I’ve forgotten how to eat!

Options
Catchy title, I know. Sorry! I don’t mean it as in I don’t eat anymore. I mean it as in I’ve forgotten how to eat to sustain my body vs eating my emotions.

I was on a decent track pre-quarantine but my lord this baloney has messed me up something fierce.

I find myself multiple times a day thinking “What can I eat?” and after thinking for a long while, I default to something “easy”, processed, or sweet.

I made a batch of oatmeal chocolate cookies yesterday for the kids and it’s a struggle to not eat them. Dishes are a wreck because everyone was home yesterday. I don’t have any eggs or anything.

And I have the pallet of a 5 year old now. I’m not sure what happened there but it’s the same “healthy” things over and over again.

I guess I’m just venting and hoping I’m not alone, but if anyone also has any ideas or tips, I’d surely appreciate them 😭

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone, I think it can safely be said that there's a lot of people here on MFP that have exactly the same issue myself included. Food is my go to self-medication for my work stress unfortunately.

It's been really important for me to find other ways of working through my stress - yoga, meditation, etc. I still sometimes lapse back into eating for comfort but at the moment it's not to the detriment of my weight loss goals.

Do you have any activities you like to do that might relieve stress without reaching for the cupboard/fridge?

Perhaps you can make a note of them and pop them on the fridge door.

Also you have kids, you're not always going to be able to make meals from scratch that aren't "easy", give yourself a bit of leeway, you can eat some processed food and still meet your nutritional and weight management goals. You don't have to eat "clean".
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    Catchy title, I know. Sorry! I don’t mean it as in I don’t eat anymore. I mean it as in I’ve forgotten how to eat to sustain my body vs eating my emotions.

I was on a decent track pre-quarantine but my lord this baloney has messed me up something fierce.

I find myself multiple times a day thinking “What can I eat?” and after thinking for a long while, I default to something “easy”, processed, or sweet.

I made a batch of oatmeal chocolate cookies yesterday for the kids and it’s a struggle to not eat them. Dishes are a wreck because everyone was home yesterday. I don’t have any eggs or anything.

And I have the pallet of a 5 year old now. I’m not sure what happened there but it’s the same “healthy” things over and over again.

I guess I’m just venting and hoping I’m not alone, but if anyone also has any ideas or tips, I’d surely appreciate them 😭

This sums up my life. Now that I'm back to logging, I'm starting to realize just how bad I got.

You're not alone. As for tips... I'm trying to get back to the basics... More Chicken. More veggies. More water.