Frustrated, not losing any weight.

Options
Hey everyone. I've been going at this pretty solo, but I just weighed in today and I got so frustrated and upset with my weight loss. Basically, I didn't lost any weight this week and didn't last week either.

I'm not sure what is going on but I'll post some information about myself so maybe one of you can give me some advice as to what I'm doing wrong...

Basic stats: 5'4, 21 years old, currently 148 pounds.

Exercise: I run at most 5 days a week anywhere from 3 to 8 miles. Right now I'm running a little less than a 10 min mile. Some days I also incorporate squats, lunges, ab work and other exercises like that.

Food: I log my food every day on an app on my iphone. I just checked back a week and my calories were mostly between 1300-1500. On my 8 mile run this week I ate 1700. I usually am closer to 1500 calories per day. So I'd say my average calorie intake is 1500 cals, except for days I run significantly longer. I would consider myself a healthy eater.

I don't know what is going on but I haven't lost weight in two weeks. Am I eating too much? Am I not exercising enough?

I'll take any and all advice! :)

Replies

• FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    One word: patience.

That's all I got for now.

:flowerforyou:
  • NattyJayne1991
    NattyJayne1991 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, i'm having the same sort of issue! Exercising every single day and not seeing any results where the scales are concerned.

Have you considered measuring yourself to see if there are any losses made there.?? I measure my waist, hips, upper arms, thighs and chest for the last 2 Mondays. In total i've lost nearly 3 inches in all those places but the scales have remained the same.

I've put it down to that i'm eating too much. Although i'm eating below my calorie limit, it's probably still too much for the amount i'm exercising.

Also the types of food don't help either. Try to stay away from sugary foods (i'm a hypocrit and that's why there isn't much of a change) i've been advised that it's sugar you need to watch out for!

I hope you start to see results soon enough .Sorry I haven't been able to help much, but perhaps eating less might help?
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Muscle?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    One word: patience.

That's all I got for now.

:flowerforyou:

This...

Weight loss takes time, there will be times you won't see a loss, it could be a week, two weeks or a month. You just have to keep doing what you are doing. It'll happen. Maybe even go to weighing every other week, every 3rd week or 1x a month.

Have you measured yourself?
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Is your diary open to your friends? I also run, and find that I drop weight most efficiently when I get to my goal in NET calories, meaning I eat my calories burned mostly back. I burn 130-150 calories per mile. Long run days I usually eat all my calories back since I'm ravenous. As of yet, that's upwards of 1100 calories. Training for a 1/2 marathon and am now 8 weeks out - longest run during training will be 12 miles. Also, have you ever had your body composition done? Based on your numbers, it appears you are in a perfectly fine range. However, as stated above, patience is key.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good exercise routine and from what you are saying, your calorie intake seems fine. It would be good to have your diary open for some feedback, but that's up to you. In reality, from what you said, I am inferring that you were losing weight prior to 2 weeks ago?? If that is correct, my advice is to keep at it. 2 weeks is nothing in the big picture. After 2 months, you would want to reassess things. Good luck!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I've put it down to that i'm eating too much. Although i'm eating below my calorie limit, it's probably still too much for the amount i'm exercising.

No. The more you exercise the more you need to eat. I know this goes against everything you hear to lose weight. All you hear is 'to lose weight eat less and move more'. Your body needs fuel to do it's job. If you eat 1500 and burn say 500 calories, that leaves you netting at 1000 and you should net at least 1200. Your car can't run on empty, neither can your body.

Also the types of food don't help either. Try to stay away from sugary foods (i'm a hypocrit and that's why there isn't much of a change) i've been advised that it's sugar you need to watch out for!

Again, I disagree. I eat what I want, I drink what I want, I'm losing weight. It's about moderation not deprivation.
  • fanta307
    Options
    I suggest a cheat day. It helps to mix things up occasionally to jump start the weight loss. Eat lots of whatever your lowest macro ratio is. If you're a runner, you probably have a high carb ratio with low fat and protein most of the time, so you could eat lots of delicious meat to get out of your rut.
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough for the distance that you are running. I am 5'4 with my weight ranging from 130-134. My daily intake ranges from 1800-2000 and I still lose a small amount each week. I usually weight train but I have only been running for the past month. My daily mileage is 3-5 miles and I would starve if I only ate the amount that you are eating.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi Take a look at my food diary. I have been averaging 5 lbs a month . I walk 60- 90 minutes a day , walking the dog speed, I do a bit of housework. So I am moderate exerciser. It may have been more but for example here is a list of things I consumed in the beginning wieeks of my life style change over:

The first couple of months I must eaten 2 dozen homemade or bakery bought Whole Foods Oatmeal Cookies, 3 pieces of rhubarb pie one week, I have hit the dairy queen twice for small ice cream cones I have bought 5 100grm dark chocolate bar plus a few other nibbles here and there. I have ceased doing this.

With the exception of fresh made pasta or bakery {not shelf bread -full of additives} I stay away from processed food. Absolutely no frozen juices, packaged juices, packaged bars, packaged celeries, any processed low cal food {they take the fats up fill it with additives eg methol cellulose {also used for wall paper paste} any slim shakes ,

My first priority is oatmeal, fresh fruit three portions daily and fresh vegetables 3 cups daily . That my base then I add the rest of my meal to it, that is beans, meat , pasta, rice.etc.

I make my oatmeal up in a big batch so I can just scoop out my daily portion and reheat for a minute. I use hummus on my pasta instead of creamy sauces. I make up my own beef sauces with fresh tomatos and tomato paste and freeze portions of it.
    I make sure my past and bread are whole wheat, if you don`t use more than 2 or 4 slices a week of bread you can freeze the rest.