Runners high

Finishiitnow
Finishiitnow Posts: 896 Member
What is it? I don't want to misunderstood the concept.
Is it just caused by running?
Comments welcome.

Replies

• It's a lie we tell people to trick them to start running. We keep saying they'll get there but really it's a front. Before ya know it you're covered in anti chaffing creams and garmin devices and you still haven't experienced it yet.
  • Finishiitnow
    Finishiitnow Posts: 896 Member
    heytimsla wrote: »
    It's a lie we tell people to trick them to start running. We keep saying they'll get there but really it's a front. Before ya know it you're covered in anti chaffing creams and garmin devices and you still haven't experienced it yet.

I have been told that I enjoy running for having the same symptoms as using certain plants
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    There's a few theories about it. Chemically it involves a surge in endorphin and endocannabinoids which is resonsible for the "high". Its not just caused by running but its pretty much exclusive to endurance sports. I've heard of cyclists getting it too but I've never got it from cycling. I can only pinpoint two occasions when I had it and both were running and it was probably like 17km in. It's pretty much the best feeling ever, you feel like nothing can stop you and its pure bliss, legs feel as light as feathers.

About the theories...its probably an evolutionary trait back from when Homo Sapiens had to travel long distances using running and wear down prey by just tiring them out. We have no equal in the animal kingdon when it comes to endurance.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Its weird. When I started running I 'liked the idea of running' - truthfully I felt like I was gonna die, it sucked. After a while I just started loving it, and missing the days where "I couldn't run" (I work 11 hour shifts and am not a morning person - so some days I couldn't fit it in).

When I run, I find myself elated, even if painful just wanting to run for '5 more minutes'. It 'clears my mind'. I dunno.

I haven't been running much lately, injured my knee bad in May. Since feeling better have been trying to concentrate on strength training (read that it can help prevent running injuries), and am loving that now.

I went for my first run in months about a week ago - and same thing - didn't want to stop even tho my knee was saying FU after about 35 minutes.

Another note - I hate road running, too hard an impact. I used to like treadmills, but now much prefer trails, dodging stuff - and uphill in the wind, its 'invigorating!
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    I’ve had it for a few minutes here and there along with full body goosebumps, like when you’re listening to a song and you get those shivers of appreciation. When it happens I feel like I could run forever, but once it wears off I suddenly feel powerless to continue
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    I ran for a bit a few years ago (need to get back into it obv) and I don't know if it was runner's high but I do remember feeling euphoric running on a mountain trail. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Don't know if that was it or I was was just really happy and feeling accomplished.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    I’d say everything but the first fifteen minutes is the high point. Something kicks in and you begin a rhythm and flow that feels effortless, even as you are increasing speed. Add to that some fantastic music blaring in your ears and you’ve got yourself a beautiful workout! I’ve been so happy during my run that I find myself fully smiling while doing it, probably looking like a lunatic but joyful all the same!
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    I found most of my high came after the run. Some level of appreciation for my body carrying me through that hellish torture.

I feel in spurts during the run too, like making it up a hill and now taking the strides down hill.

Sometimes I just felt darn proud of myself for knocking out goal after goal, I wanted more of that feeling so I craved the next run and next goal smashed...

So if things were not going so well in life...I knew I could show up on the trail and feel all those good feels