Going gluten free?

Options
Since so many people in my family are allergic to gluten, I am taking it out of my diet to see how my body reacts. Any tips or advice for me? Things that make it easier? I have about 12 loaves of gluten free bread to take home this week.

I have several cousins that are allergic to corn, soy, gluten, milk and eggs.

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Before you do that have yourself tested for gluten intolerance. Removing gluten without a medical reason is not necessary though you can definitely add grains that are naturally gluten free to your diet.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The last time I took gluten out of my diet I lost almost 20 pounds in two weeks. Once I get my medical back I plan on having a blood test to see what I am allergic to.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from the Gluten free substitutes when you first start out. So try eating meat, fruit, vegetables, rice and potatoes. Then gradually add in gluten free grains and see how your body reacts. This method is cheaper than paying to get tested.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    Get the blood test done first to see if you are actually gluten sensitive or have celiac's disease. If you stop eating gluten before you take it the test will come back negative even if you have gluten sensitivity. Celiacs and gluten sensitivity put you at greater risk of developing osteoperosis and other issues caused by malnutrition. Those are issues that your physician will want to monitor.

I had my blood test for celiac's this morning. I ate wheat products all last week and this week to prep for it. Now that I've had the test I'm going to do the FODMAP elimination diet.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I find it much easier to look for things that are naturally gluten-free, and constantly keep a list in my head of "safe" options. For example, most latin foods (generally made with corn), salads (unless they have croutons), grilled seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, beans, chickpeas, yogurt, kefir, milk, roasted chicken (though check if purchasing pre-made), etc. are all naturally gluten-free. If you're missing grains, rice, corn, polenta, grits, quinoa, and buckwheat are gluten-free naturally.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I have three months until I will have medical again.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would add to not try to change too much else in your diet, because otherwise you wouldn't know if it was the gluten or the other thing. I was trying to go gluten free for a bit as an elimination diet, but then I got super stressed out over another issue and that was causing me stomach problems, so I could no longer tell what gluten free was doing and decided to put it on hold until other things calmed down. But anyway, I wouldn't get rid of gluten and soy for instance, or you won't know which one it is bothering you.

I bought some rice pasta at trader joe's and it was just fine. I'm not a fan of the corn tortilla wraps. I was using potatos a little more often because I'm jsut a carb addict :P Larabars were a good on the go snack. I didn't find it too difficult unless I hadn't planned and I was hungry while at work or something like that.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Get checked for gluten sensitivity by a doctor. A gluten free diet
    makes it all the more difficult to get the fiber your body needs.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have three months until I will have medical again.

You could call and ask our doctor to do a test if you are concern about this for yourself.
    He/She could mail the lab slip to you, go have the blood drawn and wait a few days for results.

They can call you with results .. and thereby saving you the time/expense of going into the office.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I plan on adding more fruits and veggies to replace some of my grains
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is no test to test for gluten intolerance/sensitivity!!! You can be tested for Celiac disease, and you can be tested for an actually allergy, but you can still get quite sick from an intolerance that will not show up on any blood test. There is nothing wrong with cutting gluten out to see if it makes a difference for you or not.
  • bhallyktkt
    Options
    I cut gluten out about 6 weeks ago and I feel so much better. Gone is the heartburn and sour stomach every night, gone are "most" of my sugar cravings. I never had a blood test. A week or so ago I did intentionally have food heavy with gluten to see how I reacted...it was not pleasant.

Just make sure you are getting your nutritional needs met via other healthy alternatives.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried eliminating the other foods which are said to be responsible for most sensitivities:

corn, dairy, peanuts, soy?
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm grain, dairy, and added salt and sugar free. I feel like a million bucks. First time since I was eighteen that I have NO cravings or desire to binge, and trust me, that was NUMEROUS presidential terms ago.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The last time I took gluten out of my diet I lost almost 20 pounds in two weeks. Once I get my medical back I plan on having a blood test to see what I am allergic to.
    No offence but it's impossible to lose 20 pounds of fat in two weeks, that's 10 weeks work MINIMUM unless you are severely overweight even then it's no less than 5 except for extreme circumstances
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you are experiencing some of the ill effects of a gluten intolerance there is no reason to cut it out and you won't lose weight just by doing it. Gluten free products generally have more calories than regular foods, are expensive and taste like crap. My granddaughter is celiac and my husband has a wheat allergy. We've found the best solution is to just not eat foods with gluten in them.
  • kasey98226
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant (but LOVE cheese and creamy foods) other than the occasional stomach upset when pregnant if I ate too much dairy, I never knew something was up. I eliminated dairy 2 months ago for 2 weeks, and my skin cleared up a lot, lost a few pounds, and did nothing else different other than cutting out dairy. A month ago I drank a few coffee shakes, made/ate some ice cream, and was naughty. Broke out, and felt bloated. Didn't gain much scaled weight, but I was moving around a lot more than I was before. Minor/moderate food interferences are hard to notice until you cut them out for a while. My friend cut out gluten and had similar results.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Celiac Disease is genetic, so if you have family members who have it, you could have it too. However, to be tested for it, you have to have gluten in your diet for the antibodies to be present. If you just want to experiment, I would eat normally and keep a very detailed food diary about how you feel physically and emotionally. Then take out gluten and see if anything changes. There are a lot of different symptoms of celiac disease though, it is would probably just be easier to go get the blood test first.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No offence but it's impossible to lose 20 pounds of fat in two weeks, that's 10 weeks work MINIMUM unless you are severely overweight even then it's no less than 5 except for extreme circumstances

OP didn't say she thought her lose was fat. People with true gluten sensitivity have an inflammatory reaction to it. Inflammation means lbs of water being pumped into the inflamed area as part of the body's inflammatory response. Once the the problem has been removed, and the inflammation subsides, the water weight comes off.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I would wait, personally. If you're not having any reaction, why remove it? To lose weight? Being gluten free doesn't cause weight loss, a deficit does. Most people go GF and lose weight because they're replacing bread with veges or fruit not because gluten is some terrible diet demon.