Serial starter - in need of buddies

I'm one of those "use the app for a month" people then I fall off the wagon.

I've put on a stone over the festive period and I'm the heaviest I've ever been (12st 3lbs)! I'm only 5"2 so unfortunately it shows and puts me in the obese category. Weighing myself this morning was devastating! I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. I was always one of those eat what you want skinny folk until I hit 26/27. Now 32, my weight has crept up after being in a comfortable relationship and I have a serious snacking problem. I know Covid doesn't help at the moment but I'm trying not to use it as an excuse.

I'm determined I need to change my lifestyle and get this extra weight off, both for my self esteem and my health. Type 2 Diabetes and NAFLD runs in my family so I don't want to follow in the footsteps of my mother.

I'm a nurse so I find I have to eat at erratic times when I have the time. We've recently got a labrador so I've been out walking and playing with him once a day which has definitely helped my step count. Also hoping to get back into cycling this year as I used to when I was younger and loved it. I have to enjoy exercise or I won't stick at it.

My fiance and I are attempting to change our diet together as we've both put on the pounds lately.

Any help/suggestions would be great, I want to make sure I stick at it this time and make positive changes instead of abandoning it when it gets too tough or inconvenient!

B x

Replies

• Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I also often start for a month then fall off. I’m 5’ and need to lose at least 30 lbs. I recently turned 40 and need to get this weight off now!
  • SGP53015
    SGP53015 Posts: 3 Member
    Same here! Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm a 5'8, 63 yr old grandma. I seriously need to lose 35 lbs. Logging everything that goes in my mouth and attempting exercise 3x a week. (I blame my weight gain on Covid-brain!)
    We can all use some support on this journey to better health.
  • _wild_phoenix_
    _wild_phoenix_ Posts: 31 Member
    I know the struggle, the erratic eating times (not a nurse but I am security). 5' 3" and it seems every pound shows. Obesity and related health issues run in my family so do everything I can to end that cycle.
  • jetfan919
    jetfan919 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm right there with you. 54 year old from Connecticut, USA. I started Noom in June, lost 10 lbs, stopped when school started in August and I've gained 8 back. Feel free to add me as a friend, maybe we can get past the first month together!
  • ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Me too!
    Habitual re-starter

39F
    Mom to 2
    Night shift nurse
  • Leish211
    Leish211 Posts: 6 Member
    hello! feel free to add me! I'm 5"3 and also have just recently started as I'm also at my heaviest. It's ways nice to know there are others going through the same situation xx
  • rcsnead907
    rcsnead907 Posts: 1 Member
    I am a serial starter too! Got so bad I deleted my account and started over. Add me- I need new friends.
  • LunaAmour
    LunaAmour Posts: 35 Member
    Hi! I’m a serial starter and honestly have yo-yo’ed the same 60 lbs up and down about 3 times in the pst several years... I have been using the app for ages but haven’t added friends from the forum for at least 5 years.Feel free to add me! I just started again last week.
    37/F SW 215 CW 209 GW/LW 150
  • Lantana50
    Lantana50 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello there. Using the app for the month is better than me - I use it for 2 days and then quit. Many times, I log in at night and forget all the junk I've stuffed in my mouth that day, mindless eating. I love junk food but do try to have good meals as well. I need to cut out the snacking, junk food and carbs. I hope this is the year I can stick with it as every year I am getting bigger and bigger. Please add me as a friend. I have none at the moment but will try to get "with the plan" here.
  • GoNatGo2016
    GoNatGo2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Please add me too. At 5 feet I get it. I've kept off 20 but have 30 to go at least.
  • eliseducky
    eliseducky Posts: 12 Member
    free free to add me as a friend! i'm in the need of support too, i've gained 1/2 a stone over the festive period and i'm realising that if i don't have friends and community to check in with and influence me for the better i just don't get it done

i've got 20lbs to take off in total
    lookforward to meeting you!
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Please feel free to add me! I've had success with MFP in the past but was eating too few calories so it wasn't sustainable and I gained it all back and then some. I'm trying to net out to 1500 cal/day after food/exercise are accounted for. Would love to follow people who have similar food goals so we can get ideas from each other.

I work full time so would love some friends/support buddies who are also stuck in an office or workplace all day!

I have about 20-30 lbs to go. Good luck everyone and hope to meet you!
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    I'm one of those "use the app for a month" people then I fall off the wagon.

I've put on a stone over the festive period and I'm the heaviest I've ever been (12st 3lbs)! I'm only 5"2 so unfortunately it shows and puts me in the obese category. Weighing myself this morning was devastating! I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. I was always one of those eat what you want skinny folk until I hit 26/27. Now 32, my weight has crept up after being in a comfortable relationship and I have a serious snacking problem. I know Covid doesn't help at the moment but I'm trying not to use it as an excuse.

I'm determined I need to change my lifestyle and get this extra weight off, both for my self esteem and my health. Type 2 Diabetes and NAFLD runs in my family so I don't want to follow in the footsteps of my mother.

I'm a nurse so I find I have to eat at erratic times when I have the time. We've recently got a labrador so I've been out walking and playing with him once a day which has definitely helped my step count. Also hoping to get back into cycling this year as I used to when I was younger and loved it. I have to enjoy exercise or I won't stick at it.

My fiance and I are attempting to change our diet together as we've both put on the pounds lately.

Any help/suggestions would be great, I want to make sure I stick at it this time and make positive changes instead of abandoning it when it gets too tough or inconvenient!

B x

Feel free to ad me too!!
  • shinexc
    shinexc Posts: 11 Member
    I feel like i always start using this app for the "New year new me" time peripd then fall off by February. Unfortunately i havent lost any weight after having my 2 babies in the last 2 years and am currently at my heaviest also so now I'm feeling the need to actually try and lose the weight. I even started a new account for a fresh start instead of seeing my "progress" from the many times before. Feel free to add me for motovation and support. Good luck on your journey :)
  • Angrish101
    Angrish101 Posts: 14 Member
    I was using the free version of the App on/off for a long time, but changed to Premium basically so I'd be more accountable to myself. In saying that, I'm going through a bit of a lifestyle change in general, not just dietary. I'm introducing better morning rituals including guided breathing, 20mins HIT and a cold shower, just to wake up my senses:) I'm determined to use the App in conjunction with my food intake. I spend Saturdays putting together a meal plan and Sunday I shop, then batch cook what I can for the week ahead. Whenever I sit down to eat, I add the content to MFP. I find this is a much better alternative to mindless scrolling thru social media, in fact I've removed FB, Messenger, Twitter and Instagram off my phone entirely. I now only check social media on my computer at night, if I even turn it on. The time saved is incredible, that is time better spent focusing on you, your diet and your well-being. My diary is open, so feel free to add me and check it out.
  • coffeesunrise
    coffeesunrise Posts: 12 Member
    Add me for support. Happy for anyone to add me. Im 5'2" as well, serial starter too (well a couple of times).
  • cvdub16
    cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hello, I am too a serial starter for sure! I have even deleted I think two other accounts and started over already. This is my third I believe. Feel free to add me if you would like. :)

Wife and mother to 5 kids (4 of the kids we share with the other parent so we only have our almost 2yr 24/7)
    Work full time
    36yrs
    50lbs to loose
  • lynn1
    lynn1 Posts: 20 Member
    Me!!!!! 5’5” 244 lb I’ll be 62 in April!