Do you take life seriously?

chuckle_bunny
chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
Personally, I think it's good to take life seriously. Why not, you only get one and you're not promised to live to the end of the day.

There seems to be a common opinion though that people who don't take life seriously are more fun to be around and are more easy-going. When looking for a partner you'll often see that people want someone who "doesn't take life too seriously."

If I didn't take life seriously I'd probably be casually late to everything and wear an obnoxious Hawaiian shirt while doing it.

By taking life seriously I'm able to focus on what's important, which is very little, and downplay everything else. I have a good idea of what I want to get out of this life, but don't ask me what that is because I'm still trying to figure it out 😆.

Thoughts?

Replies

• CaramonM
    CaramonM Posts: 263 Member
    I am still trying to decide. Sometimes, when I reflect on my life circumstances...I should conclude that I probably don't.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Yeah but just try to manage my expectations.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Life is serious, like in trying to stay alive, and healthy

...but everything else is a perspective

..like being happy, or able, or secure (and stuff)

• JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    I take life very seriously. Which is actually pretty counterintuitive because I don't believe we only get one shot at it.

Most people will experience some kind of heartbreak and devastation in a lifetime, the effects of which can last for years. Some people suffer for ages physically or mentally through no fault of their own but by being victims of the genetic lottery. Things are too serious not to take seriously.

The good things can be serious too. Loving someone, romantic or otherwise, commitment, success, these things all come with risk of loss. But these things are also what makes life fun, and thus not as serious.

Humor can be an escape. I'm lucky to have always had people to laugh with. About a billion times humor has kept me afloat or pulled me out of a dark place. Wherever there are funny people, that's where I like to be. That's what keeps me from taking life too seriously.

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Yes, but I don't make it complicated.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    very srsly
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I take it very seriously, but only in regards for my family.

For myself, nope.

Except for my lawn. Don't touch it.
    Not even a little.
  • accio_doughnuts
    accio_doughnuts Posts: 88 Member
    I take the serious stuff (work, family, health, responsibilities, ect) serious. And everything else, I try and keep it light, and have fun.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    I think you need a balance of the two. There are times when you need to be serious (I. E. A funeral, dealing with finances, work, etc) and times where it's good to be a little chill and just roll with it.

Sometimes you can't help being late. Do what you can, and if something happens that's beyond your control... Just shake it off. Have fun. Laugh a little. Take some chances. Fail from time to time.

The book "the subtle art of not giving a *kitten*" is really good for this. We have a finite amount of f*cks to give... So we need to pick which ones matter to us.

So yeah... Only serious all the time... Would drive me craaaaazy. As would living with a constant clown.

Generally, I take life way too seriously, but... The closer someone is to me, the less seriously I take a funeral. Funerals are for the living and I prefer to live while in the midst of it - for my loved one. To notice and appreciate the people that cared for and respected my person enough to take the time to come. In my experience, every moment outside of that was excruciating; but the funeral or visitation was supposed to be the celebration and acknowledgement that the person truly lived in the time they had.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,841 Member
    Not usually. No. 🤷‍♀️
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    JessBbody wrote: »
    I take life very seriously. Which is actually pretty counterintuitive because I don't believe we only get one shot at it.
    Can I hear more about this?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yes, I do.
    I don't recommend it.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    I'm just here for a laugh
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    JessBbody wrote: »
    Can I hear more about this?

Probably too much to expound on here, since the topic skates on discussing religion/spirituality.

Without pontificating too much, long story short is that reincarnation makes a lot more sense to me than all the other theories, if one believes that the source of creation is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving (i.e. is Love). It explains a purpose to suffering which sits better with me than punitive reasons such as original sin and the like.

Thanks for asking.

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Yes.. and that's why I am where I am.

Also why I'm usually such a goof around here. It's the only place I can be silly and let "me" out to play. There are too many "in life" expectations I have to meet, put on me by both myself and others.