What are you doing to make Christmas feel Christmassy?

Options
Especially if you're not having the sort of Christmas you usually would, due to Covid.

I mean, stuffing my face full of chocolate until I feel so full I feel sick would be rather festive, but not exactly in line with my weight loss goals!

What do you have planned to rustle up some Christmas spirit in your household this year? :smile:

It will be my first Christmas on my own, and I'm looking for ideas to copy for how to stay festive. :smile:

Replies

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »
    Everywhere I go I wear jingly bells

And nothing else

Pics or lies !!!
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So far we either have or have plans to:

- decorated inside and out. I turn the Christmas trees on first thing in the morning.
    - two Advent calendars.
    - Going socially distanced carolling with a few friends.
    - Listen to Christmas music at home and in my car.
    - watching Christmas movies and shows on Netflix.
    - done all my shopping. Just need to sort and wrap.
    - Making fudge as gifts for hairdresser, massage therapist, aesthetician, hockey and baseball coaches, etc.

We definitely have the Christmas spirit here even though we can’t get together with friends and family, or travel the way we normally do.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Any recommendations?

Carolling sounds fun - I always forget how festive a carol makes me feel. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    We aren't having the number of guests come visit that we normally would, but otherwise we're business as usual. We do a real tree and go pick it out on either Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving and we spend most of the weekend decorating the tree and the house while we listen to Christmas music and we watch Christmas movies. I started working on the outdoor decorations on Monday after work. I also just put in my order for our rib roast for Christmas dinner. My boys are 8 and 10 and Christmas is still a huge event for them, so there's no shortage of Christmas spirit here.

I'm totally into the smaller gathering...I really enjoyed Thanksgiving being a low key event...it was the first time we hosted a holiday and I wasn't completely exhausted and pulling my hair out by the time we sit down to eat. Christmas will likely just be my wife's parents and my mom...so nice and small.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Apparently this year I'm all of a sudden into poinsettias so my house is going to be littered with those.
  • Sophisticatted_Gentlemanz
    Options
    I sneak down chimneys and steal cookies from my neighbors pretty much all of December
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I got nuthin'.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    I sneak down chimneys and steal cookies from my neighbors pretty much all of December

😂
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Heading down to my parents place for a turkey dinner.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

I hope you got a turkey with good grades
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I hope you got a turkey with good grades

Top of its class. 😊
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Any recommendations?

Carolling sounds fun - I always forget how festive a carol makes me feel. :)

I have a pretty extensive Spotify playlist. Favourites are Pentatonix, Glee, Harry Connick Jr., Charlie Brown, Frank Sinatra.
    For movies I just looked up Christmas on Netflix and am watching all the cheesy, cliché Hallmark-type movies.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Well played. :lol:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I go I wear jingly bells

And nothing else

Geez, this isn't the disagree thread.

She gave me a big chuckle.
    And a run of imagination watching the police grapple to catch up with her, slowly.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Watching sappy Hallmark Christmas videos
    Staring out my kitchen window at night, the neighbor's house looks like a tastefully done Griswold's house
    Silly sounding maybe but looking at the stars when I bring my dogs outside anywhere between 7 p.m.-5:30 a.m.
    *thinking* about making cookies like I usually do
    *thinking* about putting up a tree, I wasn't going to but Miz_Owl may have convinced me with a comment about how the lights might raise my Christmas spirit.

It's been astoundingly hard getting into the spirit of things so far because it'll just be and dh this year, first year ever without any of our kids. I was thinking I'd be happy just wallowing in self-pity but I get kinda bored with that. :)

Another thought is start a tradition of giving. It's a beautiful tradition to begin with but this year especially. Pick 1 focus, whether it's an animal shelter, local library or whatever floats your boat, and collect for it.

That's a great idea! I should volunteer or donate at my local animal shelter too.