Very good logging software

Options
I've tried some other food and exercise logging sites and apps, but this is the easiest one I've found.
Thanks.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,180 Member
    Options
    I started out using a USDA site called Super Tracker because I didn't want to use a commercial service. They shut down compete with private business. It actually was somewhat awkward and balky; MFP is much easier to use. It just takes a few minutes a day to track what goes in my mouth and what I work off through movement.

Glad you're enjoying it, too.

Much success on your journey!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Wonderful: Tools that suit us can be a big help in successfully accomplishing our goals! What sorts of goals do you plan to use MFP to achieve? Wishing you great success!
  • gaverill123
    gaverill123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to be under 200 lbs. by August 1, 2021. I'm at 261 right now. Planning on 10 lbs. lost each month. I am starting to do a lot of indoor rowing and cross-country skiing. I love both activities, as well as Tai Chi. The system has my calorie goal at 1990 per day, but I have a hard time eating that many calories. And when I log my exercise, I'm usually way below 1990.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Ten pounds per month is over two pounds a week. That is a very aggressive target.

If you exercise four or five days a week, you'll be burning over 3000 calories per day, and that target of just under 2000 calories a day will get you that two pounds a week. But it's going to be a struggle.

I'd really encourage you to consider a slower approach. You'll still get there, but you'll do it in a healthier way. You'll also be more likely to be able to keep doing it when you get to your goal.

I also really suggest being very accurate with logging your food. You may be eating a fair bit more than you think. Your diary shows very small amounts of food. If this is how much you usually eat, you should already be losing lots of weight.

Please be careful and take care of yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to be under 200 lbs. by August 1, 2021. I'm at 261 right now. Planning on 10 lbs. lost each month. I am starting to do a lot of indoor rowing and cross-country skiing. I love both activities, as well as Tai Chi. The system has my calorie goal at 1990 per day, but I have a hard time eating that many calories. And when I log my exercise, I'm usually way below 1990.

That sounds like a good plan, though 2.5 pounds a week may be a bit agressive quite soon (many here think a long term weight loss effort should rely on 0.5%-1% max of current weight per week as loss rate) to manage physical stress and health risk. 1990 sounds reasonable (I assume that's 1990 + exercise?).

I'm a long time rower (on water in season, machine in Winter), studied Tai Chi for some years (my late husband was a teacher of Chinese martial arts, and I also studied), and used to cross country ski (iffy knees now), so that sounds like a good combination for diverse fitness, to me . . . but I may be prejudiced. 😉 I'm in machine rowing season now, just coming off finishing the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge, took a short break over the holidays after that, and now shifting into a more varied routine. I'm 65 now, lost weight with MFP back in 2015, now maintaining a healthy weight after 3 previous decades of obesity. I maintain on something around or a bit over your current calorie level, but I'm only 5'5".

Wishing you lots of fun with your fitness routine, and much success with MFP on the weight loss front!
  • gaverill123
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great life and an active life. I also love the Concept 2 rower. I've never been competitive with indoor rowing, but I love the total body fitness it offers. I'm aiming for 10 lbs. per week loss, but I'll be fine if it's 5 lbs. I'm 64 and I've been up and down in the last few years. I have Type 2 Diabetes now and when I row a lot, do the Nordictrack skier, and do Tai Chi and Qi Gong, my blood sugars are great. Can't quit now. I'm not getting any younger.
  • gaverill123
    Options
    I appreciate your comments and I agree that I need to be consistent, but maybe back off that 10 lbs. per month. Thanks.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Just keep the long game in mind.

We may not be GETTING younger, but we can sure feel younger if we do it right.

I row a raft, but sometimes get on an ergometer. It's a different style of rowing. In my raft, my seat doesn't move, and I lean forward and back. Big no-no for rowing a shell or an erg. And boy howdy does the erg kick my butt. Burns a lot of fuel. So I need to be sure to refuel with healthy foods. Pay attention to how you feel, and keep tracking.

You're right; MFP is a good tool. It's up to us to make the best use of it. Like any tool. It's like the old adage that if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. MFP is kind of like a Leatherman multi-tool. There's lots you can do with it.

Keep on rowing!