Height and ribcage size - Abnormal?

Jpost001
Jpost001 Posts: 26 Member
]Not sure where to put this.

I've been wondering a bit about what average ribcage measurements for someone's height are. I'm 5'10 and my ribcage is 27 inches (if I do it really tight. I do have a normal amount of fat over my ribs. My underbust measurement for bras is 29 inches).

I get comments about being thin. The other day my boss said I was "Skinny as a rail" and that I look like the wind might blow me away and I'd disappear when I stand sideways. A coworker a while ago told another coworker during our break that she wanted to lose weight but she didn't "want to look skinny like X". Yes, she referred to me when I was sitting right in front of her. My hips and shoulders are both 40 inches, bust 36 inches, and waist 27. I would imagine my waist size would be similar to my ribcage unless I were an apple or rectangle shape? Does it come down to my frame and I can't help it? I have a friend that is 5 inches shorter and her ribcage is 34 inches. I DO eat.

Is my ribcage just abnormally narrow for someone my height?

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    I don't have any insight into rib cage size. But it was really unprofessional for your boss, and co worker to comment on your body. Please don't allow someone's unsolicited comments on your body get to you.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Jpost001 wrote: »
    ]Not sure where to put this.

I've been wondering a bit about what average ribcage measurements for someone's height are. I'm 5'10 and my ribcage is 27 inches (if I do it really tight. I do have a normal amount of fat over my ribs. My underbust measurement for bras is 29 inches).

I get comments about being thin. The other day my boss said I was "Skinny as a rail" and that I look like the wind might blow me away and I'd disappear when I stand sideways. A coworker a while ago told another coworker during our break that she wanted to lose weight but she didn't "want to look skinny like X". Yes, she referred to me when I was sitting right in front of her. My hips and shoulders are both 40 inches, bust 36 inches, and waist 27. I would imagine my waist size would be similar to my ribcage unless I were an apple or rectangle shape? Does it come down to my frame and I can't help it? I have a friend that is 5 inches shorter and her ribcage is 34 inches. I DO eat.

Is my ribcage just abnormally narrow for someone my height?

A lot of that is genetics. You may just have a smaller frame than your friends/coworkers/family. Totally normal.

For reference: I'm 5'7" and my rib cage is roughly 36 - 38 inches (depending on how tight I hold the tape). I probably have a lot more fat on my body than you do given your measurements, but.. even when I weighed 40lbs less, my rib cage measurement was still the same. It has never changed, regardless of body weight/age/etc. I could probably alter it a bit by gaining muscle in my back/sides and losing weight, but even still, it probably wouldn't shrink beyond 34 inches, if I'm lucky.

I think it's just how you appear, not that there's anything wrong. If you're eating and you feel good about yourself/weight/appearance, I would try to not let the misguided opinions of others bother you too much. :heart:
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    I have kind of the opposite problem. I have a very large ribcage. I just measured it now out of curiosity.. it’s 31” at the bra line but a full three inches wider where the bottom rib shows. (Oh, and I’m 5’7”.) I had the same comments about being too skinny in my teens because my ribs were always protruding. I’m sure it didn’t help that my ribs stuck out further than my chest 🤦🏼‍♀️

It’s funny, I’ve always hated the way my ribs stuck out because people made comments like that, but I really do think people make those kinds of comments not understanding that what they are saying isn’t necessarily complimentary. I think they believe being called skinny is something anyone would love to hear.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    My ribs show at 34", but still have a belly. We are all different.
  • Jpost001
    Jpost001 Posts: 26 Member
    I don't have any insight into rib cage size. But it was really unprofessional for your boss, and co worker to comment on your body. Please don't allow someone's unsolicited comments on your body get to you.

Thank you. I've gotten comments from multiple people at my work and it can get really annoying but I try to not let it get to me.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Your boss and coworkers are rude for commenting on your body.

Bodies come in all sorts of configurations, and a 28-band is actually not that uncommon in terms of bra sizes - plenty of smaller-backed people that normally wear bras with a 32 or 34 band would probably find a 28 or 30 more supportive and comfortable. Lots of bra stores add 4-6 inches to the underbust measurement, because that yields a size in the "bra matrix" for most people (32-38 bands, A-D cups), and the store cares more about just making a sale than about selling you a garment that fits your actual body.