Gym vs DVD workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Gym for the graft, Dvd for the conditioning.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    It's purely a cost thing for me. I work out at home because I can't afford to join any of the gyms near me!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can accomplish more with the equipment available at a gym than you ever could at home with a few sets of dumbbells and a home treadmill or elliptical. No DVD could ever lead you through a workout that is as effective as what you can achieve with gym gear. That being said, doing so requires a degree of knowledge most people don't have, and working out in gym environment can make it more difficult for some people.

I prefer doing at home workouts, but not to DVDs. If you think you need DVDs to lead you through a workout at home, well.... Actually I can't complete that sentence without blatantly insulting your intelligence. Sorry.

Anyway, I work out at home with sandbags and suspension trainers and a jump rope. I know what I'm doing well enough to get results without having a DVD lead me through a workout.

I am going to be perfectly honest. I don't feel that people who NEED a DVD to lead them through a workout DESERVE the benefits of a fit and healthy lifestyle. You owe it to yourself to do some research and to learn about how to do all this on your own, with nobody holding your hand on the way. And if you can't be bothered to do so, well then... Sorry.

Wow, you sure are ignorant.

Anyway, I like to mix it up. I play a lot of tennis year round, I also have a gym membership that I should use more, but planning to go more in the winter. I also do occasional dvd's (I must be stupid), and I have an elliptical, bike, dumbbells, and a few other things at home. I go for walks outdoors too once in a while.
  • l0sing_it
    Options
    I am going to be doing both. I do cardio workouts on the elliptical and treadmill at the gym simply because it is cheaper than buying the equipment. I am also doing a home workout program right now. I go to the gym before work and do my workout at home after the kids go to bed for the night :)
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do both :) but gym is better
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The gym works far better for me. I go six days a week now. My goals are getting closer, the closer they get the more I grind...
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Working out at home is a better fit for me. I use to sign up for gym memberships and go balls to the wall for a couple of months. Then my excitement dies down or the winter hits etc. At home I have no excuses. Throw on my workout clothes and indoor sneakers and off I go.

I do Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home dvd's, YouTube vids like Fitness Blender or Blogilates. I just started Cathe Friedrich's Slow and Heavy series and I really like it. Still feeling the burn from yesterday's session. I also do Pilates at home on my machine, bodyweight exercises, powerwalk/jogging intervals outdoors for a few miles and I take a fitness class 2 nights per week. I like mixing things up. :)

Combined with a healthy diet, I lost around 80 lbs at home!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home too, it's great
  • LunaJing
    Options
    Acturally i prefer DVD at home, it's more conveinet and cheaper. but the thing is DVDs are easy broken which can not be played anymore, i've been broke several of them. so later i convert them to my pc and ipad,ipone, so i can exercise anywhere at any time.
    drm-assistant.com/dvdrippingsoftware.html
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Acturally i prefer DVD at home, it's more conveinet and cheaper. but the thing is DVDs are easy broken which can not be played anymore, i've been broke several of them. so later i convert them to my pc and ipad,ipone, so i can exercise anywhere at any time.
    drm-assistant.com/dvdrippingsoftware.html

Nice one...thats my plan too...to convert them to my pc. Thanks all for the replies, I guess I must try both and see what works bettter for me.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I saw AMAZING results with DVD's. beach body, Debbie seibbers slim in 6. (only ever did the first work out, start it up :p) but in 6 months, I went from 230 to 204, lost 40 inches, went from size 32 to 14. then after pregnancy, I joined a gym, liked the variety and went from 254 to 210 in about 4 months. both are awesome. still do my slim in 6 as well as the gym
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can accomplish more with the equipment available at a gym than you ever could at home with a few sets of dumbbells and a home treadmill or elliptical. No DVD could ever lead you through a workout that is as effective as what you can achieve with gym gear. That being said, doing so requires a degree of knowledge most people don't have, and working out in gym environment can make it more difficult for some people.

I prefer doing at home workouts, but not to DVDs. If you think you need DVDs to lead you through a workout at home, well.... Actually I can't complete that sentence without blatantly insulting your intelligence. Sorry.

Anyway, I work out at home with sandbags and suspension trainers and a jump rope. I know what I'm doing well enough to get results without having a DVD lead me through a workout.

I am going to be perfectly honest. I don't feel that people who NEED a DVD to lead them through a workout DESERVE the benefits of a fit and healthy lifestyle. You owe it to yourself to do some research and to learn about how to do all this on your own, with nobody holding your hand on the way. And if you can't be bothered to do so, well then... Sorry.

Anyway, I like to mix it up. I play a lot of tennis year round, I also have a gym membership that I should use more, but planning to go more in the winter. I also do occasional dvd's (I must be stupid), and I have an elliptical, bike, dumbbells, and a few other things at home. I go for walks outdoors too once in a while.

Thank you for pointing this out (another dummy here) ..... I guess if I deserved to be fit I would take dance classes so that I could learn to choreograph my own (aerobic) step routines. It might take a few years, but I guess I'm just lazy like that.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Thank you for pointing this out (another dummy here) ..... I guess if I deserved to be fit I would take dance classes so that I could learn to choreograph my own (aerobic) step routines. It might take a few years, but I guess I'm just lazy like that.

I believe that everything you will ever do or own comes with a certain amount of knowledge you must learn. I believe people who can't be bothered to learn to change a tire, check their air pressure, and check their fluids don't deserve to own cars. I believe people who can't be bothered to learn what an antivirus is, or how to check how much space is available on their hard drive, shouldn't own computers. And I believe people who can't be bothered to learn enough about fitness to put together their own effective workout regimen don't deserve to be fit. Everything you will ever attempt in life comes with a responsibility to learn. There are no exceptions to this. And I truly do feel that people who attempt to ignore this responsibility don't deserve it.

Back to the topic at hand though, you can THEORETICALLY achieve more at the gym purely because of the equipment available. But not everyone can perform at their best while in a public setting and that is perfectly understandable. I do my workouts at home using equipment I have purchased. But make no mistake, if I were comfortable in a gym setting I would not hesitate to get a gym membership because I know that with a squat rack, a bench, and the added safety of having people around who have some degree of first aid training, I can achieve more and safely push harder.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Holy judgement batman. This is the first thread that I've ever read that I actually did think was almost getting mean.

Seriously? People deserve what they work for. If they pay someone to fix their computer for them, they deserve a well-functioning computer. If they pay someone to build a house for them, they deserve a house. If they need a personal trainer to hold them accountable, then they deserve what they work for. If they need a DVD to walk them through a workout, then they deserve the results of that workout. If they need 1000 MFP friends for support, then they deserve the support of 1000 friends. Not everyone can be everything in all situations. And I doubt either of you can.

Get over yourselves, jesus.

OP - do whatever is going to make you work the hardest. Take the results, and go on with your day. If you want the most ideal, most optimal results, then there are certain things you should or shouldn't be doing. Otherwise, bust your *kitten* and go on about your business.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mother of 2 4 year old twin boys so I have NEVER worked out or stepped foot in a gym. I work out from home and I absolutely love it. It's all about what works best for you and what will keep you motivated. Find something you love
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I deserve the 45lb loss I've achieved working out with DVD's....thnx :)
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I do both. It depends on how much time I have.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Holy judgement batman. This is the first thread that I've ever read that I actually did think was almost getting mean.

Seriously? People deserve what they work for. If they pay someone to fix their computer for them, they deserve a well-functioning computer. If they pay someone to build a house for them, they deserve a house. If they need a personal trainer to hold them accountable, then they deserve what they work for. If they need a DVD to walk them through a workout, then they deserve the results of that workout. If they need 1000 MFP friends for support, then they deserve the support of 1000 friends. Not everyone can be everything in all situations. And I doubt either of you can.

Get over yourselves, jesus.

OP - do whatever is going to make you work the hardest. Take the results, and go on with your day. If you want the most ideal, most optimal results, then there are certain things you should or shouldn't be doing. Otherwise, bust your *kitten* and go on about your business.

you're awesome, and that person's a jack off.