Logging steps without a compatible app

Options
My fitbit has bit the dust. I am looking for a replacement tracker and some are not compatible with MFP. How do you log your steps? If I get 10K steps and do not have a way for the pedometer to notify MFP...????

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Use the distance to calories formula and then enter manually.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Fitbit sends step data to MFP, but it is just an empty data point. The important 'data' communicated from Fitbit to MFP is your daily calorie burn. WIthout that, just choose a correct 'activity level' based on your job/hobbies/regular life and log exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I know I have a 20 minute mile so just use the "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace" cardio entry and add time. So if my pedometer shows I walked 2 miles, I add 40 minutes.

(My 2 ml walk yesterday took well over 40 minutes as I was with my mother and she stops to look at things and talk to people. So I just logged 40 minutes.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Under your main/home screen and Check-In, you can create your own custom tracking for Steps, and just as Fitbit and Garmin and others do - you'll have a static figure you can look back at pretty graphs on of steps in a day.

And that's all it is.

Let those steps help you select the correct activity level.
    Per the way MFP works, do NOT look at days where steps came from workouts, only daily activity.
    If your workouts are only walking, count that as daily activity is best suggestion.
    Get an average.

And you can do this right now with your past Fitbit data - are you changing your workouts because the device died?

Sedentary is correct activity level up to about 4K steps.
    Lightly-Active up to 7K.
    Active up to 10K.
    Very Active above that.

Depending on the distance those steps took you (which is really what gives a good calorie calculation), may be 1K above or below those numbers.

Set your Activity level honestly to use the tool correctly (tools used correctly always work best), and then if your step math was from days with no workouts - log your workouts honestly and maybe with 25% calories off.
    If step math includes daily walking as workout then you are done.

Manually log those steps if desired to track.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I know I have a 20 minute mile so just use the "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace" cardio entry and add time. So if my pedometer shows I walked 2 miles, I add 40 minutes.

Same here. 3mph is my normal speed, 3.5mph if I have a spring in my step and 4mph if I'm late or it's raining but probably only 2.5mph if I'm walking with friends. These are worked out based on walking a known distance. For my regular walks, I just use the same number of minutes each time, rather than timing myself to the minute every time I walk home from work. That also eliminates what to do if I bump into a friend and stop for a chat - I know how long the walk takes me. Otherwise, I note what time I leave and what time I arrive and log my exercise based on time + speed walked at. In my experience, as MFP knows my weight, if I'm honest about the speed I walked out, the calorie burn seems to be fairly accurate.