Skinny pop popcorn

Options
Why am I so confused? I'm not new to calorie counting or mfp... Is this just sticker shock? One bag is seriously 650 calories? How is that skinny?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Check your math.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like one bag is 375 calories.

I don’t think 375 is very skinny either 😐

I don’t eat much popcorn so I’d have to look up another brand to compare it to, but personally, I’ll spend my calories elsewhere. 😊
  • rightsizewendy
    rightsizewendy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it's 157.5 cals. Each popped cup is 30 cals. Each bag has 5.25 cups. So you times 30x5.25=157.5
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    375 is 2.5 servings, and about 13 cups, it appears, so that's a lot of popcorn.

That said, it appears to be just about the same number of cals as any plain popcorn or popcorn with just salt. Adding butter or oil would of course increase the cals.

I love popcorn, and think the cals in popcorn in general are reasonable for the serving size.
  • rightsizewendy
    rightsizewendy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nevermind! I'm wrong. Those labels are so confusing. I think it's 375 cals too cause if it's 2.5 servings per bag times 150 cals - 375, cause lets be honest, you're not going to share it!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I don’t eat much popcorn so I’d have to look up another brand to compare it to, but personally, I’ll spend my calories elsewhere. 😊

It's a lot of popcorn though...13 cups of popped pop corn is a lot of corn.

That is true, but I have learned that corn no longer agrees with me as I’ve gotten older, so eating 13 cups of it would probably be a bad idea for me. 😜
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That is true, but I have learned that corn no longer agrees with me as I’ve gotten older, so eating 13 cups of it would probably be a bad idea for me. 😜

I love popcorn, but I probably wouldn't feel that great if I sat down to 13 cups of it by myself. Definitely would be bloated from all of the fiber in one sitting.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options

Mostly air anyways.. more or less equivalent to small movie popcorn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

Mostly air anyways.. more or less equivalent to small movie popcorn.

Pretty much what my wife and I would share.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I always share the small movie popcorn too. (Well, back when we used to go to movies in the theater!)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Popcorn nutrition labels are pretty confusing to me as well. For lower calorie popcorn options, I like Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop and Act II 94% fat free popcorn. The OR popcorn comes in smaller portioned bags as well, and both are about 15 calories per cup rather than 30.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    ^^ This! But then I pour a tbsp of lactose-free butter and sprinkle another tbsp of nutritional yeast so...
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Home made on the stove top with Pam is better and 38g has 120 calories.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    The SkinnyPop seems to have the same number of cals as regular air-popped popcorn (about 30 cal per cup).

The OR Smart Pop brand mentioned seems to have fewer cals than just plain old popcorn, which is interesting. I don't mind the cals in regular popcorn, but may need to try it to compare.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Skinnypop has 150 calories per ounce. Popped at home airpop, and stove top without oil has 85 calories per ounce.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Orville's smart pop snack size bag is 100 calories and the best - just right!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    😊