Open water swimming

Options
Hey folks,
Now my area is in Tier 4 (UK) & the pool's closed, I'm thinking of popping over to my local OW swimming lake and trying it out. I had booked in for a taster session but that's been cancelled (due to the aforesaid T4 restrictions). Since it's staffed, should I just watch ALL the YT vids and then (metaphorically) throw myself in (or at least wade, try breathing whilst still able to stand etc) or should I wait for the T4 to end? I've only just got back into swimming regularly and don't want to lose my momentum.
TIA for any advice :-)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...are you able to go swim at the lake during T4? Do you know how to swim well enough to do an open water swim?
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hey DM! Yup to the first question- its local so the travel restrictions don't apply, and cos it's out doors, it's allowable under the 'exercise' exemptions.
    I'm able to swim a mile in the pool (45 mins fc, probably 55min bs) but wasn't sure what difference being outdoors will make as to whether I should just go for it (I'm a cold water scuba diver so have some appropriate gear and a sense of what its like to be in cold water) or wait for a professional introduction.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'd say just go for it. Don't go out too far.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If you’re a good swimmer already and used to the cold from scuba, you should be able to transition outdoors without instruction. I started open water swimming in the summer not winter, but I did a few short swims to start with and some mobility near shore (treading water etc) to get used to the temp. Main issue for me was the breathing (cold water gasping reflex) so the treading water and short visits built my confidence. I can’t do it anymore owing to injury but it is amazing - go for it! 😀
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OWS is a different sport from pool laps. You might adapt immediately or you might struggle a little or a lot. Consider: How cold is the water? I assume in the UK it’s pretty cold this time of year. I prefer a wetsuit in the 70s and don’t even like to swim with a wetsuit below 65.
    Do you have a triathlon wet suit? (Scuba and surfing gear is not flexible enough for ows.)
    Please wear a swim buoy to maintain visibility. (Check Amazon.)
    Be safe, even if it’s a life-guarded area, and have fun!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you know you can handle the cold and have a suitable wetsuit then give it a go, but make sure the staff/someone knows you are a newbie and keeps an eye on you. Doing a mile in open water is WAY different from a mile in the pool so build up slowly and get out of the water before you think you must. That feeling in the pool of "yeah, I'm knackered but I need to do a few more lengths to make my distance" - fine in the pool. Madness in open water. Remember distances in open water are deceptive until you get used to the venue - you will be further from the shore than you think you are. Make sure you have a thermos of hot drink in the car for afterwards.
  • splenderella61
    splenderella61 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I live in the PNW about 20 miles south of the Canadian Border. My sister and I have been swimming 4-5 times a week in a local lake, which has a walking path around it and there are currently no other swimmer, always in wetsuits with appropriate head, hand, foot gear as the weather got colder. We are down to 41 degree F water temp. We have "trained" our bodies for the cold water, have swim safety rules in place. I am a stronger swimmer than her so she usually does a 30 min swim tops and then gets out and changes/warms up but doesn't leave until I'm out. I can do a 2.5 hr swim in warmer weather but I'm keeping it to 45-60 min swims in the colder water. I'd rather keep track of my time than distance when the water temp drops. Even if the wind is blowing, it's foggy or raining, just getting out from the swim beach and over our heads and within visibility of each other and a point person on the shore), it makes us feel better mentally. It only takes 15 minutes to make the difference...I'd say 5-15 is better than nothing. We also have Bellingham Bay (I live 4 blocks from it) and can swim there. It's balmy compared to the lake...about 45-48 degrees. There's a large OW group that's a great group that anyone can join and hook up with someone to swim with in various places, at any times, etc. I have yet to do so because my body is still handling the lake as it gets colder. Good luck to all those who are starting. There are many good videos on YouTube for safety and beginners.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll give it a go, but start off just spending 5 mins or so each time, just acclimatising.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes! I've only scuba'd in the tropics and OWS season ends for me in late August, so I'm shivering just thinking about it!
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I live in the PNW about 20 miles south of the Canadian Border. My sister and I have been swimming 4-5 times a week in a local lake, which has a walking path around it and there are currently no other swimmer, always in wetsuits with appropriate head, hand, foot gear as the weather got colder. We are down to 41 degree F water temp. We have "trained" our bodies for the cold water, have swim safety rules in place. I am a stronger swimmer than her so she usually does a 30 min swim tops and then gets out and changes/warms up but doesn't leave until I'm out. I can do a 2.5 hr swim in warmer weather but I'm keeping it to 45-60 min swims in the colder water. I'd rather keep track of my time than distance when the water temp drops. Even if the wind is blowing, it's foggy or raining, just getting out from the swim beach and over our heads and within visibility of each other and a point person on the shore), it makes us feel better mentally. It only takes 15 minutes to make the difference...I'd say 5-15 is better than nothing. We also have Bellingham Bay (I live 4 blocks from it) and can swim there. It's balmy compared to the lake...about 45-48 degrees. There's a large OW group that's a great group that anyone can join and hook up with someone to swim with in various places, at any times, etc. I have yet to do so because my body is still handling the lake as it gets colder. Good luck to all those who are starting. There are many good videos on YouTube for safety and beginners.

I envy you that you can go that cold!! How awesome!!
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll give it a go, but start off just spending 5 mins or so each time, just acclimatising.

Keep us posted!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I swim outdoors in cooler temps, but not as cold as some here describe. I wear my triathlon wetsuit, and when water temps get colder, say below 62, I also wear a neoprene swim cap and sometimes booties. I've found that my hands and feet don't really bother me in cold water, but the shock of the cold water gives me "brain freeze". Wearing a neoprene cap that covers my ears and head keeps that discomfort to a minimum.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Cos my 'taster' session was cancelled, I've got a 1-1 session to replace it. :smiley: Guess I'm going in! Just waiting on the instructor to get in touch with her availability. B)