Very small deficit, Success stories?

Options
Addictead
Addictead Posts: 66 Member
edited December 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I have at least 5 pounds, but probably closer to 9 to lose, and honestly want it to be as painless as possible. Theoretically I know it's possible to lose 0.25/0.5 pounds a week but I've always done 1or 2 pounds a week which works well albeit hard to keep up especially at a lower weight(Keep trying to do 1200 and end up at maintenance most days lately).

I know what my maintenance is by heart and I know that eating 250-100 under that will work but it seems impossibly slow to see any progress right away which kind of discourages me. So how does losing a little bit a week go for you guys? Does it take a month or two to finally show up? Is it fairly sustainable for a very long time?

Replies

• Leonie_M234
    Leonie_M234 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Would love to read more success stories too! I am thinking of doing this next year. Although am partly doing it now, as some weeks I lose a pound, and others half, others I maintain. Since I started weightlifting more seriously I find it so tough to cut 500cals a day. I feel much better on a small deficit, and am trying to not to beat myself up about it.
    Good luck!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have mfp set to for me to lose 0.5lb per week, so about 1kg per month, which for me means my goal is 1530 calories (+ exercise calories). I shifted from 1lb per week towards the end of September. It is really slow, but what has helped me to track the fact that I am still losing has been my mean weight calculated month-to-date. These were 79.59kg (Sept), 77.81kg (Oct), 76.67kg (Nov), 76.02kg (Dec to date). You can see that on that measure I actually lost nearer to 1.8kg between September and October, and 1.2kg October to November, and am currently on track to lose ca. or a bit more 1kg November to December. (However, with Christmas coming up I suspect that I shall put a bit back on by the end of December.)

I am currently in my maintenance range with a goal weight of 75kg. I shall move to maintenance once my monthly average is under 75.5kg, so maybe in January or February. Those last 5kg will have taken 4-5 months. However, over those last few months I have had a few days where I have eaten quite significantly over my goal. The good thing about that has been seeing that my weight has still continued to trend down nonetheless. I am looking forward to working out what maintenance will look like.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    A trend app like AnnPT77 posted has been a life saver for me on slower losses. I've never really been able to maintain 1+lb/week losses, and have had better success with slower rates (.5-.75 over time)
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    The chart below shows my daily weigh-ins (in kg), each line representing a month. You can see the lines getting closer together these last few months, and even crossing occasionally, but still clearly a losing trend.

Mine is the same - a very slow loss since September, but I am in my maintenance range, which is good, though I would like to get to my goal weight which is 75kg:

sx3rpizhjio9.png

• elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have mine set for half a pound per week. Its working. Sometimes a little faster than that. Slow is sustainable for me so I'll keep tipping away at it, half stone by half stone until I reach my goal. So far I'm 4 pounds down from a month ago. Didn't lose anything this week though (too many cookies and lattes!) Not in obese category anymore so hurray!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    it's sustainable if you keep at it and don't cheat. I had a friend who lost 30 lbs that way. took her a year and a half though.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Hello! Yes, my deficit was set for a 1/2 pound per week. I lost in total 9 pounds from mid-April to mid-September. It was slow with lots of ups and downs, but I absolutely knew I had to lose those "last 10 pounds" if I wanted to be able to keep it off. I get anxious if I start to feel like I've eaten too much in the day and don't have enough calories left for the end of the day.

I wasn't technically overweight to begin with, and had lost about 35 pounds in 2012 and kept it off, give or take 5 pounds. I'm already pretty active and also wanted to keep/continue to build muscle. I wasn't even sure I could get to the weight where I am now, as it's been at least 20-21 years. I knew if I could take it off slowly and not feel deprived or just by making small changes, I'd be way more likely to keep at this level.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40 pounds over two years. I have no interest in deprivation and I figure it took me about 50 years to get here. it makes sense to take a few years to reverse it. I initially committed to a lifestyle change for one year and would assess what I had achieved at the end of the year. I still did weigh myself, but my commitment wasn’t focused on the numbers on the scale so much as it was on the fact that this was a year long commitment of developing new habits. Turns out I lost about 22 pounds that year and I decided to give it one more year. The second year I think it I lost about 16. By that time my new habits were well established and I was able to carry on into maintenance without much of a transition. Now all of that said, I did regain about 7 pounds through 2020 with the pandemic and also some health problems that prevented me from working out. So I have just started on a plan to lose 7 pounds in the next 12 months. I might even go for 10!