I just had oven-roasted broccoli for the first time

Options
RelCanonical
RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
edited December 2020 in Food and Nutrition
My only regret is not having tried it sooner. Holy cow so good, and I'm somebody who does like broccoli cooked in other manners.

Anything you've tried later in life that you wish you'd discovered earlier?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I’ve never actually tried it, and I like broccoli! 🥦
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    This thread made me cook some to go with dinner tonight :laugh:
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    One of my favorite vegan meals is a Vegan Buddha Bowl by Minimalist Baker with roasted sweet potato, broccolini, red onion, chickpeas and kale with a maple tahini lemon juice dressing.

Vegetable chopped salads are something I love now that I didn't try until later in life. Most involve kale.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I tried Waldorf salad for the first time last week and it discovered it was a great way to use up leftover celery.

Lighten the dressing by using ranch or a combo of ranch and yoghurt instead of classic mayo. Dry ingredients were celery, granny smith, a light sprinkle of raisins and a light sprinle of chopped walnuts toasted in a scant amount of butter and a generous pinch of salt. Toasting the walnuts made this salad sing, as you get occasional little bursts of salty walnut or sugary raisin.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love broccoli lots of ways, but roasting is probably my go-to favorite.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is my favorite green vegetable, but I'm never happy when I roast it. What am I doing wrong? 😮
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Roasted green beans are good too, a drizzle of olive oil, some crushed garlic, pine nuts too if you like them.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Broccoli is my favorite green vegetable, but I'm never happy when I roast it. What am I doing wrong? 😮

Maybe you just prefer it other ways, but what's the problem when you roast it? That might help us figure it out. (I think the easiest thing to mess up is just cooking too long, as it can overcook quickly.)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Roasted green beans are good too, a drizzle of olive oil, some crushed garlic, pine nuts too if you like them.

Oddly enough, I never roast green beans, as I like them so well sauteed and I think overcooking would be too easy. I do add pinenuts or silvered almonds and garlic when I sautee, at least for any nice dinner type occasion.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »

I had trouble roasting mine--just didn't like how it came out, so I looked up recipes on internet. I divided the flowerets and threw them in boiling salted water until slightly softened. Then drain well, throw in a big bowl and add olive oil, salt, pepper, mixed herbs--whatever you like for spices. Mix well and then put on an oven proof pan lined with parchment paper. Roast at 350° or 400° until you like the crispiness. They turned out perfectly.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Kale chips--tried making them and love them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Love broccoli raw. Hate it cooked, and I’ve cooked it many different ways. Same with cauliflower.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Love broccoli raw. Hate it cooked, and I’ve cooked it many different ways. Same with cauliflower.

I am the complete opposite. Hate both raw but loveeee them steamed or roasted!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I discovered later in life that while I do not like EVOO from Europe, I do like it from California or South America.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    Options
    I just throw some in the air fryer for the last two or three minutes of whatever I’m grilling in it. Very tasty.

Late life loves: Brussels sprouts. Asparagus. FRESH peas. As opposed to the godawful canned versions mom foisted on us as kids. Still can’t learn to love a lima bean, though.

Slowly developing a taste for plain black teas.

I have an elderly lovebird He can see me pull broccoli out of the fridge- even if it’s heavily wrapped or in a tub- from all the way acrost the room and will immediately start squealing for some. How does he know?!
  • snowflake954
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I discovered later in life that while I do not like EVOO from Europe, I do like it from California or South America.

That may be because a lot of EVOO coming from Europe has been mixed with inferior oils. The real stuff is fantastic. Also, the flavor changes depending on the terrain that the olive trees grow on.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    +1,000,000. If there's a vegetable you don't think you like, especially if you've mostly had it raw or from a can, try it roasted. I usually do 375-400F for 20-40 minutes depending on what and how much I'm cooking. Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe other spices if you're feeling fancy (paprika is a perennial favorite), and half an hour or so later you have a delicious side dish. The way I usually prepare it is to cut up my vegetable into a bowl (on my scale, of course), add the oil and seasonings, then cover the bowl with a slightly larger bowl and shake it to evenly coat everything.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Same here! Raw broccoli and cauliflower make me feel like I just stuck my face in moss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Same here! Raw broccoli and cauliflower make me feel like I just stuck my face in moss.

I love broccoli and cauliflower in almost all forms, but I just don't like it raw. Sometime about the taste and texture combined is so unpleasant to me.