Recently Started Jogging

kinupmud
kinupmud Posts: 24 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Okay I recently added jogging to my workout. While I am no where near being a cross country runner, I am happy with results I have had. I am able to go a little further each day. I really want to find success with this. I am enjoying it so far. I am blessed to have a nice park close to home that I can jog at. The route is roughly 2 miles. I try to jog as much of it as possible. There are other trails, but I am not quite up to them yet. Are there any extra things I can do on rainy days to help build up my stamina? Are there any suggestions that might help maximize my jog? All and any help is welcome :)

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    The best thing you can do to improve your stamina and endurance at this point is to just keep running. The more you pound the pavement, the better you'll get. Don't try and rush it, though. Build mileage safely by adding no more than 10% per week.

Later on, when you've built a base of endurance, there are tactics you can use to build stamina and run faster, but you don't need to do any of it at this point, just run.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Burpees. Mountain Climbers.
    Both get your heart rate up. Search bodyweight exercises on google and do some of those to work on strength. (although lifting actual weights is even better if you can)
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Find your local park run. (I post this too often to be healthy)

www.parkrun.com

They are fun, timed and easy to fit into a weekend.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    The 30DS, level 3 (but you might want to build up to that by doing levels 1 and 2 first) will help you build and keep that stamina going! This is what you can do at home when its raining or just don't have time for the run. each level is only 20 minutes. Great cardio and its worth the effort.
  • AikenGran
    AikenGran Posts: 4 Member
    My husband and I are new to MFP and we're doing the C25K program. Neither one of us has done any running before so we're starting slow but steady. Make sure you get some friends here at MFP to support you.
This discussion has been closed.