Anterior knee pain below kneecap?

Options
Anyone experience this? It basically feels like internal bruising, but does hurt more when extending my leg. I did high step ups at the gym which probably aggravated it. I have problems with this knee sometimes, but usually not in this area. If it's not one thing it's another in my body. Finally my low back feels a lot better, know it's my upper back/neck/traps that are bothering me and "crunchy," now this! I'm 44 and do have degnerative disc disease (aka as osteoarthritis, I guess) in my low back, but I think it's "traveled" to other joints :(

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    This is often not actually a knee problem, but an IT band problem. IT band syndrome causes knee pain in that area at the attachment point.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Have you started anything novel for training?

How are you applying load management?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I haven't started anything new. I change my routines every 5 weeks or so, but these were all moves I'd done last week (and had done before). My leg/under my knee just started hurting last night in the particular spot. It wasn't hurting while I was doing the high bench step ups yesterday (no added weight), which is what I thought would be the thing to aggravate it. If something hurts, I usually reduce my load or see if I need to adjust my position so it doesn't hurt (not sure if that's what you meant by your question) . I also try to do activation-type moves for muscles I know I underuse during certain moves (or if I use other muscles to compensate)

It feels like some sort of tendonitis ,but am not sure.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    look up patella tendonitis
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I haven't started anything new. I change my routines every 5 weeks or so, but these were all moves I'd done last week (and had done before). My leg/under my knee just started hurting last night in the particular spot. It wasn't hurting while I was doing the high bench step ups yesterday (no added weight), which is what I thought would be the thing to aggravate it. If something hurts, I usually reduce my load or see if I need to adjust my position so it doesn't hurt (not sure if that's what you meant by your question) . I also try to do activation-type moves for muscles I know I underuse during certain moves (or if I use other muscles to compensate)

Without being able to evaluate in person who knows but it does lean towards tendonitis.

So I would suggest a plan in this order and see if things get better over time.
    1. Backing off the intensity
    2. Lesson the ROM, either lower bench or stepping off a mat/mini platforn that starts you higher making bench lower.
    3. Change lift selection to something with specificity such as Bulgarian split squats and move down the rung of lifts until you find things getting better over time.

If it is tendinitis, most people will find success with adding volume at a appropriate intensity in place of what logic tells us to and back off. This is because tendons are course and require more stimulus to allow blood to flow and help heal.

If it is tendonitis, a knee sleeve might be useful to help perform movements and train. That does not mean the sleeve will heal it, just keep things toasty and allow us to rehab.
  • Speakeasy76
    Options

Without being able to evaluate in person who knows but it does lean towards tendonitis.

2. Lesson the ROM, either lower bench or stepping off a mat/mini platforn that starts you higher making bench lower.
    3. Change lift selection to something with specificity such as Bulgarian split squats and move down the rung of lifts until you find things getting better over time.

If it is tendinitis, most people will find success with adding volume at a appropriate intensity in place of what logic tells us to and back off. This is because tendons are course and require more stimulus to allow blood to flow and help heal.

If it is tendonitis, a knee sleeve might be useful to help perform movements and train. That does not mean the sleeve will heal it, just keep things toasty and allow us to rehab.

Thank you so much. I am really trying to listen to my body and not push past (unusual) pain anymore. I get frustrated with setbacks, but given my history I logically know I have to do the right thing.

Just curious, are you a PT or something similar? You seem to have a lot of rehab knowledge.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

Thank you so much. I am really trying to listen to my body and not push past (unusual) pain anymore. I get frustrated with setbacks, but given my history I logically know I have to do the right thing.

Just curious, are you a PT or something similar? You seem to have a lot of rehab knowledge.

Yes I train/coach people of all walks of life and utilize scientific based strategies towards goals.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Patellar tendonitis is over the knee cap, no beneath it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited December 2020
    Options
    If it feels like it's inside of the kneecap (and your age here may matter) it could be bursitis and/or a meniscus injury.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If it feels like it's inside of the kneecap (and your age here may matter) it could be bursitis and/or a meniscus injury.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you. It's been better the past few days and barely noticeable now. It's just under the knee, as if some insertion point of the muscle? It feels bruised because it hurts more if I'm kneeling on it (and I thought it was at first) but it also hurts a bit with flextion and extension. I also remembered what probably caused or aggravated it: a move I learned in Barre called "knee dancing." I go from sitting on my knees to a tall kneel position using mainly my quads.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you. It's been better the past few days and barely noticeable now. It's just under the knee, as if some insertion point of the muscle? It feels bruised because it hurts more if I'm kneeling on it (and I thought it was at first) but it also hurts a bit with flextion and extension. I also remembered what probably caused or aggravated it: a move I learned in Barre called "knee dancing." I go from sitting on my knees to a tall kneel position using mainly my quads.
    It just sounds like inflammation to a ligament. Lateral or medial retinaculum injury. RICE method to help recover.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SnifterPug
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not according to my husband's physio plus various sites online:

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/knee-clinic/knee-conditions/patellar-tendinopathy
  • Speakeasy76
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/knee-clinic/knee-conditions/patellar-tendinopathy

Thanks for sharing. This was actually the first thing that popped up when I google searched it, although I know that in no way is a medical dx. It does feel like, though that my pain is at the point where the muscle attaches to the tibia, even before reading the article you shared, which is what the patella tendon is. I'm not a big jumper but do dance quite a bit (not professionally of course, but dance classes and lessons and as exercise), so I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The patellar tendon runs over the top of the knee cap not underneath it between kneecap and femur/tibia

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SnifterPug
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The patellar tendon runs over the top of the knee cap not underneath it between kneecap and femur/tibia

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think we've been talking at cross purposes. I meant below the patella as in the top of the shin rather than the bottom of the thigh.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think we've been talking at cross purposes. I meant below the patella as in the top of the shin rather than the bottom of the thigh.
    Yes, That would be patella's tendonitis as well as "runner's knee" and "jumper's knee". What most people don't know about tendonitis is that it never completely goes away. There are degrees of pain once you get it. And 90% of the time it's due to overuse.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Speakeasy76
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, That would be patella's tendonitis as well as "runner's knee" and "jumper's knee". What most people don't know about tendonitis is that it never completely goes away. There are degrees of pain once you get it. And 90% of the time it's due to overuse.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah, I think that's what it is, as it's at the top of my tibia bone, just under the knee. I don't run and don't jump a lot, but do dance quite a bit. Yay, guess it's time to make a call to a PT for yet another ailment.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah, I think that's what it is, as it's at the top of my tibia bone, just under the knee. I don't run and don't jump a lot, but do dance quite a bit. Yay, guess it's time to make a call to a PT for yet another ailment.
    There are straps that you can purchase at just about any sports store that you can put around it when you dance or exercise to help alleviate pain. But don't wear it all day.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodyprox-Patella-Basketball-Tendonitis-Volleyball/dp/B07DLFP8Q5/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=straps+for+knee+tendonitis&qid=1609176281&sr=8-6

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There are straps that you can purchase at just about any sports store that you can put around it when you dance or exercise to help alleviate pain. But don't wear it all day.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodyprox-Patella-Basketball-Tendonitis-Volleyball/dp/B07DLFP8Q5/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=straps+for+knee+tendonitis&qid=1609176281&sr=8-6

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you!