Pre Bariatric Surgery & looking for supportive friends!

Options
Hi MFP World!!!

I've been sitting on the fence for a few years about getting the bariatric surgery. I've finally decided to take that leap and do it. I am 2 months pre-Op and I am about 4 months away from having the actual surgery.

I am looking for supportive friends who have and have not had the surgery. I am very outgoing and would love to have people who are similar. I'm hoping to share my adventure and pick up tips and tricks along the way. Maybe even I can be motivation for someone who may be still sitting on the fence.

Let me know and send me a friend request.

ps- I understand this is the internet and there will always be people who have something to say about something. Please refrain from being negative in response to my request. I know people have strong opinions about surgery and I respect that 100% so please respect me and my opinion and decisions. =)

Replies

• angelapalmer69
    angelapalmer69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too have decided to have weight loss surgery, the gastric sleeve. I am 30 days into the 90 day supervised weight loss program that my insurance requires. Hope to have surgery in the November timeframe.
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Same here! I am doing the sleeve as well. I'm just getting into a nice eating routine.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am getting the sleeve surgery . I am at the tail end of the program, just waiting for a surgery date right now. I would suggest this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/637-gastric-bypass-lapband

The people are really nice and helpful and not judgmental.
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery (Roux-en-Y) about 8 years ago. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    For those scheduling surgery in the next few months…the best thing you can do for yourself is to self impose a transitional diet right now. On many of the bariatric boards I hear a lot of people say how fatigued they are after surgery and right around month three they start losing their hair. The hair loss is due to lack of protein and other nutrients your body needs like fruits and vegetables and I have a solution for that. But first….the reason they feel fatigued is not only the lack of calories, but it’s also the body detoxing from all the crap and going from 2000-3000 calories down to 400-500. The key to prevent profound fatigue is transitioning (today) from three large meals a day to replacing 1-2 meals with protein shakes and eating smaller meals throughout the day. Your diet should look like this.

Breakfast – low carb protein shake
    Snack – hardboiled egg, string cheese
    Lunch – salad with protein
    Snack – low carb protein shake
    Dinner – meat and vegetable
    Bed time snack – string cheese, apple

This will help you transition very easily to the liquid diet your surgeon will put you on a few weeks before surgery and then once you have surgery your body will already be accustomed to the liquid diet so no detox and no fatigue. This will also help you transition from liquid to soft foods and on to eating like a normal person. Buy a good food scale and stock up on 1/2 and 1 cup storage containers. If you get into the habit of preparing, weighing and limiting your food to these size cups, your restriction will remain for life. Try to eye ball it and you will slowly expand your stomach back out. I know this because it has happened to friends of mine and this is actually my own prescription for maintaining my size 2-4 and I am two years out from gastric sleeve surgery.

If you are not exercising, I would start an exercise program ASAP because you will need one for long term success. I can’t tell you how many people I know who have had surgery thinking it was a “magic pill” and then finding out too late that it actually required work. It’s just a tool. Feel free to add me and my diet/exercise journal is always open. I have before and after pictures in my profile.

For hair loss I started taking Juice Plus 3 months prior to surgery and did not lose any hair nor did any of the people that I recommended it to. Message me and I will send the link to order.
  • silkypup1
    silkypup1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Had surgery 6 months ago. I post my diary daily if you want to have a look. Send me a friend request
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I haven't had bariatric surgery, although I seriously considered it and met with our bariatric surgeon. I have taken a similar approach to weight loss however, eating 5 to 6 small meals on most days. (Vacation has thrown me off this week), and would be more than happy to be 'friends', if you choose to add me.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've not had the surgery. sorry you feel that you need to go that route. you might consider adopting a low carb diet approach and see if the weight doesn't come off that way. good luck.
  • txin1
    txin1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in January, best thing I ever did for myself! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I just had the RNY surgery a month ago. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • BluestAye
    BluestAye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All -

I am about 4 months away from having the actual surgery too. Just waiting for new insurance to kick in. I came here looking for people who are also going through the process. I am planning to do the sleeve.
  • addictwendys
    Options
    I just got my date 2 days ago for Oct. 23rd. Wow it just got real. I was told by my Dr. that he would like for me to lose 10-15 lbs but it is not necessary. Yep, I am on a mission now lol. I will do my best to lose that much between now and the 23rd. I will only be on a liquid diet for 2 days prior to surgery. I am gonna try transitioning now to make it easier on my body. I am both nervous and excited.
  • Debrawn
    Options
    Hi I am scheduled to have my surgery November 4, at this point I am doing the liver cleanse, healthy foods, no caffeine, liquor, sodas or anything else enjoyable :-)
    Am nervous about proper foods after, will see
  • Debrawn
    Options
    I am going to have the RY in 2 weeks. What was the hardest part. the diet or feeling tired etc
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not having the surgery, but I seriously thought about it! If all had gone as originally planned, I would have had the surgery sometime this past April. In any case, I am wishing you the best of luck in this journey! Feel free to add me as well!!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery fourteen months ago. Best thing I ever did.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was 3 days from surgery and backed out the best decision I ever made. Yes I went to all the classes and met with a dietician for 6 moths did it all. Met with the surgeon twice had all the insurance work done and then didn't do it. That was 9 months ago and today with hard work 3months of a not losing I am down 70 lbs. My wife did have the surgery and looks great with no major problems. No just last month her aunt did it and had lots of problems and almost didnt make it remember there are risk its for sure not a easy road. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. Good luck
  • MrsGriffin0729
    MrsGriffin0729 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had VSG 8 weeks ago and it's the best decision I've made. Feel free to add me :)
  • kattybatty27
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve on July 19th. I'm down 54 lbs as of today. I have so much more energy now and feel fantastic. Don't let anyone dissuade you from the surgery. It's your choice!
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! If I haven't added you as a friend send me a request!!!!

xoxoxoxo