How can I stop or limit my snack cravings?

Replies

• 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 157 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    So buy more carrots and fewer cookies.

I have a desk job and I’m a little confused about how tired you are. Have you had blood work done? You might feel less tired if you were more active: for example, walking around the house or room during calls. It gets cold where I am (basement gym is getting chilly), but I just dress warmer so I can still get my exercise in.

YOU have to make the decision to get some hobbies that don’t involve just eating because you’re bored. YOU have to decide to make your health a priority and it sounds like that hasn’t happened yet for you.

No one can do it for you.... You need to find your motivation and will power and then follow through. Right now, you’re still in the make excuses phase. You need to change your mindset in order to succeed.

Best of luck!

Thanks! I have had bloodwork done and everything is normal. I get an annual physical as well. Its mentally where I am tired, like when you don't get a full nights rest. You may have nailed it, where I need more carrots and less cookies. Could be where I eat crap food, it doesn't fill me up and I want more or I just crave that junk even though I am full.
  • mariyag1407
    mariyag1407 Posts: 1 Member
    try keeping yourself busy with different tasks - that helped me stop snacking, because it makes you think less about food and more about the task. But if you still want to snack just try healthier options like carrots, cucumbers, berries, yogurt, or maybe a biiig bowl of leafy greens that will keep you full. :)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    millerjr5 wrote: »

I have a desk job and I’m a little confused about how tired you are. Have you had blood work done? You might feel less tired if you were more active: for example, walking around the house or room during calls. It gets cold where I am (basement gym is getting chilly), but I just dress warmer so I can still get my exercise in.

YOU have to make the decision to get some hobbies that don’t involve just eating because you’re bored. YOU have to decide to make your health a priority and it sounds like that hasn’t happened yet for you.

No one can do it for you.... You need to find your motivation and will power and then follow through. Right now, you’re still in the make excuses phase. You need to change your mindset in order to succeed.

Best of luck!

Thanks! I have had bloodwork done and everything is normal. I get an annual physical as well. Its mentally where I am tired, like when you don't get a full nights rest. You may have nailed it, where I need more carrots and less cookies. Could be where I eat crap food, it doesn't fill me up and I want more or I just crave that junk even though I am full.

You need to make smarter choices like healthier snacks. I am NOT saying to give up what you enjoy; that only leads to binging. My diary is public, and you can see I clearly don’t eat like a saint. However, you need to limit the junk.

I get the mentally tired thing. I find weight lifting and cardio both help with that immensely. Take tonight: I didn’t feel like going to the gym. I work in warehouse management and I am SUPER busy at work with the holidays and more people than ever shopping online. BUT even though I was mentally tired, I got changed and I’m in my chilly basement gym right now posting in between sets. 10 min into my workout I felt great. If I had skipped the workout, I would have spent the entire night just feeling drained and then I too would have vegged out on my couch watching tv.

It’s never too late to start making better choices. Don’t try to do a complete 180 immediately or you’re destined to fail. Start making some small changes and you’ll start to see overall health improvements.
  • 0atmeel
    try keeping yourself busy with different tasks - that helped me stop snacking, because it makes you think less about food and more about the task. But if you still want to snack just try healthier options like carrots, cucumbers, berries, yogurt, or maybe a biiig bowl of leafy greens that will keep you full. :)

That sounds like a plan there! Thanks for the idea!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Have you tried working a nice dessert into your daily allowance that you'll enjoy in the evening? And only that. Don't have other snacks in the house.
  • 0atmeel
    yirara wrote: »
    Have you tried working a nice dessert into your daily allowance that you'll enjoy in the evening? And only that. Don't have other snacks in the house.

I have not but may have to try that approach.
  • 0atmeel

I have not but will try. I live in Colorado and love the outdoors but there are times in the winter that it is so cold, that I cannot get out but to walk. My hobbies are computer driven on those days, such as research or stats. When it is nice, I always try to get out and do something. I may need to start doing hands on work so I am on my feet more often. What are some of your tasks you started?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    One of the main reasons I log what I eat is to catch myself when I'm tempted to emotional eating (and I include bored eating and procrastination eating in there). Watcha looking in the pantry for when you've already had XXX calories today? Whatever you're feeling right now, you know it's not hunger, so how about we go into the other room and just FEEL whatever it is instead of trying to stuff it down with food, okay?"
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    All of the above plus protein - when I don't get enough protein I can snack and snack and snack on foods that are high on carbs and fats and never feel satisfied.

This, this, this.

i do not do keto but if my protein is low I *just keep eating*. pretty sure being criminally low on protein (my first bit of tracking made me realize 15-20 grams of protein was my average and that's just horrible) is what helped me gain weight to start with.

intentionally combining protein + fat + carbs made a HUGE difference in how I felt and how much I ate.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member

I second this.

Plan for a dessert or a treat you really love into your daily calories so you feel satisfied. Also, find a workout you enjoy to do before or after work to help with energy levels and sleep. It often helps people with their hunger/cravings as well.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    My strategies are pretty much listed already I think

1. Don’t have it in house
    2. Drink enough water
    3. Have something to do that keeps your hands / brain occupied especially while you’re watching tv
    4. Log every bite even (especially) when you are going over for the day
    5. Have grace for the occasional blow out and make sure you pick up and dust off and keep going.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Oh and one more - make sure you build some snacks into your day and when it time to eat them, pay close attention and savour them fully. There is a whole new level of joy that comes with snacks when you are “allowed” and not just shovelling into your mouth mindlessly
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    If you have an accountability buddy, talk to them about what your goal of no snacking. Tell them about what triggers you to snack and do what you need to do to prevent you from snacking.

Personally, I have same problem. I have to buy kids reward candy I don't like. I have to move certain temptations too. I throw away crap that I shouldn't be eating that I love. I prep fruits and veggies to help have the easy snacky feeling but with healthier alternative. My accountability buddy is great at kkeeping me on track and I feel great when I get thru the day with out binging on junk! Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Best of luck!

I have days where I can't turn my brain off. Have you tried yoga or meditation? Look for a nice stretching routine on youtube. I have 1 meditation CD, but am looking for more. I find these help me sleep.

Planned snacks - light microwave popcorn is a favorite. A decent serving size for not a lot of calories.

Herbal tea comes in so many flavors. Right now my favorite is Caramel Apple Red tea by Republic of Tea, no sweetener needed.

When watching TV, I always keep a little busy - solitaire, adult coloring book, crochet. Anything to keep my mind off food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    So what do you do when you want to eat? Do you have hobbies? If not then why not? Don't sit around and wait for something to happen but keep yourself busy with something you enjoy. Or something you try and then decide whether you like it or not.

It's mainly after a long day of work and I am tired. I work at home currently at a desk job and get done at like 6 or 7 some nights and just wore out. In addition to that it's dark and gets pretty cold where I live so I can't really go outside. At that time, I am just bored, watching tv. Even during my work hours, I tend to go to the kitchen and just look for a snack while working. When I had to drive to work, I only had so much food with me lol.

I lost my desk job due to COVID but before that I found that if I got some exercise at lunch time I had more energy in the afternoon and was far less prone to boredom snack.

I'm in Massachusetts and would bundle up and walk all winter long, except for rainy days, where I'd do yoga or strength training.

Also, what is your protein goal and are you hitting it? Too many carbs in relationship to protein also makes me want snacky foods.
  • 0atmeel
    bhurley100 wrote: »
    If you have an accountability buddy, talk to them about what your goal of no snacking. Tell them about what triggers you to snack and do what you need to do to prevent you from snacking.

Personally, I have same problem. I have to buy kids reward candy I don't like. I have to move certain temptations too. I throw away crap that I shouldn't be eating that I love. I prep fruits and veggies to help have the easy snacky feeling but with healthier alternative. My accountability buddy is great at kkeeping me on track and I feel great when I get thru the day with out binging on junk! Good luck!

What is an accountability buddy? Do I just tell them "Hey, I want to eat a pie" and they just tell me "No, throw it away and eat a carrot, fatso!" Is that how it works? I heard them that term but never knew how it worked.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2021
    All those great ideas and suggestions already gives you a great place to start. Pick out what works for you. The hardest thing for me to conquer is my mindset. I 'drown my sorrows' with food and as with everyone else, 2020 was a year for doing that. :/ I have to talk more assertively with myself and just say 'stop it' 'you don't need that' 'don't even think about it'. I remember being able to avoid the bakery aisles and freezer sections at the grocery store. They're my biggest downfalls. :( When I feel weak those become my biggest magnets. Now I'm starting to rethink again, hit the produce aisles and fill fill fill my cart up, then top it off with chicken, nonfat plain yogurt, skim milk, eggs, etc.

Find some foods that you'd like to eat instead of what's calling your name in the cupboards. If you're an ice cream craver, use nonfat yogurt and dress it up. If you're the cookie cruncher opt for rice cakes, there are more flavors than cardboard. :) Or plain popcorn sprinkled with cheese. And if there are foods you just cannot ignore, don't allow them in the house to begin with. If you live with other people, have them become your accountability partners. IOW, talk with them about not buying the junk you can't ignore, or at least make them hide it. Cook healthier meals together.

I'm right there with you in spirit @millerjr5. I'm working on making myself stronger mentally so I can again say NO to the foods that tempt me and pull me into a downward repeat. While I can appreciate when people say make room for a special treat in your calorie log or eat 2 cookies instead of 1/2 a box, that's not within my abilities. :( A special treat is enough to make me go off my routine. Silly. And weak. But true. Only You know You and what will work. So try the ideas and see what'll work for YOU. Good luck and best wishes!!!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Sounds like you need something to do rather than needing something to eat. Food is providing stimulus for your bored brain so find something else to occupy you.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    I struggle with bored eating or snacking. I feel like I always need to eat. Sometimes I eat until I feel like I can't walk aroud and my stomach aches. What are some methods have you used to stop the snacking?

These help me:
    A hot drink, like black coffee (my favorite) that has zero calories and is filling
    Sugarless gum

Don't buy food you can't stop eating. Throw it out or give it away. Or tell yourself you can have it, but you have to walk to the store to buy it.

Deal with boredom:
    Practice an enjoyable hobby that occupies your time.
    Go on Youtube and complete an exercise video.
    Do X amount of pushups
    Take an online class.
    Leave the area and go outside for a walk/run.
    Remind yourself of your goals.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I struggle with the lack of self control around snacks as well.

Consuming hot drinks with splenda or sugar-free creamer, miso soup packets, and sugar-free hard candy help me. They give me something flavorful with very little calories.

I also try not to buy junk food unless its a special occasion. If its in the house, I will eat it. My biggest downfall is lunch cakes, so I have taken them to work so that I can only eat them there. I don't snack at my desk too much, so this helps.

I'm going to start trying the "urge-surfing" method as well to develop better control.