Weight Watchers

Options
Has any of you on here ever tried weight watchers? If so, does it work? Do you think it would be easier to use that type of program instead of MFP?

Replies

• kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I did WW back in 2009. Yes it does work but as soon as I left the program my weight came back plus 20.

I still use WW today for recipes, they have fantastic food ideas!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    No. Personally, I don't really think they teach you how to eat right. I've heard of them telling people they weren't there to learn how to eat right and exercise.

Plus, a lot of their frozen meals...you gotta watch what's in them.
  • jeniferwills
    Options
    I also did Weight Watchers. I just cancelled my account recently. It does work, yes. However, I have found the community here to be much more supportive. Also, the food calculation is much more complete. Many things I would want to eat would not be on their list of foods, and I would have to calculate them myself. This program is basically the same thing, you just calculate differently. Both emphasize healthy diet and exercise.
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of weightwatchers on and off over the past 20 years. I don't like the current plan that's in use and lost the most weight about 8 years ago on the previous programme - 35 lbs. It does work but I find that I have to attend the meetings to keep motivated. Weight loss is more about your state of mind and determination, there's no quick fix. I'm hoping that MFP is just as good.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like WW. I follow the WW program and hang out in the MFP forums. I think the WW database is better than MFP where accuracy is concerned.
  • mayajane2011
    Options
    Hi! I recently joined weight watchers about a month and a half ago, and at first I lost the couple pounds easily but I was very frustrated when I was staying within the points and exercising. So I joined this site and I have been losing weight everyday!! See with weightwatchers they didn't show me how much sugar I was eating. I thought since it was low points it was good for me but when I joined on here I realized that I was eating way too much sugar in a day! I would do this site over weight watchers! and its free!
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think any of those diet plans work if you follow them correctly. The problem with most of them though, is that you don't learn how to eat right and you end up gaining weight back. I don't have much experience with WW but I've followed other programs in the past. I lost alot of weight on each program but gained it all back plus more after I finished the program, then I had to start over at an even higher weight so each time it was more discouraging...

I think the best way to do it is to stop following diets. This journing should have no end... it's a lifestyle change. I read that line many times on these message boards since I joined and I've learned that there's a reason everyone repeats it... It's TRUE! Good Luck with your weight loss!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    my best friend does it. It's not really working for her but she estimates points of foods a lot. The same thing would happen here if you estimate portion sizes or calories etc... instead of looking it up. I could never pay the monthly fee to do it seeing as this is free and I get more support here than in the once a week meetings.
    I also don't agree with their 0 point foods that you can eat all you want. Fruit and veggies are for sure good for you but they still have calories and it will add up.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've done it and it worked... I was at goal for a very long time, I even started to work for them....however times change and I can't affort the money for the meetings and the online stuff....so I guess YES it works - MFP is wonderful & also would work IF we apply the info... so my opinion is they both are great you just have to work the program...
  • jeniferwills
    Options
    Well, the thing about Weight Watchers is that it does teach you how to eat right. They focus a lot on healthy eating, and the points values they create really put portion size into perspective. Before I started doing Weight Watchers I had no idea that the portions I was eating were WAY too big. Also, I didn't have a good idea of how much impact snacking has on your diet. In either case, when you have to keep track of what you eat all the time, it puts how much you need to eat every day into a healthier perspective. That can get skewed easily, especially in the US, where we are so used to large portions.

Jen
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Would it be easier? No, you still have to figure out points values for every food you eat and you have to track it. Same as here, except here you will have a better understanding of how many calories your body needs and how many calories you are consuming each day. WW keeps all of that a big secret.

I have been on WW before and I did have some success. However, WW is all about a points value and they don't work in the real world. You don't learn to eat right per say, you learn to find foods that are low in points which again, doesn't apply in the real world.
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well, the thing about Weight Watchers is that it does teach you how to eat right. They focus a lot on healthy eating, and the points values they create really put portion size into perspective. Before I started doing Weight Watchers I had no idea that the portions I was eating were WAY too big. Also, I didn't have a good idea of how much impact snacking has on your diet. In either case, when you have to keep track of what you eat all the time, it puts how much you need to eat every day into a healthier perspective. That can get skewed easily, especially in the US, where we are so used to large portions.

Jen

That's true. But I don't think everyone comes off of the WW program having learned much. Like I said, I don't have much experience with it myself so I can't say that nobody learns how to eat right on it. All I can say is I know people who were on it and some of them didn't learn a thing. They just kept eating junk everyday but within their alloted points. Then once they stopped counting points, they kept eating the same way and portions just kept increasing gradually as junk food never "really" satiates hunger...

But I'm sure there are people on the other side of the spectrum that have learned that you can eat alot more when you're eating well. And that goes whether you're counting calories or points!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I am going to say I think it is like everything in this life...You get what you give! I'm sure there are people that learn how to eat, I'm sure there are an equal number of people who don't. I think it also depends on the group, the "leader", and whether you are really ready to change. If you take it seriously, and will do everything it takes to learn how to eat better, and have the money then do it. But like someone else here said, you can do that here too and it's free. I like free personally. :flowerforyou:
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    It's great that they teach you how to eat right and portion control. That's very important. I just don't understand why it is so expensive. It seems like so many folks on here are doing such a great job losing weight without paying a monthly fee to weight watchers. I was thinking about joining but I'm not too sure now. Thanks for your advice.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    I agree with you Jill. It is a life change. I can see myself starting weight watchers, struggling to try to pay the monthly fee, and eventually get off and then probably gain the weight back. If I could just learn how to eat properly, I would lose my weight and keep it off. I exercise and been eating ok but most of my friends say i am not eating enough, i am eating under my bmr because i feel full and bloated if i force myself to eat more. It's difficult. I wish I could eat 1700-1800 cals a day. Thats my bmr but i usually eat 1300 to 1400 and have gained weight. So, I gotta work on my eating. I thought weight watchers would assist with that, but thats something i gottta do on my own. Thank you so very much for your support and advice:smile:
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is great for people who lack common sense about portion control. MFP is better for people who want to learn how to eat healthy portions and relate it to real life measurements rather than WW bogus point system.

WW is hit or miss imo, I have done it before and had excellent leaders and support from the group; but I've also been in horrifically TERRIBLE groups as well. (One leader even told me to stop eating as much protein as I was because I was gaining weight and I needed to lose more. I was building muscle from weight lifting and losing body fat. Number on scale did not drop, pant size did.)

I find the MFP community support to be more sufficient to fit my needs during all the diff stages of weight loss I will go through. But if you dig the atmosphere from your local WW group, by all means, fork out the dough.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    Hmmm points value....I don't even get their system and if it doesnt work in the real world like you state, whats the point of trying it. Also it seems a lot like MFP, because you gotta log and track your food. At least with MFP, you're not paying a monthly fee. Thanks for the advice.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    I agree free is better and it seems like all of the same stuff. I'll just stick wit MFP. I gotta give it some time. I'm sure I will see results once I start eating more and healthier foods.:smile:
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am currently on WW and have made it work with MFP.. I like some of the recipes but mostly what I get from it is information and an extra push. I'm probably one of the "black sheep" of WW though, because I let all the nonfat this and fat free that go in one ear and out the other and I'm still losing weight by the points plus system. Give it a shot, the first meeting is free so you can see if it will help you or not. I love both WW and MFP, not planning to give up either at the moment.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    My broke self don't have the money for Weight Watchers lol, at least now now. I just wanted to see if any of you had any positive results because I was thinking about joining once I find a job, but after reading many comments from folks who have been a part of WW, I think I'll simply push it on the back burner for now and just continue trying to do things on my own and with the support of all you guys. Thanks so much to all of you for your advice! :smile: