Logging Food

Options
I find logging food to be my most obnoxious struggle. The truth is, I know I lose weight when I log my food, but I cannot get into the habit of doing it. I'm not far off my goal weight, I need to really commit to logging somehow. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What do you find difficult about it? Knowing that would help us know what to suggest.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    Are there things you eat commonly? doesn't matter if it's a raw product or something ready-made. When you use the app and start typing in the ingredient then the recently used ones will show up first. Also, it's really easy and quick to log while cooking. After a while you might have a good idea of how much you can eat. For me this usually looks like

Today I cooked a pork steak with (don't judge me) precooked potatoes, mixed tinned veggies and an instant pepper sauce. Ok. When I take everything out of the fridge
    * I trim the bone off the meat and weigh it, log. Put aside
    * scan drained veggies. I know I might be off there a bit, but I just go with what's on the packaging as the degree of draining makes this unreliable anyway.
    * Scan potatoes and quickly check for right database entry.
    * Scan sauce package, decide half a pack will do for me. Log 27gr.
    * Pan on hob. Put bottle of oil on scale. Switch scale on. Pour oil into pan. Weigh bottle again. Log in grams.
    * Quick check on how much potato I can add to my meal to stay within calories. Ah, 200gr. Perfect.
    * Put meat and 200gr of potatoes into pan. Pan fry.
    * Start making sauce to instruction and weighing out 27gr of powder (yes, I know...)
    * Put veggies into bowl and into microwave (yeah.. really)
    * Eat.

Overall the weighing has taken up less than 1 minute of extra time. Yes, I did weight a bit more, but that was done during idle time when cooking. No problem. Not tedious at all.
  • mugginskate
    mugginskate Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do think it's just a "get in the habit" issue. I find it a tedious task and wrongfully think I can just estimate in my head. Then if there are days that I know I'm going overboard, I really don't want to log. And boom, I'm out of the habit. I have my husband helping to keep me accountable this week, so that helps.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Once you do it for a week or two, you will likely find that entries you tend to use are in the recents, which makes it a lot easier, too.