Here I go again

toon31
toon31 Posts: 7 Member
New here, 45 years old and just been told I have high cholesterol and a fatty liver. Also potentially diabetic. So need to lose 40lb. Have done WW before but need a change, so ended up here. Intend to take it slowly so the first target is 5lb off. Interested to hear your tips on using MFP and also for what I expect will be a longish journey of weight loss. Its taken along time to get to this weight so I guess it will take a while to lose again. Frustrated by the fact I don't lose weight as easily as I once did.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Food scale is a must. Weigh everything. Pick accurate database entries. Pick a reasonable rate of loss per week. I have another 35 lbs to go and I pick 1 lb a week. Choose the activity level that matches what you do pre exercise. For me, that’s sedentary as I have a desk job. I lift weights 4-5 days a week and do some form of cardio 6-7 days a week and I log my exercise separately.

If you exercise keep in mind many of the database entries are over inflated. For example, most of us won’t burn 800 calories doing 40 min of HIIT.
  • toon31
    Thanks for that. I'm trying to keep within the food calories and ignoring the extras I gain from my fibit. I'm taking 800 extra calories from walking 14,000 steps with a pinch of salt. Rather suspect I wouldn't be this overweight if it worked as easily as that.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    What changes have you made, in terms of what/how much you were eating/drinking before vs now? An important part of the process (my opinion) is to make changes you can live with. For me, that means being active some each day (because I'm lazy and moving more is good for the body) and treating my calorie needs like a budget.
  • toon31
    I've cut my portion sizes and also trying to cut out the snacking such as a bag of salted peanuts in one go. Theory is if I make small changes I can figure what makes a difference and also try and make it sustainable without being hungry all the time. Same as you in making changes you can live with. Struggling with the exercise as due to current restrictions I can't play badminton or go swimming and I'm not walking as much as I would normally due to working from home. I've always found that staying motivated and getting bored with it are my biggest problems when trying to get in shape. Although I have my health as a big motivating factor this time.