Let's make parenting even harder....

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Loved the one about the organic stuff.

My poor kids have to deal with whatever "I" show up with. And no, we never subscribed to that anorexic elf either.

Do you know they now have class rings for MIDDLE SCHOOLERS? When will the madness end?!
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    People inflict it upon themselves. A family member was recently telling me about how she makes goody bags for her kid's entire classroom for every holiday. She was shocked that I don't do the same. Not worth the time, stress, money or worry about whose kid is allergic to which foods or which parent finds Spongebob offensive. I parent with common sense, and by instinct not by a book or what I "should be" doing according to the schoolyard Moms.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just figured out how long I have been a parent (still have 2 at home). I have done without pinterest, please. My children have walks and talks, dates with Dad (yeah I want them to have a certain expectation of behavior form their dates), taxi cab drives with dad as the taxi driver, and sometimes sitting quietly in the same room just to enjoy being with them. The ones now out of the house call home, check in and tell Dad we are alive, healthy and not too bad. Translation: don't worry yet dad I will let you know.

I hate the orgasmic birthday parties the family gets lost while the children try to pretend this is the best of the best. Yet in the end what do you remember the most about your parents?

What do you want your children to remember about you?

I sometimes get friend requests on facebook because my children were telling their friends about their Dad. I like that compliment. Please don't invite my chlidren to the orgasmic parties it sends the wrong message.

Consider me weird for having travelled the world as a child and am glad for my family which kept me grounded so I want my children to know their family.

9f7.gif
  • SouperDuck
    SouperDuck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hmm, orgasmic parties. That could be all kinds of fun. Not kid friendly, though.

I'm just hoping it was some horrible autocorrect thing that came out "orgasmic parties"
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Wen I was a baby I slept on my stomach and probably went to formula way too early. Growing up I didn't wear a seat belt or wear a bicycle helmet. We played in the streets and came home when the street lights came on.

And I'm still alive. Imagine that!
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    Hmm, orgasmic parties. That could be all kinds of fun. Not kid friendly, though.

I'm just hoping it was some horrible autocorrect thing that came out "orgasmic parties"

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what it could possibly mean and why we've never received an invite to an orgasmic party. That might be the only kids party I'd be interested in attending haha
  • MT30_backbone
    Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with competition between parents not so much kids expectations....I'm not sure a 2 year old knows the difference between a $10 walmart cake and a $80 trendy bakery cake....but you know, you have to make sure your facebook pictures look great!

I agree with this!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

2. Elf on the Shelf

Simply singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" used to be enough to put kids in check. Now they have a snitch. Not just any snitch, but one in which Mom and Dad have to place in humorous and cutesy positions every night to entertain the kids and remind them to be good. Because completing Christmas shopping, baking for holiday parties, seeing family, going to light shows, and wrapping presents isn't enough to keep us busy during that month. We need to add a stupid elf to the list. (Full disclosure: HJ and B's elf is currently in my closet, ready to make her debut this Christmas.)

That elf is good peoples he saved my Christmas tree this year!
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with competition between parents not so much kids expectations....I'm not sure a 2 year old knows the difference between a $10 walmart cake and a $80 trendy bakery cake....but you know, you have to make sure your facebook pictures look great!
    BINGO!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

It's ALL about the facebooks!
  • SouperDuck
    SouperDuck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

$80 cake? Oh no, no no. I have done a $300 kid party cake before. cha-ching.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Amen.

I know. Raised two in the 80's and am now raising another (8 year old). Amazing to watch the parents now. Most think I am crazy. But who gives a crap. My son is healthy, happy, and gets along with everyone.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    People inflict it upon themselves. A family member was recently telling me about how she makes goody bags for her kid's entire classroom for every holiday. She was shocked that I don't do the same. Not worth the time, stress, money or worry about whose kid is allergic to which foods or which parent finds Spongebob offensive. I parent with common sense, and by instinct not by a book or what I "should be" doing according to the schoolyard Moms.
    Ditto!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

$80 cake? Oh no, no no. I have done a $300 kid party cake before. cha-ching.

I've never paid for a cake... I'm lucky in that I have cake making friends :)
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    9f7.gif
    Totally crying at my desk!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I could have written this rant myself. I have so many friends that complain how hard it is to be a mom and then they list off all these assnine activities that are completely uncessary. Here's how I do it:

1. Birthday parties = cake, ice cream, shenanigans with friends.

2. Elf on the Shelf? My kids have never heard of it. And I really find it creepy.

3. Organic--don't get me started. My step-kids mom buys them organic "pop-tarts". Are you kidding me? My step-son still runs around like monkey on crack whether the sugar is natural or comes from alien-DNA-implanted GMO corn mush.

4. Ok, we're guilty of the sports thing. We all just love our sports so much. :blushing:

5. Pinterest. *sigh* I have a love/hate thing with Pinterest. I find such great stuff, but sometimes I can't make it work like I saw on Pinterest. Then I feel like such a failure. Pinterest, you're a passive-agressive b****.

Organic junk food is still junk food. That is ridiculous.

Life can be as simple or complicated as we choose to make it. We can choose to raise our kids more simply and I think that it's VERY important that they have time in nature, both supervised and unsupervised. That's one thing most kids are missing these days and that bodes very badly for humans, other species, and our environment. We are a part of nature and we are dependent upon it for our life.

I have no idea what Pinterest is. I don't have a smart phone. I choose not to have cable television. I live in the Arctic. I go to work, my child goes to school. We hike in nature, ride atvs/snowmobiles, do crafts in the house... it's not boring, it's SIMPLE and we get lots of time together and there's ample time to make healthy home-cooked meals.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Remember when our grandmothers used to be able to have Martinis and cigarettes to cure nausea while pregnant?

Que Bob Dylan: "For the times they are a-changin'"
  • singha99
    singha99 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have totally been in my backyard laughing at the over the top birthday parties my neighbors threw for their kids, leasing high end SUVs and Mercedes every other year, standing around talking about how much they paid for this and that LOL Yet they never seem HAPPY or CONTENT.

Their offspring are mostly ungrateful disrespectful little monsters unless they are at my home or talking to me. The parents always ask how do you DO that? Simple...I PARENT and let them KNOW I am an ADULT and they are still a CHILD !! ... 3 of these same neighbors have lost their home to foreclosure :-/ my kids learned a long time ago don't come home and tell us so and so got this or that =)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    BINGO!

I don't think you can get a cake at Walmart for $10 either, my kids are stuck w/ home made, and in my opion taste is a whole lot better.
    Daughter turned 13 today-she wanted me to take her and 8 of her friends to a waterpark...I was like, "nope, we have a pool in the backyard, you can have a sleep over, swim, bonfire at night, I will make you a cake and make frozen pizzas" So tonight there will be 8 teenage girls probably keeping me awake, but saving me a crapton of money and they will probably have a great time!! :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Did someone say "orgasmic parties"!?!?!?

30519-Obama-Oh-Yeah-Gif-u5cA.gif

i-can-*kitten*-to-this-gif.gif