Beyond Love?

Options

Replies

• JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I was not aware of that. I think of it as part of the New Age movement.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    JessBbody wrote: »

It is part of the New Age movement, but I think some particularly narcissistic New Age types found the concept appealing and adopted it as part of their arsenal of tactics to disarm potential lovers/victims. It was used on me at one point and I've heard from other narcissistic partner survivors that it has been used on them. :grimace:

Funny thing is that once upon a time, I used to believe in a soulmate and/or twin-flame type scenario (although I never called it by those terms). Life happened, I died inside.. and now I am pragmatic to the core.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Also, am I the only one who keeps wanting to read the title of this thread as "Beyond Meat" as though we're debating meat alternatives? No? Only me... ah well.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Do you think there is anything beyond love? And what would that feel like?

Feeling love is the highest of highs, but to go beyond it would really be something else.

Beyond Love?

Like driving thru the suburbs of Toledo ?

wait.

no.

Akron.

fc38c4ecefd1c168e7ca5db83708b339.gif
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    It is part of the New Age movement, but I think some particularly narcissistic New Age types found the concept appealing and adopted it as part of their arsenal of tactics to disarm potential lovers/victims. It was used on me at one point and I've heard from other narcissistic partner survivors that it has been used on them. :grimace:

My narcissist used "kindred spirits". Same deal. Convey unique and somewhat cosmic affinity.

When I think of love beyond the personal interactional level it's probably along the lines of agape. That's still love though.
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Funny thing is that once upon a time, I used to believe in a soulmate and/or twin-flame type scenario (although I never called it by those terms). Life happened, I died inside.. and now I am pragmatic to the core.

What a way to take something beautiful and twist it into something ugly.
    Must be some of the same people in the pickup culture.
    I'm sorry someone did that to you.

I'm gonna have to keep my hippie-dippy version of the idea.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

My narcissist used "kindred spirits". Same deal. Convey unique and somewhat cosmic affinity.

When I think of love beyond the personal interactional level it's probably along the lines of agape. That's still love though.

Ugh, mine too! Do we know the same weirdo??? :unamused:
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

What a way to take something beautiful and twist it into something ugly.
    Must be some of the same people in the pickup culture.
    I'm sorry someone did that to you.

I'm gonna have to keep my hippie-dippy version of the idea.

You do that. I don't want to diminish anyone's concepts or beliefs in love (or anything, really). I recognize that I am personally very jaded and have been from a very young age. A lot of that has to do with personal experiences.

But it's nice to know there are people out there who still believe in things like everlasting love, or kindred spirits (in a non-predatory way), or the true essence of love. It's sweet.

I just don't believe I will ever experience it. And that's okay (for me). :)
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the fence about "twin flames" I love all that hippy hopeless romantic junk 😂. But I haven't been on the side of someone evil using the term but rather myself maybe mistakenly applying it to a unsuitable match. Kinda falls into that other thread about coincidence. Is it fate tho!?!? 🤷🏻‍♀️ What do the stars say? What do the Tarrot say? Read my palm. I love that stuff. Some days I believe in it. Some days I just laugh and my strictly logical side tells me that I'm just lost to a dream that I made up to cope.
    Though I really felt what a youtuber was saying about how when she was in a relationship with someone who was a "hurt locker" (someone you obsesse over that pushes your psychological buttons) and because she always felt confused about where she stood in the relationship and he wouldn't communicate she turned to the stars. It's kinda obvious when you put it like that. The signs are actually clear that it's not going in the direction that you want so you will find any route to the possibility that this situation could work.
    Then again you can't always explain everything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I'm always teetering the line of reality and reality 2.0

But to bring the subject back to beyond love. Like, I don't think there is something beyond. My earlier answer of euphoria is probably just another form of love. Love of everything, every sensation.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    There is nothing beyond the purest love, which is transcendence, nirvana, agape, whatever you want to call it. It’s not about attachment.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Love isn’t a feeling.
    Love is an action.
    Sometimes it’s hard.
    Sometimes it’s easy.

Like the band Star says “hold on when you get love and let go when you give it”.
  • scratchmyTwitch
    scratchmyTwitch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    Love isn’t a feeling.
    Love is an action.
    Sometimes it’s hard.
    Sometimes it’s easy.

Like the band Star says “hold on when you get love and let go when you give it”.

If this is true - and maybe it is - then it only requires two or more willing participants and the specifics of who they are don’t matter all that much. You can just love the one you’re with.
  • scratchmyTwitch
    Options
    Love isn’t a feeling.
    Love is an action.
    Sometimes it’s hard.
    Sometimes it’s easy.

If this is true - and maybe it is - then it only requires two or more willing participants and the specifics of who they are don’t matter all that much. You can just love the one you’re with.
    But if it’s true, and I think it might be, it’s sad to me. Because it would be lovely to have a fire and desire and connectedness that drives the necessary work. It would be lovely to really FEEL.
  • fstrickl
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Love isn’t a feeling.
    Love is an action.
    Sometimes it’s hard.
    Sometimes it’s easy.

But if it’s true, and I think it might be, it’s sad to me. Because it would be lovely to have a fire and desire and connectedness that drives the necessary work. It would be lovely to really FEEL.

I’m also transcending the notion of romantic love. To only define love in terms between two people cheapens what love is. I think we can only focus on the love we give, and like everything else, it’s a practise. You need to practise it every day (just like making healthy food choices) in order to become someone who shows love to those all around them. Even the ones it is uncomfortable to do so with. (Note: loving others does not mean allowing yourself to be walked on).

I’m also one of those people that is distrustful of ~feelings~ but wishes I wasn’t. So yeah feeling love (whatever that is, serotonin) all the time would be nice, but I think the practise of it is beautiful in its own way.
  • scratchmyTwitch
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Love isn’t a feeling.
    Love is an action.
    Sometimes it’s hard.
    Sometimes it’s easy.

I’m also transcending the notion of romantic love. To only define love in terms between two people cheapens what love is. I think we can only focus on the love we give, and like everything else, it’s a practise. You need to practise it every day (just like making healthy food choices) in order to become someone who shows love to those all around them. Even the ones it is uncomfortable to do so with. (Note: loving others does not mean allowing yourself to be walked on).
    Yes, I was raised with the idea that love is service. And that in a good relationship both parties put each other’s needs ahead of their own. If they both do this, the relationship should be equitable.

I can’t say it isn’t true but I can say that it doesn’t necessarily bring happiness. I do often wish I could believe something else.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    There is nothing beyond the purest love, which is transcendence, nirvana, agape, whatever you want to call it. It’s not about attachment.

I see that you too have enjoyed the combination burrito special at Taco Cabana.

"Purest Love" pretty much sums it up, right?
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Ok, found the soul mate and all that, but in a couple decades he kinda misplaced the armor and the white horse, and my golden aura is at best frizzy, shredded and a poopy brown. No euphoria and no regrets.
    To answer the question, I don’t know what’s beyond, because I’m not done yet.
  • fstrickl
    Options
    GabiV125 wrote: »
    Ok, found the soul mate and all that, but in a couple decades he kinda misplaced the armor and the white horse, and my golden aura is at best frizzy, shredded and a poopy brown. No euphoria and no regrets.
    To answer the question, I don’t know what’s beyond, because I’m not done yet.

I like that, makes life seem so much more of an adventure!

@scratchmyTwitch I feel ya on the feeling part. 💛
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Somewhere between a 5 and 6, maybe? <3
    7639159i4s6t.jpg

Pretty sure I'm permanently between a 7 and 8 for all things, concurrently.