How Much Protein?

So I am maintaining my weight right now and preferably want to gain some muscle too, mostly because of strength reason, but who does not like a decent aesthetic.

Background Information : I am going to be 31 in less than a month. Female, weight ranges from 95-98 lbs, height 4 feet 11 inches. I have been working out 6 days a week. Push ups, pull ups, dips, variation of these, handstand, frogstand on parallettes, 4/5 days a week. Deadlift, squat, lunges and a few accessory leg workout with barbell and dumbbells once a week as a high volume leg day. Any sort of activity on the rest day like walking the pets, jumping rope intervals, walking in general.

How much protein do you suggest? I have seen in a few studies, 0.8g of protein for maintaining would suffice. So around 77g of protein, roughly equivalent to 250g of chicken breast?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,499 Member
    0.8g per pound is plenty, and probably a little more than you need, but that's fine, no harm in having some extra protein. Try to space it throughout the day.

Meanwhile, the American College of Sports Medicine recommends that to increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, you need to consume between 1.2 and 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Do any of you drink protein shakes to help get your protein requirements in?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »

I do. Some people are quite anti the idea of drinking your calories, but so long as it's not leaving you feeling hungry, it's fine. I chuck some berries (blackberries, boysenberries, and blackcurrants) into my supper shake, which adds some fibre and makes it a bit more substantial.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

I gather I lot of people on MFP do, but I don't. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I don't generally find them tasty or satisfying, so I stick to food I enjoy to reach my goal (100g daily protein goal in maintenance, as a vegetarian weighing around 125 nowadays; I let it fall to 80s-90s while losing, I admit; now I usually exceed 100). It would be easier if I ate meat/fish, harder if fully plant-based (I'm ovo-lacto veg). 🤷‍♀️
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,499 Member
    Yes, because as a guy aiming for about 150g per day it's the easiest way for me to get there while also keeping total calories in check. I usually have a vanilla scoop with banana for breakfast, and then a flavored scoop after a workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    @sarah7591
    Not often when maintaining because I have a generally large calorie allowance but after a long cycle ride I find them very handy (with a load of granola in) as a recovery food that doesn't fill me up too much.

When I was losing weight then I used them more frequently as a high protein but low calorie supplement (minus the granola) to hit my goal without crowding out other foods withing a more restricted calorie allowance.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,105 Member

I don't drink protein shakes, but I do add protein powder to my skyr yoghurt or my oatmeal for breakfast.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I did while learning to balance my macros, but found it less necessary with time. Nothing against them.
    I’d just rather spend the calories on food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member

I make protein drinks with plain protein powder to which I add flavorings, fat, and fiber.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    I add a protein powder to my oatmeal, non-flavored, and I get 17grams of protein at breakfast.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I also add in some protein powder to my oatmeal, makes it much easier to get the amount of protein where I feel good/full, especially in the mornings. I can be a bit low on protein on the days I don't eat meat (tho I do tend to eat a decent amount of beans, lentils etc)
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Ditto on the protein powder in oatmeal. Not always, though.