Canned artichoke calorie accuracy?

Options
chris89topher
chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
edited December 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I'm Chris and I have OCD! LOL.

Ok, let's say you have several cans of different brands of artichoke hearts. The net weight is the same for each of them (drained). But when you look at the calories listed they are very different calorie amounts for the entire can: 60, 75, 90 and 140 depending on brand. None of them have anything obviously different about them ingredient wise. How would you figure which one is closer to being correct??

Sadly, it only let's me post one picture.

an40vzbe8zet.png

Replies

• amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you - my first thought was that they were canned in different things, some in oil, some in water, etc. but if the ingredient list is the same then I don't know.

I'm really just commenting to say definitely double check the nutrition info once you have the actual item. I can't tell you the number of times I ordered something through Walmart grocery and was surprised when the nutritional facts on the actual item were very different from what was shown on the site.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    amart4224 wrote: »
    I don't have an answer for you - my first thought was that they were canned in different things, some in oil, some in water, etc. but if the ingredient list is the same then I don't know.

I'm really just commenting to say definitely double check the nutrition info once you have the actual item. I can't tell you the number of times I ordered something through Walmart grocery and was surprised when the nutritional facts on the actual item were very different from what was shown on the site.

The can for that one matches the website, and none of them have oil. The labels show all the same ingredients and net weight. I just don't get how the numbers are so different.

These are some of the little things in life that occupy my brain at night. 😂
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Typically 2 pieces of quartered marinated artichoke hearts are about 15 calories. I have noticed that same number across multiple different brands.