HR at peak yet I don't feel winded?

Options
Ok, so for background, im 5'7" and 235lbs, so im classified as morbidly obese. I have noticed that since starting working out a few weeks ago my resting heart rate has lowered significantly. I'm at an average of 82bpm where as it used to hang around 100bpm while resting. The thing i'm wondering about is that while doing vigorous cardio my heart rate shows between 165-200bpm but I don't feel like i'm winded. Now, I feel it in my muscles and everything, but I don't feel out of breath. Every other time I've started up an exercise routine I'd start to get out of breath fairly quickly once my heart rate got high. Is this normal?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your HR?
  • violaesmith85
    violaesmith85 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your HR?

Fitbit Versa 2

• violaesmith85
    violaesmith85 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1) Wrist monitors aren't that accurate. Mine changes HR depending on how tight it is on my wrist.
    2) You may just have a high HR. I do. I am 63 but my maximum is at least 185, though I am fairly fit. The average of 220 minus your age is a formula that doesn't work for a lot of people. It is an average, not specific to the individual.
    3) As you get more fit, you may find your maximum decreasing.
    4) As long as you feel like you are comfortable, able to talk whole sentences while working out, then go by that. Effort is what matters, not an arbitrary number.

That makes sense, thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,325 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    1) Wrist monitors aren't that accurate. Mine changes HR depending on how tight it is on my wrist.
    2) You may just have a high HR. I do. I am 63 but my maximum is at least 185, though I am fairly fit. The average of 220 minus your age is a formula that doesn't work for a lot of people. It is an average, not specific to the individual.
    3) As you get more fit, you may find your maximum decreasing.
    4) As long as you feel like you are comfortable, able to talk whole sentences while working out, then go by that. Effort is what matters, not an arbitrary number.

I assume (hope) that by #3 you meant that as you get fitter, any given level of exertion (such as a specific walking/running pace) will cause a lower peak HR than it did when less fit. That's true.

Your actual HRmax typically doesn't change with fitness changes. It tends to decline with age, but IMU people who stay routinely active as they age usually experience a slower rate of decline.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes you're right. I meant that the HR would be lower with the same effort - at least for most people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'd verify that the Fitbit is actually picking up your HR accurately during exercise. Depending on movement during exercise it might not be.

If it is accurate then your Max HR simply happens to be high and if you aren't distressed at those numbers don't worry about it.

"Is it normal?" - actual Max HR is very varied between individuals, mine is slightly higher than the normal formula would indicate, my brother could exceed 200bpm well into his 60's so far more of an outlier.

Good news about your RHR dropping significantly, well done as that's a good indicator of improving fitness and heart health.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I use a chest monitor. When I started out - obese and unfit - I would get out of breath when my HR went up at all.

The first improvement I noticed was the HR coming down faster after I stopped. Then the RHR lowered. Now I am a healthy weight and fit and I rarely get totally out of breath even when up near my max. My body tells me to stop but it's not because I'm winded.