Cross Fit, should I ?

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm debating whether to sign up for cross fit? I've heard that a lot of people sustain injuries with that type of work out, is that true? Do you lose weight or just bulk up? I consider myself athletic but I don't have a lot of muscle, especially upper body, could I do it?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You should give it a try, then you'll find out if you like it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up from Crossfit, especially if you eat at a deficit. While there's heavy lifting, I'm not sure how much muscle it would build, or how efficiently, even if you were at a surplus given that the workouts are not a consistent, progressive overload.

Yes, lots of people sustain injuries. Some "coaches" are only CrossFit certified, others have more experience. Some will scream and push you, even through bad form, some won't. If you're interested, look into it. It can be pricey, it can be intense, it can be elitist. There's pros and cons, and this thread will get you lovers and haters. You'll also likely get a message from health-Gal telling you all about the pitfalls of CrossFit. Many boxes push the Paleo diet. as well. You'll just have to try it to see if it's a fit for you. I'm intrigued by the idea myself, have done some WOD at home, but am not particularly interested in joining a box at this point. For monetary reasons, and for the "CrossFit is the best workout ever!!!!!!" mentality that oozes off the websites of the boxes local to my area.
  • jpresson3
    Options
    The key is you! I am a converted cardio guy (I didn't like weight lifting) that is hooked on crossfit. I have had awesome instructors that emphasized form over speed. It is a very high intensity workout that when done right, builds lean muscle and overall great health benefits. If done incorrectly, yes injury's can result. But isn't that with all workouts. Many boxes require an intro class to teach you all the proper technique on all lifts and moves. I dropped overe 20 pounds and 4 inches in a 6 month period using it without injury and I was an still am a novice at most lifts. Hope this helps. You can friend me if you have more questions.