Breakfast Ideas

haleyhawkins
haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
Hi everyone! I am in need of a breakfast that is on the go, low in carbs (NOT keto) and not super caloric. I can't have eggs, dairy or nuts. Yepp.....

I have been eating oatmeal every morning for the past 4-5 years but cannot workout as much right now due to complications from COVID so needing to modify my eating a bit until I can get back at it.

Thank you for all your help!

Replies

• smyers1122
    smyers1122 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2020
    Well, I don't have any ideas, but remember, you don't have to stick to typical breakfast foods if you don't want. There's no rule that says you couldn't just have a salad with grilled chicken, or whatever you would eat any other time of the day. I mean, some people eat cold pizza for breakfast, so, why not vegetable soup?
  • adogslife9891
    adogslife9891 Posts: 2 Member
    Chicken fajitas
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi everyone! I am in need of a breakfast that is on the go, low in carbs (NOT keto) and not super caloric. I can't have eggs, dairy or nuts. Yepp.....

I have been eating oatmeal every morning for the past 4-5 years but cannot workout as much right now due to complications from COVID so needing to modify my eating a bit until I can get back at it.

Thank you for all your help!

Not sure what oatmeal has to do with working out or not...I eat Coach's Oats pretty regularly and it's 160 calories per serving...that's about as low calorie as you get IMO. If you like oats, I don't see any reason not to continue to eat them, though eating them everyday would be quite boring IMO.

Other than that...whatever you want. We make a lot of stews and whatnot this time of year...my breakfast is often some leftover green chile stew with a fried egg...or Posole, etc.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Im on Low Carb as well... but breakfast can be anything you want really! In Asia they eat meat and veg for breakfast. Try stirfried chicken and bell pepper and onions. Its really good in lettuce wraps. Or Fajitas like mentioned above...any kind of protein with seasoning and veggies really.
  • ma2007pmc
    ma2007pmc Posts: 58 Member
    Try a blt made with turkey bacon and dairy free bread.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    I eat oatmeal every morning with1/2 cup yogurt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 tsp Maca powder with as sprinkling of salt. You can also use 1 to 2 tsp carob to change it up.

Protein is protein carbs are carbs don't get to hung up on what is a traditional breakfast. Eat what you want and can for breakfast.

Generic Pre-Ride Smoothie Ingredients:
    1 cup frozen or fresh berries
    1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
    1 Tbsp organic honey
    water/ice as needed for consistency

For added calories add:
    1/2-1 Tbsp organic coconut oil
    For added protein (and thickening) add:
    ½ cup non-fat yogurt
    20 grams casein protein (about 3 Tbsp powder)
    (330 calories, 50 grams carbs, 5 gm fiber, 20 gm protein)
    15 gram carbohydrate add-ons:
    1/2 medium banana (15 grams carbs, 0 grams protein)
    1 Tbsp organic honey, organic agave syrup, or organic maple syrup (15 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams protein)
    ½ cup orange juice (or other 100% juice) (15 grams carbs, 0 grams protein)
    ½ cup cooked oatmeal (15 grams carbs, 3 grams protein)
    1/3 cup cooked rice (15 grams carbs, 3 grams protein)
    *For every carb add-on added, increase plain yogurt by ¼ cup

Chinese Green Lentil Curry

Ingredients
    1 cup (250ml) green lentils, washed and drained
    ½ litre (500ml) water
    3 tbsp (45ml) olive/canola oil
    1 large onion, grated
    1 tomato, diced
    2 tsp (10ml) crushed cumin and coriander mix (dhania jeera)
    ½ tsp (2.5ml) tumeric powder (arad)
    1 tsp (5ml) ginger & garlic paste
    1 tsp (5ml) ground green chilli
    1 tbsp (15ml) white vinegar
    Handful freshly chopped coriander (dhania)

Directions
    Boil lentils in water until soft (approximately 45 minutes).
    Heat oil in separate saucepan, add onions and cook on medium heat until onions are soft.
    Add tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes.
    Add all remaining ingredients except the coriander.
    Add the onion & tomato mixture to the cooked lentils, mix well.
    Garnish with chopped coriander before serving.
    Serve with roti or bread.
    DID YOU KNOW? Lentils contain soluble fibre which helps to stabilise blood sugar levels.

• QueenZombean
    QueenZombean Posts: 6 Member
    I've been stuck on breakfast as well! I love the idea of Fajitas!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    ma2007pmc wrote: »

Where is bacon on a turkey, and since when does bread have dairy?

There's no reason to be so judgmental.

Turkey bacon is an option for people who want/need to reduce their fat intake. Also, many people do not consume pork products for religions reasons. Just because you wouldn't eat it is not reason to be condescending to someone who does.

Many pre-packaged sandwich breads contain milk.

I love turkey bacon.
    I love pork bacon.
    Some days I want turkey bacon.
    Some days I want pork bacon.
    Some days I want both!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    ma2007pmc wrote: »

Where is bacon on a turkey, and since when does bread have dairy?

There's no reason to be so judgmental.

Turkey bacon is an option for people who want/need to reduce their fat intake. Also, many people do not consume pork products for religions reasons. Just because you wouldn't eat it is not reason to be condescending to someone who does.

Many pre-packaged sandwich breads contain milk.

I have posted a thread before where I showed how many calories there are in cooked pork bacon. Believe it or not, when cooked, that turkey "bacon" has the same or more calories per slice. And with pork bacon, at least you know exactly what you are eating.

And bread should have 4 ingredients.

Its funny how poeple look down at zoodles but turkey bacon or bread staying fresh for a month and consisting of 24 ingredients is perfectly fine.

I'm well aware that the calories are similar...that's why I didn't mention calories. The fat difference can be significant, though, and that's important to some people based on medical conditions or preferences. And, as I said, many people do not eat pork products for a number of reasons. If someone likes turkey bacon as a substitution, then that is perfectly fine. It's a different taste and texture that some people prefer.

Despite what ingredients bread "should have", the fact is that many store-bought breads DO have milk. So, if someone is wanting to avoid dairy, they should check the label. This was good advice from the poster, who noted that the OP, who stated they could not eat dairy, should make sure they are buying dairy-free bread.

All food is "perfectly fine", assuming you like it and it fits in your goals for the day. People eat a lot of foods that I would never touch, but I don't condescend them, treat them as if they are stupid, or look down my nose at them.
  • dotti1981
    dotti1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Smoothies you can use coconut or almond milk, protein or whey powder and fruits and even summer veggies like spinach. I usually add some cinnamon to mine.
    My go to when I'm avoiding dairy is banana, frozen strawberries, coconut milk, cinnamon and ice. Sometime instead of strawberries and cinnamon I might do chocolate meal replacement
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2021
    Buddha Breakfast Bowl
    Ingredients
    Serves 1
    For the potatoes:
    olive oil
    1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 green bell pepper, finely diced
    salt and pepper

For the Broccolini:
    olive oil
    1 small bunch Broccolini
    2 cloves garlic
    salt and pepper

For the caramelized onions:
    olive oil
    2 c yellow onions, thinly sliced
    1 t balsamic vinegar (optional)

For the bowls:
    2 c baby spinach
    1 avocado, halved
    sesame seeds, as garnish
    2 eggs, poached
    1/2 c chickpeas, canned, fried, or crispy roasted

Directions
    Preheat oven to 425 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
    To caramelize the onions, heat a few t oil in nonstick skillet. When the oil is moderately hot, add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook another 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very golden. O
    Option to stir in a tbsp. of balsamic vinegar when they are done.

Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, garlic, bell pepper, salt and pepper, and spread in an even layer onto the left half of baking sheet.
    Do the same with Broccolini but place onto right half.
    Roast veggies for about 25 minutes, tossing halfway, until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
    To poach the eggs, crack each egg into two small bowls and set aside. Bring a pot of water to a boil, once boiling, add a tsp of white vinegar and gently stir it around. Gently slip each egg into the boiling water and let it do its thing. Cook for 2 minutes or so, remove egg with a slotted spoon and place onto a flat surface to let water drain/dry a bit.
    To assemble the bowls, add spinach, followed by sweet potatoes, Broccolini, caramelized onions, avocado, chickpeas, and top with poached egg, and freshly cracked pepper.

This recipe uses Broccolini but you can replace with broccoli.
    6g7xcz881i75.jpeg
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I make breakfast burritos in batches, and freeze them. Quick zap in the micro and voila!

The trick is to freeze them separately on a cookie sheet so they don't stick together, then bag 'em once they're fully frozen
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Beans or lentils?