Hungry ALL THE TIME!

Options
Hello! I switched up my diet this week in an attempt to eat healthier. I eat around 1400 calories based on the Mayo Clinic book (4 servings of veggies, 3 fruits, 4 carbs, 3 protein/dairy, 3 healthy fats). So far, I am doing well sticking to the plan but I feel like I am ALWAYS hungry! Will this feeling eventually go away? It's hard to concentrate!

Replies

• marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    Are you eating every 2-3 hours? If not, try that. Eat about 100 cals every 2-3 hours. You can eat more like 200-300 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or more if you need, but that is the ticket. It takes 3-5 days to enter into a fat burning phase. Once you get yourself there, you will not be hungry anymore. Oh, drink lots and lots of water. If you can, keep a bottle of water in front of your at all times. You might be amazed at how much you go through. It does really help tide you over until that next 2-1/2 hour break gets there. Best of luck, you can do this :happy:
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    it also depends on what your eating.
    some fruits and veggies have more fiber than others..so it keeps you full for longer.
    Also try to drink lots of water. it heps curb hunger
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    whenever i switch up my diet, i feel really hungry for a few days, then its like eventually my body adjusts and it stops...

as long as you're doing what they suggested above, and eating enough for your lifestyle, then it's just your body adjusting..and it will eventually stop complaining...but i'm no professional!

hang in there!! :)
  • RHaddad312
    Options
    Try increasing your water intake. It will make you feel full, and also flush out your body of any toxins that might be present. Eating bran and fiber also might help.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    The water will help like the others said, also try adding more protein if possible - (eggs for breakfast instead of cereal, for example). This helped me a lot! Now I am hardly ever hungry, except when I should be. :)
  • vwfan111
    vwfan111 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try adding MORE fat to your diet, and cutting the carbs a bit. I've been eating 1200 calories a day, increased my fat (around 60 grams/day) and protein (60 grams) and decreased my carbs (about 60-70 grams) and now I'm losing weight (2lbs a week) and am not hungry.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Also make sure your eating 100% whole grain. Refined carbs burn up way too fast leaving us hungry and eating more. I include protein in every meal, this keeps me full :)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    When i first started, I had that same exact problem....the dr here told me that its because my body is so used to eating because of my lack of control and then i was feeding it every unhealthy thing in the world, so when i decided to make the change, its almost like i felt like i was dieing of starvation....NO my body wasnt in starvation mode; however, it felt that way because i did a drastic change.....i didnt start off doing the small snacks and meals in the beginning, but after the advice on here, i did learn how to do things in between meals and now I am no longer dealing with the constant hunger.....

also, when snacking, find snacks that are fulfilling....some can do yogurt, some this and that....for me, i found cherries are very fulfilling and raisins....so find your snack and just hang in there....

IT GETS BETTER AND EASIER
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    Try adding MORE fat to your diet, and cutting the carbs a bit. I've been eating 1200 calories a day, increased my fat (around 60 grams/day) and protein (60 grams) and decreased my carbs (about 60-70 grams) and now I'm losing weight (2lbs a week) and am not hungry.

60 grams of fat a day!? equates to 60x9=540 based on 1200 calories eaten thats 45% fat!! not very good advice..sorry
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    you might be shrinking your stomach, which is a good thing, and it is probably in your head. Unless you feel the other side effects of hunger, like shaky-headaches. good luck!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Thanks for the GREAT advice, everyone! I do drink water throughout the day - I have water at my desk. Since it's summer, I'm taking advantage of all of the great berries and cherries that are in season. For breakfast, I have milk, a whole grain, and berries. Mid morning, I have berries or cherries, lunch I have a salad (with olive oil and vinegar, tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, lettuce, etc.), low fat dairy (like string cheese or cottage cheese), and a whole grain (like wheat pitas), then a veggie in the afternoon and balanced dinner. I think that I just need to adjust to my new routine. I am diligent with my exercise but eating healthy has always been a struggle. I am a snacker/binger which has probably made my body a little out of whack. I'll give it a few days and see what happens! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!