Intuitive Eating vs. Tracking Calories

Options
Does anyone have experience with both? If so, what are your thoughts? For about 10 months I've been working with an IE coach. But I keep having the urge to go back to tracking calories. Just trying to decide what's best for me.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I tracked and logged my food here for about a year or so. It was helpful to understand calorie and macro awareness but it was not a good fit for me long term.

What do you consider intuitive eating? What do you do with this coach? I can maintain my weight without issue intuitively but reaching my goals is a different story. So if I want to lose, gain, build muscle.. I have to be more mindful of what I am eating (protein levels, calorie amounts, going against hunger cues) but I can do it without tracking my intake.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    TBH I think any method that sounds easy to follow like intuitive eating is bound to fail. If one is obese the body's intuition is to keep eating until it's satisfied, something has to give. If your body's set point level or plateau is 270 lbs it will want to make sure it stays that way, you have to convince or teach it to start burning. To lose weight mindful eating is key, sure once the target is achieved I guess one can be intuitive but by that time your body will have adapted and learnt. a new plateau is set, hopefully a lower one. Intuitive eating can be a safe tool to maintain but not to change.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    sure once the target is achieved I guess one can be intuitive but by that time your body will have adapted and learnt. a new plateau is set, hopefully a lower one. Intuitive eating can be a safe tool to maintain but not to change.

Not for me, sadly. I reached goal and beyond and then maintained for about 18 months, sort of: my weight was actually creeping back up all through that period, as can be seen from my monthly average weights after I reached my lowest weight: they were 71.43kg, 71.79kg, 72.57kg, 73.41kg, 73.95kg, 74.35kg, 74.82kg, 75.09kg, 76.55kg, 77.59kg, and you can see that I was gaining about 1lb per month. So my "intuitive eating" was moving me up through maintenance. Then I had a course of medication which caused me to gain 2kgs in as many weeks, I was away from home and eating out a lot, and then peri-menopause. What with one thing any another, I gained back everything I had lost.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me as I can't estimate how much calories I have on my plate at all, and satiety only kicks in a while after eating.

If you estimate your calories you are not eating intuitively anyway. The main reason I can't eat intuitively is that for the things I eat regularly I can estimate my calories now. I can even grab a serving of cheese from a bag and be within a gram of 28. I can't unlearn that and I don't want to unlearn it.

I believe if I stopped counting calories tomorrow I would continue eating right around the same amount I normally do for a couple of months at least. I also believe that as more time passes my calories will begin to creep up again. If I follow through with my agreement (with myself) to continue logging for 5 years of maintenance perhaps my estimating skills will get so reinforced I won't worry about it, maybe not.

There are days when my brain and the log do not sync up. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. Usually when I see a number on my log that doesn't make sense I am right and there is a logging error. Occasionally though it doesn't seem right but it is right. Those are the days that remind me that my mental tally is still fallible.