Running, I have a bear problem!

I live on a long, woodsy road. We have bears around that get into people's trash etc. I started walking in April and never saw any. Started C25K in June and in the past month I had someone in a car stop my daughter and I when we were running to tell us there is a bear up ahead in his yard getting into his trash bin. :huh: This was about 6pm so it was light out. A week ago I was driving, coming home and just past my yard I saw a smaller bear crossing the road...again about 5:30pm, light out. I have been paranoid while out running and keep a close eye for any bears, listen well etc. Well today at 1pm I was out jogging and a lady stopped in her car to tell me that the next house up has a bear in the yard :noway: So I turned around and ran the other way hoping there was nothing that way. Am I the only one with THIS problem? :laugh: I am thinking I may have to drive to the high school and use the track which is a 13 minute drive each way for me but, I do NOT want to have a run in with a bear. Once it gets cold they hibernate and are not around.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I would definitely drive to the track. I'm not sure they'd attack, but I wouldn't want to risk it!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    I'd go to the track or invest in a treadmill :smile:
  • plain & simple carry a gun
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Bear spray is big and bulky, and a good option for urbanites. For other folks, if that bear spray isn't effective enough, the glock 20 is an extremely effective method of self preservation, and the 10mm with hardened loads is effective for anything you find in North America.

That said, there are a few other options, a bell so bears know where you are, or you can sing as you run.

I wouldn't worry too much running towards a bear, but I wouldn't run from a bear.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Learn to run faster :D
  • All I get to see are baby deer when I'm out and about, I'd probably be the stupid one who stops to gawk at the poor thing.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Learn to run faster :D

:laugh:

If they are black bears, they are more scared of you than you are of them. I'd be careful as it gets closer to hibernation season though...they be hungry and looking for food! Also in the spring when babies come...no one gets between mama bear and her cubs!

Perhaps bring some bear spray on your runs? There's nothing like running outside and it would really suck to not be able to do it anymore! :cry:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    You can always use bears to intensify your runs.....just carry a steak!!! Bears are only good for short distances.......but seriously, find a track or somewhere else, or bear spray. What kind of bears?
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    We typically don't have alot of bears in our area, but we have had an increase in black bear sightings in Northern Virginia this summer. They are getting onto people's porches, driveways, and trash. Especially those who live near parks I would honestly just go to the track and run for now. Its a pain, and I doubt that they will go after you, but better error on the side of caution.
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    I love the international nature of MFP... this is just not even a consideration where I run! Worst I have to worry about is angry bull-dogs and flashers :P
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    I heard just last night that this was a very active time of year for bears, as they are looking for food in preparation for hibernation. You might want to use that track for a month or 2.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Bears, elk, cougars, deer...we get it all...my advice would be to consider it a blessing to have such closeness with nature, and adjust around them for the times of the year you're concerned about.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    OK, This would scare the *kitten* out of me. I would run in a local park or somewhere safe, or on a treadmill.

I'm not trying to outrun a bear under any circumstances, even if they're supposedly more scared of me than I am of them.
  • read the news, bears have been gettin people everywhere. practice the fetal position and cry.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Put a fresh salmon in your back pocket and if you see a bear, let them have the salmon.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    My local outdoor gear store suggested a little air horn. By the time you need bear spray, they're too close! The airhorn scares them away.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Wow, and I thought the neighborhood dogs around my house was an issue.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Too funny :tongue: Thanks for all the suggestions. I DO appreciate nature and we have A LOT of deer around they are always in my yard. Sometimes 12-15 of them spread across my front yard, I love it :smile: Also see turkeys! :laugh: However, I do NOT wish to have an encounter with a bear to find out what it will do or if it is scared of me. The bear I saw crossing the road was smaller and I KNOW mama bear was not too far behind somewhere.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    OK, This would scare the *kitten* out of me. I would run in a local park or somewhere safe, or on a treadmill.

I'm not trying to outrun a bear under any circumstances, even if they're supposedly more scared of me than I am of them.

That last line, it's not actually true one bit, but it is a popular myth that just keeps rolling on. What you have is different approaches from different types of bears. EG: An apex critter isn't afraid of you. Brown bear, polar bear. You can think that, but have a good life insurance policy.

Black bears are treated as prey by other animals, so are more "skittish", but will generally opt for curiousity, unless they are being territorial, protecting young, or are hungry.

You can scare a bear off initially, but that's just initially, they are capable of returning to find out what's up. Sometimes they get grumpy too.

Beautiful death machines.
  • Learn to run faster :D
    LOL
    or run with a one of those hand rotating noise makers, like from a new years eve party.... you don't have to crank the hell out of it when your running, just slightly.