Help?? Building muscle but not losing fat?

I started working out January 2020 with the goal of getting a smaller but toned body (especially legs). Since then, I have tried HIIT, long distance running, and even periods of not working out but i'm not getting the results I've wanted. My legs are actually bigger than when I've started, as it seems i've not only gained leg muscle, but kept all of my leg fat as well, which is extremely disappointing. I don't know if i can cut my calories any lower, as I eat about 1000-1200 a day. Please help?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2020
    If you aren't losing weight then it's likely due to diet. I would ask how consistent do you track your calories? Are you using a food scale and log daily? Do you have medical conditions? And most importantly, what are your stats?

Eta: can you open your food diary
  • sashabee25
    sashabee25 Posts: 24 Member
    I don't track my food on MFP unfortunately. However, even though I don't know the exact calories of what i'm eating, I am sure that they are pretty low. For example, some days i'll have an egg and two slices of bread with butter, and i'm full for the day.
  • sashabee25
    sashabee25 Posts: 24 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sashabee25 wrote: »
    I don't track my food on MFP unfortunately. However, even though I don't know the exact calories of what i'm eating, I am sure that they are pretty low. For example, some days i'll have an egg and two slices of bread with butter, and i'm full for the day.

Based on my experience and the studies, people tend to under estimate calories in and over estimate calories out.

This happened with my wife. She would remember the few low calorie days, and not realize the once a week time she was going out had a big impact on her weight loss, especially since she is short and not super active. And the leaner you are, the harder fat loss is.

My first recommendation would be get a good scale and track for a month. You might be surprised like my wife was.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you, I'll try that!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    edited December 2020
    In addition to all of the great advice above, I would tack on to remember to include things like cooking oils, drinks, condiments, dressings, etc..when you're tracking, as those are things people tend to forget. One tablespoon of olive oil is around 120 calories, so that adds up quickly if you're using more than that, especially several times a day. If you're the kind of person with a regular soda habit, that is also incredibly eye opening adding up those calories too!

I used to care-freely drink a LOT of wine in the 90's, until WW opened up my eyes to those calories :(
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In addition to all of the great advice above, I would tack on to remember to include things like cooking oils, drinks, condiments, dressings, etc..when you're tracking, as those are things people tend to forget. One tablespoon of olive oil is around 120 calories, so that adds up quickly if you're using more than that, especially several times a day. If you're the kind of person with a regular soda habit, that is also incredibly eye opening adding up those calories too!

I used to care-freely drink a LOT of wine in the 90's, until WW opened up my eyes to those calories :(

Same here in the early 2000s, only mine was margaritas with friends. We'd go split pitchers at a time in the local Mexican place and eat baskets of chips and salsa. I couldn't figure out how I was gaining so much weight at that time. Also couldn't figure out why I was always broke. It was a mystery. 🤔
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Also, the way to build muscle is to do resistance training. HIIT and long distance running are great for cardio fitness, but they’re not going to build muscle. You may see or perceive an increase in strength, but that doesn’t mean an increase in actual muscle tissue.

There are many body weight exercises you can do with videos on YouTube to get started if you’re not in a place with access to a gym. There are resistance bands and dumbbells available as well, with instructional guides if you want to invest in some (relatively) affordable home equipment that won’t take up a lot of space.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,541 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Also, the way to build muscle is to do resistance training. HIIT and long distance running are great for cardio fitness, but they’re not going to build muscle. You may see or perceive an increase in strength, but that doesn’t mean an increase in actual muscle tissue.

There are many body weight exercises you can do with videos on YouTube to get started if you’re not in a place with access to a gym. There are resistance bands and dumbbells available as well, with instructional guides if you want to invest in some (relatively) affordable home equipment that won’t take up a lot of space.

I think the op implied that her legs were getting TOO muscular, so she decided to stop lifing and do long distance running in the hopes of shedding some of the "bulk".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

I think the op implied that her legs were getting TOO muscular, so she decided to stop lifing and do long distance running in the hopes of shedding some of the "bulk".

And what typically bulks woman? Body fat, water retention or perspection. I wish the OP would post stats. Gives more insight to provide better answers.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I just wish women would stop hating on muscular thighs.

Strong, muscular legs are amazing AND functional!

Agreed! 🏋🏻‍♀️
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I carry most of my weight in my legs. Due to high stress, I’ve lost a considerable amount of weight, including muscle mass in the past few months. It bugs the *kitten* out of me when my husband tells me how great my legs look right now because I am NOT healthy. And there is no way I’m staying near underweight just because that’s the only time my thighs are slim.

I agree with @KickassAmazon76 and implore you embrace your thick, muscular thighs.