Going over on sugar?

Options
My breakfast is pretty consistent, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 slice of bread, a banana, and a cup of whole milk. The only problem is I am eating practically my whole allowance of sugar in just the milk/banana, leaving me nothing for my bedtime snack. Do I need to worry about it, since I am having trouble keeping my sugar down, or is it OK?

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No. As long as the sugar is from natural sources like fruit it's ok to go over. Maybe try skimmed or semi skimmed milk if you can.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    if it was me I would lay off of the milk in the morning since it is so high in sugar. if it is from fruit I don't really worry about it. You could also substitute your bread since it has sugar or try Plain almond butter on a banana with cinnamon. It really pulls out the sweetness of the banana and I usually put walnuts or something crunchy on top.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over and I am still losing weight.
    What is important in my life style change is 3 servings {about 2 cups} of fresh fruit daily.
    So if my sugar is higher because of this I ignore.
    I also like !/2 tsp of honey on my oatmeal in the morning. so I ignore the sugar there.

Where sugar creeps in is in millk, salad dressing , pasta, bread. All these products have sugar. but these are important for my diet so I ignore.

However, all other sources and types of sugars sugar have to left out , the 1/4 tsp I used to put in my cup of tea , frozen fruit juices, canned or packaged juices, all sodas, sweets , candy bakery items. Ice cream as well.
    I don't do artificial sweetners, they cause headaches along with a whole variety of health problems. If I need an energy boost then I add a plum, an apple , a peach , strawberries etc. or fresh squeezed orange juice.

I drink lots of water in between.

Every so often I will buy a cookie, a Dark {note Dark only } chocolate bar. The cookie can be a weekly treat the choco monthly. .
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    unless you've specifically been told to watch your sugar intake, don't freak out about it.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try and keep my sugar down also. I use Hood brand milk which only has 4grams of sugar per glass.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No. As long as the sugar is from natural sources like fruit it's ok to go over. Maybe try skimmed or semi skimmed milk if you can.

^^^^^ This

From what I have gathered, the sugar allowance is only for processed sugars. On days I eat a lot of fruit. I always go over on sugar, and it's never been detrimental to my weight loss.

Try it for yourself. Are you losing weight, even though you're going over on sugar? If so, then you don't have a problem!

And as someone else stated, fruit is also high in fibre, so you don't get the "crash" later on.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar on my chart. I'm always over. There other other things I am more concerned about.
  • CreepingBriar
    CreepingBriar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I will try low fat milk after I finish this gallon. I was just worried because I usually try to budget for something sweet at the end of the day.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    All the reputable, sources I can find (AHA, NIH, etc) only specify guidelines for added sugars (so those not naturally occurring in fruit, milk, etc.). For added sugars, the recommendation seems to be no more than 35g/ day for women, or roughly 5-6 tsp for those without underlying medical conditions.

For me, I find adding cardamom, ginger, or cinnamon to things makes them taste sweeter without the actual sugar content.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Natural honey is always a good natural sweet alternative to white sugar.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • ellel1234
    ellel1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents on sugar when it comes to weight loss. I believe there to be a huge difference between natural sugars in fruits versus all other sorts of sugars (processed refined sugars). I usually am conscious of my sugar intake but if it is from fruit I am less concerned.

As for all other foods besides fruit and milk -- I go by the rule of "9".... Read more in this article of breaking the sugar addiction:
    http://pinterest.com/offsite/?token=290-931&url=http://nicoleburley.com/sugar-addiction/

Basically, it is stating do not eat anything with more than 9grams of sugar per serving.

Another thing to keep in mind with processed foods with high sugar content is that the sugars in those empty calories actually make you more hungry! Everyone knows empty calories will not fill you up, but what some don't realize is that it actually makes you more hungry. They cause a quick blood-sugar spike and then makes you very tired after and go for another source of calories for more energy - leading to binge eating.