Subway?

Options
do you guys really believe the 6 inch sub calorie counts on subway's menu site?

My boyfriend and I split a footlong turkey breast and ham sand (no cheese) with lettuce, onions, peppers, tomato, pepperocini and mustard.

subway's website says a 6inch (half of the footlong) is only 290 cal.

I find that so hard to believe as when I log in my three "small slices of french bread" it tells me the calories for that alone is 263.

1) i feel like subway bread is more equal to 4 slices of french bread
2) even if it isn't, I refuse to believe that turkey,ham,mustard,onion (etc) is only 27 cal total.

what gives?

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    do you guys really believe the 6 inch sub calorie counts on subway's menu site?

My boyfriend and I split a footlong turkey breast and ham sand (no cheese) with lettuce, onions, peppers, tomato, pepperocini and mustard.

subway's website says a 6inch (half of the footlong) is only 290 cal.

I find that so hard to believe as when I log in my three "small slices of french bread" it tells me the calories for that alone is 263.

1) i feel like subway bread is more equal to 4 slices of french bread
    2) even if it isn't, I refuse to believe that turkey,ham,mustard,onion (etc) is only 27 cal total.

what gives?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Oh it is. French bread uses full fat/high carb ingredience, subway uses
    reduced fat/carb ingredience. It's all about what you use to make it.
  • milomoose
    milomoose Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi LonelyPilgrim,

I have a little calorie booklet from a Subway store here.

In it, a 6-inch Turkey Breast & Ham sub is listed at 290 Calories.
    (this Value includes: Whole wheat bread, lettuce, onions, green peppers, pickles and olives)

Now, on another page it gives the calorie counts for just the breads alone. A 6-inch piece of wheat bread is 200 calories, meaning (according to them) the meats and veggies total 80 cals.

I agree with you... it does sound a bit off.
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    the turkey and ham cant be just 80 cals can it? I mean its three slices of turkey and 2 slicses of ham granted you can almost see through the ham. Maybe its fat free turket too?
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    The FDA watches these things way too closely for them to get away with false figures. And if it did slip by the FDA somehow, Mc Donalds and Burger King (the comparisons listed on the napkins) would spend any amount of time and money to dispute their claims and ruin them in front of the media. So, I'd be willing to bet my first born its accurate. The bread they use is very "fluff". It's baked fresh with no persevatives so it seems like a lot of bread when in reality it is not. If you looked at the calories/carbs in a hogie roll bought at the super market it would be 400+. Go check out togo's nutritional information now. It's nearly tripple subways calories. But, togos loads the sandwich with meat and the bread is far more dense. You notice just by the fullness after you finish. I can't eat a whole small at Togo's but I could easly eat a footlong at subway. The vegetables on the sandwich are all negative calorie foods, aside from the olives. I believe it is 2oz of lean turkey breast meat which is nothing.

Just be thankful it is less than 300 calories. It taste good, it's filling, and its fast and cheap. The frozen diet dinners don't even compare. I live off these things. lol
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    id like to beleive them i know here its yummy to the max although i usualy have the wrap so need to find out what the calorie count is for that next time i go. oh and i dont have sauces on mine just salt and pepper for me thanks
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    It's true, I watched a whole big expose on these things, it included subway. the show had an independant lab confirm the calories, it was accurate to within 5% from 5 different subway's (about 15 calories). On the downside they had a lot of sodium.

Now Burger King, they were off by over 100 calories on their whopper! And they were low too!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    cool, thanks! good to know, I'll have to start eating there more often!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just remember that doesn't include cheese. That adds another 40-50 deending on the kind. And sauces too... but even with that stuff it isn't a bad deal. I eat there alot!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    This is completely off topic and unrelated but I can't do Subway without the cheese... Just can't do it. :laugh:
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    Just had a double meat BMT from Subway....about 700 calories....I should have chosen the turkey, it would have been half (even the double stacked turkey without cheese is about 330 calories!!!)

Melissa
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    This is completely off topic and unrelated but I can't do Subway without the cheese... Just can't do it. :laugh:

I am there with ya. For me... no sub is complete without cheese and its Chipotle sauce.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    How many cals for the tuna wrap w/ no cheese or sauce? Just veggies?
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Try going to www.subway.com I keep this in my favorites as Subway is the only "fast food" I eat now. The site lists everything, even the dressings they use.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I love subway, in fact I've been getting a sub there every other day for the past week. The calories are nice and low, the food is great, and right now they've got that 5$ foot long sub deal which is effectively lunch for two days. 2.50 for a healthy meal? Yes please!
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    They don't list the calorie content of the tuna wrap
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    They don't list the calorie content of the tuna wrap

http://www.dietbites.com/subway-calories-wraps.html

I just did a search for subway tuna wrap
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    Woww! I might as well be eating the turkey & bacon, with SW chipolte sauce and cheese! Holy @#$%! No more of that for this chica. :noway: :devil: :mad:
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options

I am there with ya. For me... no sub is complete without cheese and its Chipotle sauce.

I'm not that big of a cheese person. I skip the cheese. I don't like it's texture
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    Just a tip-- with the wraps, do they offer a whole wheat tortilla? Because even though the calories are low in the italian bread and the flour tortilla, you are consuming simple sugars that spike your blood sugar level up high. Stick with the wheat bread (it's the same calories as the italian) or do a wheat tortilla if they have it. I've also learned recently that simple sugars generate a bigger appetite. Since I quit eating them, my diet has been much easier. I'm not always hungry and craving sweets.