What to do with a 3 pound zucchini?

Options
abetterluke
abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
No seriously...a gardener friend of mine grew some huge zucchini's this year and gave me one. I'm guessing it weighs in the 3 lbs range. It's about 15 inches long or so.

Curious what to do with it? I don't want to make zucchini bread...

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    peel - de seed , GRILL lightly brush with OO and garlic - delish!!!!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Make a simple zucchini gratin as a side for dinner, and then put the leftovers in a quiche.

I used this recipe (minus the potatoes and squash) several times this summer when I was overrun with zucchini: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/provencal-summer-squash-and-potato-gratin-recipe/index.html
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Perfect for stuffed zucchini! Cut length-wise, remove seeds. Scoop out until about 1/4 inch thick. Saute onions with garlic and scooped zucchini flesh, can add mushrooms or bell pepper. In separate pan brown ground beef or turkey. Mix all stuffing together, can add some cheese and egg too. Stuff zucchinis. Place in pyrex dish filled with a little bit of broth to cover the bottom, cover with foil, bake in 375 about 40 min. Can add some more cheese on top and bake for another 5 or 10 min by the end. You can also add al dente cooked fine pasta or some rice to the inside if you like.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I'll get a strike if I tell you what I REALLY think! :bigsmile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You and me both sister! 15 inches!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Stuffed & grilled. For sure.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Kind of a personal question, if you ask me.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Julienne it or slice into super thin rounds and put it in spaghetti. That's one of the few ways I'll eat it.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I can't tell you my first idea (:blushing: ) but my second idea is no noodle lasagna. You can google the recipe or find it on
    the website allrecipes.com. The zucchini takes the place of the noodles!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Put some olive oil in a pan and brown up some onions, then cut up the zucchini and cover and cook until softened. We love the stuff.

I like to add a touch of garlic to mine.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Grill on the BBQ.....yum!
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    mini pizzas!! sliced, I think baked with marinara and mozzarella sprinkled on each slice.....

Honestly reading the title i thought this thread was in fun n games forum lol
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I made this zucchini ziti recently and everyone loved it.

http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-zucchini-ziti/
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Julienne it or slice into super thin rounds and put it in spaghetti. That's one of the few ways I'll eat it.

This is what I am doing with all my zucchini and summer squash that have gotten too big. Sautee them in olive oil until they are tender crisp and then throw your sauce on top. It is absolutely delish! I have been slicing them and they putting them in ziploc bags and freezing to use later.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Here's a pic of it...seriously this thing is ridiculous. The craziest thing is that this was the smallest one he had!

faugpg.jpg
  • cassi9879
    cassi9879 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Use what you want now. Slice/shred the rest and freeze it for later. Store it in quantities you'd use for the recipes you like.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

You and me both sister! 15 inches!!!
    0f2.gif
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Look up a recipe for Calabacitas. Incredible way to save that large a zucchini.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/calabacitas.html

Leave out the cilantro is my recommendation, but most people like that stuff. :tongue:
  • shelleymcdaniel
    Options
    Slice it thin and roast the slices in the oven until tender. Make lasagne using the zucchini slices instead of lasagna noodles.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Perfect for stuffed zucchini! Cut length-wise, remove seeds. Scoop out until about 1/4 inch thick. Saute onions with garlic and scooped zucchini flesh, can add mushrooms or bell pepper. In separate pan brown ground beef or turkey. Mix all stuffing together, can add some cheese and egg too. Stuff zucchinis. Place in pyrex dish filled with a little bit of broth to cover the bottom, cover with foil, bake in 375 about 40 min. Can add some more cheese on top and bake for another 5 or 10 min by the end. You can also add al dente cooked fine pasta or some rice to the inside if you like.

Good with Italian sausage, too! I am going to try one filled with other roasted veggies and lentils, I think.