Any vegans on here?

Options
Any vegans on here?

Would love some accountability buddies and like minded people to share recipes with ☺

Replies

• laylawhiting
    laylawhiting Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey yes just starting a program on Monday :-)
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'm like 80% vegan. I sometimes eat dairy, I know that is probably a bit of cop out. I'm using soy milk more often.. Was vegan for around a year but vegetarian for the past 10. I might go back to full vegan but its a hell of a commitment.

I'm only really supplmenting iron and b12 and found it makes a huge difference for my energy levels.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for a while now and am currently transitioning over to veganism, if you'd like to add me :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    check out the "happy herbivores" group :-)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I m vegan. Was pescatarian for years and been complete vegan about 10 months. I was vega0n on and off but since covid , I learned sooo much. I was out of work and spent the time doing webnars, research and plant based challenges. I moved into a vegan home too. I love it!
  • MizEllie13
    MizEllie13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am starting a mostly vegan diet with whey protein (already had a supply) for health reasons. I have an autoimmune disease that is kicking my butt. A number of studies showed dramatic improvement in AI diseases after initiating fasting followed by a vegan diet. I'm already eating organically and doing intermittent fasting for weight control so this should be a fairly smooth transition.,I hope.

Definitely would appreciate any entrees scaled that have been tested by people other than recipe bloggers. ;)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    MizEllie13 wrote: »
    I am starting a mostly vegan diet with whey protein (already had a supply) for health reasons. I have an autoimmune disease that is kicking my butt. A number of studies showed dramatic improvement in AI diseases after initiating fasting followed by a vegan diet. I'm already eating organically and doing intermittent fasting for weight control so this should be a fairly smooth transition.,I hope.

Definitely would appreciate any entrees scaled that have been tested by people other than recipe bloggers. ;)

I have SLE Lupus and other parner conditions, veganism is fantastic for it. I gave up whey and use all plant protein. I feel its so much cleaner. You can friend me or pm anytime!
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I’ve been vegan for 20 years, glad to have new friends 😀
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I dont eat animal products and haven't for a while. Feel free to add me.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Low-protein, doctor prescribed for a medical condition. In practice it's like vegan.

My diet consists of fruits and vegetables, an occasional grain, and typically coconut or almond alternatives to dairy.
  • DeniseSalsera
    DeniseSalsera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost 4 years, vegetarian for around 15 years before that.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Aureilie wrote: »
    Aureillie, I moving more towards plant-based nutrition, and I’m curious how you meet your protein macros. I don’t necessarily want to load up on cheese or nuts, but beans alone aren’t doing it either. How do you manage protein.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rhauser44 wrote: »
    Aureillie, I moving more towards plant-based nutrition, and I’m curious how you meet your protein macros. I don’t necessarily want to load up on cheese or nuts, but beans alone aren’t doing it either. How do you manage protein.

Sietan, tofu, lentils, chia seeds, edamame, or tempeh. Of if you are in need, you can get vegan whey.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Sietan, tofu, lentils, chia seeds, edamame, or tempeh. Of if you are in need, you can get vegan whey.

Thanks. As I transition into maintenance I think I’ll have to focus on incorporating a lot more of your recommendations into my meals. I haven’t tried sietan before, and very little tofu.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Do you mean vegan protein powder, like from rice, soy, hemp, or peas? Or is vegan whey a new product that I'm not aware of (not being snarky, that's genuinely possible)?
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I'm personally a huge fan of mock meats, particularly the Gardein chicken strips, to add to dishes when I'm low on protein. They're low calorie and super versatile. PsuLemon had great suggestions. Things like swapping out white rice for quinoa make small differences over the course of the day that add up. I like to use sprouted style breads with seeds for instance, the one I use has the same amount of protein for two slices of bread that the mock meats I put in the sandwich contain. There are also protein powders (I've heard Sunwarrior is the best tasting) and low calorie protein bars like Simply Protein that can help fill in gaps on days that you're not able to hit your goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Do you mean vegan protein powder, like from rice, soy, hemp, or peas? Or is vegan whey a new product that I'm not aware of (not being snarky, that's genuinely possible)?

Its a mixture of soy, hemp and pea iirc. It might also have added EAAs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Its a mixture of soy, hemp and pea iirc. It might also have added EAAs.

Neat - I'll keep my eyes open for it. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I'm personally a huge fan of mock meats, particularly the Gardein chicken strips, to add to dishes when I'm low on protein. They're low calorie and super versatile. PsuLemon had great suggestions. Things like swapping out white rice for quinoa make small differences over the course of the day that add up. I like to use sprouted style breads with seeds for instance, the one I use has the same amount of protein for two slices of bread that the mock meats I put in the sandwich contain. There are also protein powders (I've heard Sunwarrior is the best tasting) and low calorie protein bars like Simply Protein that can help fill in gaps on days that you're not able to hit your goal.

I'm not vegan but am trying to eat less animal products. I've yet to find a pea protein powder I like, but am willing to give Sunwarrior a try. They offer three samples for $3.99 total. They want you to call to order samples; number is in their FAQ page:

https://sunwarrior.com/pages/faq

I got plain, vanilla, and chocolate.