why is soup filling but smoothies aren’t?

Options
not a serious question but i love soup is much it’s so filling but in the past whenever i had a smoothie it wasn’t filling at all

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't do smoothies. They don't fill me.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    What is the macro breakdown of each?

Does the soup have oil and a protein source?

Is the smoothie mostly fruit?

Your body breaks down simple sugars quickly. Downing a fruit smoothie in a few minutes wouldn't satiate you longer than taking your time with a chicken noodle soup, if the calories are equal.

I drink smoothies but not with the intention of satiating hunger. I want the energy and nutrients. But there are many different ways people make smoothies.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    For me, neither is filling.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends on the soup or smoothie.
    If either have a lot of protein per cup I find it quite filling, if there is a lot of fat or carbs (like a creamy soup or smoothie with high fat yogurt, peanut butter, juice) it's more hidden and I don't feel the calories as much.
    If I make a smoothie with too many high fibre fruits and vegetables, it's thick and filling.

Oh and temperature can make a difference. Hot soup, takes longer to eat and you tend to feel fuller sooner. Cold smoothies, you tend to drink faster and don't register.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Satiety is highly individual, but if I was filled by soup and not by smoothies at about the same amount of calories, my first guess would be that there was a macro difference that was driving that. I don't find fruit particularly filling at all, especially if it is blended. Most smoothies have a pretty good amount of sugar and they can really vary when it comes to fat and protein (some have a lot, some don't).

I still drink them sometimes, especially in the summer. But I don't count on them filling me up, I'll have them either as part of a larger meal or when I'm in the mood for something light.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I find smoothies and soup both filling (at least, made the way I do), but a couple of reasons soup might be more so for the cals (other than macros, which are discussed above) is that some people find drinking something less filling than eating, and similarly eating the same volume of soup is likely to take longer, since spooning it up can be slow.

My smoothies tend to have some protein and fat, more veg than fruit, and plenty of fiber, and also to be a pretty high volume that means they take a while to consume. For me, that's likely why they are filling. I've tried even reasonable cal/reasonably healthy smoothies (no added sugar or fruit juice, at least some protein, fat, and greens) from local restaurants that sell them, and for basically the same cals would get a much smaller volume with more cals from fruit, and for me, while those were tasty, they were not filling for long. And I'm someone who finds EATING (rather than drinking) fruit reasonably filling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of soup...well, mostly "stoups" that are pretty full of chunky veg, meat, potatoes, etc...there's usually a whole lot packed in there the way I do soup, so they're usually pretty filling.

Smoothie depends...pre COVID, the gym I was going to had a smoothie bar. I would often get one on Saturday mornings after my spin class as my breakfast. The one I usually ate had a good bit of peanut butter in it and was pretty thick and pretty filling...another one was fruitier, but had quite a bit of coconut and coconut cream, so pretty filling as well.

When I was doing endurance cycling events I used to make a recovery smoothie after my long rides of 30 miles +. It was a lot of fruit and some ice and full fat greek yogurt...it wasn't particularly filling, but that's what I wanted because I wasn't particularly hungry after a ride like that, but I needed the quick calories and sugar so I wasn't crashed out on my butt the rest of the day...as I recall, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1000 calorie smoothie.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are MORE filling than my soups - for smoothies I work to get the macros plus fiber into the sweet spot that I know satiates me, while with soups I just follow the recipe.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Liquid-y soups don't really fill me up that much. Smoothies not at all, btw. But soups fill me up if I eat them with a big chunk of bread. I love bread.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Soup takes longer to eat. I eat my smoothie with a spoon and it's very filling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Liquid-y soups don't really fill me up that much. Smoothies not at all, btw. But soups fill me up if I eat them with a big chunk of bread. I love bread.

This time of year, I normally send cookies to out-of-state friends, but am into making bread this year instead. Not sure how well it will ship, but am going to give it a shot. Made a test pumpernickel boule tonight, and ate it with Spanish Chorizo, Ham and White Bean Stew. Yum!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    not a serious question but i love soup is much it’s so filling but in the past whenever i had a smoothie it wasn’t filling at all

@trulyhealy Most soups start with a base of homemade broth or canned broth. That broth has fat, fat, fat and fat has far more satiety value than a smoothie without any fats. A fruit smoothie with no fats won't hold your hunger at bay. If you add a protein powder that can help but almost all protein powders are made out of denatured proteins that are created in a lab and manufactured in a plant. You can't duplicate mother nature in a lab or plant.

I make my own homemade bone broth. That process takes 3 days and the end result is rocket fuel. It tides you over, it holds you over and it makes you feel sooo good. Soups have lasting satiety due to the fat, fat, fat content.
    Add your favorite condiments and add-ins and you are cookin' and runnin' on all cyclinders.

8l0zhai0jd2a.png

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    I put four pounds of chicken in my last batch of dried bean soup. That might have something to do with it.

Seriously, I spent the first 18 months having the same smoothie every morning, and it kept me full til lunch time. I padded it out with a ton of ice, and ate it with a teaspoon to make it last and feel like I was a “volume eater”. Then, one day, it no longer held me.

I started having shaved ham sandwiches, or chopped chicken wraps, the occasional egg something, pancakes, even a big ole supersize gourmet donut.

This is making me crave a smoothie, though. Might soak some almonds and make some almond milk in the morning and see what I can make of the bag of frozen mango hidden in the bottom of the freezer....