOOK like you're gaining muscle because your muscles are becoming more defined.

With increased eating you should expect an asymptotic increase in weight which has nothing to do with FAT. You will gain weight due to having a higher volume of food flowing through you. You will also potentially gain weight due to some glycogen replenishment.

While your initial results are excellent continuing on the path of a large deficit for your lean-ness level was setting you up for a spectacular rebound... so I am glad to see that you're modifying your course of action.

Setting MFP to very active AND adding a reasonable amount of "exercise" to balance up your accounting of calories spent should bring things to a more even keel.

A quick calculation would be (calories recorded as eaten + (lbs lost*3500) = approximate calories spent). Divide by number of days to get "daily" numbers. Use at least 15-30 days for your averages.

Thank you!!! I was skeptical the whole time about how accurate the "activity" level was. Heck I'm probably still in a deficit eating 2800 calories a day. But it's sure better than 2200 haha. I appreciate the comment I learned lots from it! And I'm definitely gonna try that equation out 😊
  • Scott_Reierson
    Options

Around 185-200 grams a day. Before you say anything I know that's a bit to much and it's not necessary. But if I ate let's say 160 grams I then have to compensate with carbs or fat and I tend to eat alot of protein I have a hard time finding healthy sources of fat/carbs without going over my calories for the day!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Around 185-200 grams a day. Before you say anything I know that's a bit to much and it's not necessary. But if I ate let's say 160 grams I then have to compensate with carbs or fat and I tend to eat alot of protein I have a hard time finding healthy sources of fat/carbs without going over my calories for the day!

As you’ve already acknowledged, you clearly are NOT exceeding your calories for the day. Reduce the protein and supplement with some carbs and fat to help you eat the appropriate number of calories a day since you aren’t eating ENOUGH.