Is it better to eat nothing and wait to go home and eat, or eat fast food if that is the only opti

Options
maplevines
maplevines Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I work in fast food and there has been a bunch of times where I wake up early, don't have time to eat breakfast, and forget to pack a lunch. However, I don't want to eat the food here because one, the only things I can eat here are the deep fried stuff, and two, we have a mouse problem and they've been finding mice poop in the grill section eat morning.

Do you think it's better to just eat the food here? Or hold over and wait until I get home?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    please call the health department

aside from that, if you can make food (from anywhere) fit in your goals for the day (calorie/macro/whatever they may be), then its fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I was at college one of my part time jobs was washing dishes in a steak restaurant.
    The chef was so unhygienic I would only eat the chips (US - French fries).
    Figured even a filthy chef couldn't contaminate frozen chips dropped into a deep fat fryer.

And then one evening his wig fell in the deep fat fryer and he retrieved it and didn't even change the oil.

No I wouldn't eat the food from a dirty restaurant, took me years to eat anywhere that didn't have an open kitchen.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above.
    Also, buy some protein bars, tins of tuna or bananas or something on your way home so you have something to eat tomorrow if you find yourself without time to make a proper meal.
  • maplevines
    maplevines Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Edit:

The place I work at has already contacted the health authorities about the issue, but they said that food can still be served as long as we clean it up in the morning. It's gross but that's just how it is where I live :/

I still don't want to eat the food though cause it's a daily issue
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Do your best to bring food from home with you. It will help you mentally and physically. Things like nuts (preportioned), some fruits, protein bars (I don’t care for them), beef jerky (high in sodium) can be left in your car for the times you didn’t pack and are starving. I’d rather have a snack that will bridge the gap until I get home than eat fried foods.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    In addition to good suggestions above, there are lots of recipes online for "egg muffins" (like a mini quiche or frittata without crust)", breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches with nutritious ingredients that you can make ahead in a batch (not a lot of work), freeze, and zap in the microwave.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Do prep breakfasts and lunches before the morning of. Here are some tips, including links to some "egg muffin" recipes:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10775039/on-the-go-breakfast-tips
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    So easy to 'solve' your issue:

1 Call the health department A.S.A.P.!

2 Plan to have 'grab and go' items ready ....'if you fail to plan then you plan to fail...'😘
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    The health authorities have already been contacted - that part is out of OP's hands now.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Agree with have things prepped to take with you. Instead of a fruit bowl on the table, a bowl with protein bars, breakfast bars, individual bags of nuts, individual muffins, Packages of crackers, and some fruit. Grab something on your way out the door.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    In the nicest possible way, if the thought of eating mice poop food isn't enough to motivate you to pack a breakfast/lunch, I honestly don't know what will.

If you can't face food prep, I would stick some protein bars in your pockets/by the door/by your keys - wherever you can't avoid on your way out. Nice protein bars will tide you by in a pinch, and you can then have a proper more balanced meal when you get in.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Put your car keys on top of the lunch so that there is no way you'll forget it in the morning.

Further to this suggestion, yo u can put modern car keys in the fridge, I thought it might muck up the buzzer unlock thing but it doesnt - so putting them on top of your lunch box in the fridge would be very handy way to not be able to leave your pre made lunch behind.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Per the above suggestions...pack your lunch the night before, then put your car keys on top of it in the fridge so you don't forget. Another thing you could do is pack a protein bar or two, a piece of fruit/nuts/jerky/whatever in a bag and stick it next to your car keys if you don't want to get a full meal. Either way, don't eat the restaurant food. The idea of mouse droppings would make me.lose my appetite...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    In the nicest possible way, if the thought of eating mice poop food isn't enough to motivate you to pack a breakfast/lunch, I honestly don't know what will.

If you can't face food prep, I would stick some protein bars in your pockets/by the door/by your keys - wherever you can't avoid on your way out. Nice protein bars will tide you by in a pinch, and you can then have a proper more balanced meal when you get in.

This. The either/or you have identified is not a real either/or. If I failed to pack lunch/eat breakfast (I don't currently eat breakfast anyway) and thought the option was disgusting, as you have suggested, then that would be one day of being a bit hungry and a reminder to bring lunch tomorrow.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you are truly hungry and there are no other options: eat. Just be smart about it, as you would with anything else.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eating fast food that fits in your calories isn't going to derail your progress. Not eating and binging when you get home might.

However, the situation that you outlined says to me you need to pack food or go to a different restaurant for lunch- and call the health department.