"Welcome to the world of weight loss" - Really Sad

Options
I've just watched this BBC documentray and it follows members and runners of Weight Watchers, Slimming World, and Rosemary Conley weight loss clubs, and I have just been left feeling so sad. So many people depriving themselves and believing it is the only way - one woman hadn't eaten cheese for a year and declared that she probably would never be able to if she wanted to keep the weight off, countless others bashing themselves for eating "bad" things, but worst of all, the people that thought they were doing great by staying within the plan. One lady ate spring rolls, biscuits and fish fingers for her daily intake and it was deemed a success as it had stayed within points.

Yes, all these people had lost weight to some degree or another, but not one looked fit, and they all seemed to have to severely restrict themselves, and acknowledged it was a lifetime restriction. It just seems so wrong.

The rosemary Conley one seemed best in that at least there was some emphasis on exercise and meetings included light cardio, but I just wanted to tell all of these people that mfp was free, sustainable, and not restrictive in the way they have condemned themselves to.. Everyone justified it by saying "it's a lifestyle change" - the exact same thing we say here, yet my lifestyle change still allows me to eat and drink what I want if I work it into my calories, nothing is off limits, but I do make choices, all without banning myself from anything. I just really feel sad for these people, it wasn't an uplifting or motivating socumentary in the slightest :frown:

Has anyone else caught it? It's available on BBC iplayer for the next four days if you're interested..

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I believe that many people feel the benefit of an actual real life support team. Plus the discipline of a public weekly weigh in is a motivator.

I saw the program. I always remind myself when I watch anything on telly that it has been edited in order to tell whatever story the director wants. But it won't be " the truth" whatever that is.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The weekly weigh in is so often followed by the weekly binge after fat club! These clubs do nothing to tackle nutrition and mental health. Overheating, eating disorders and emotional eaters are all around us but don't get the help they need to feed themselves with nutrients!

Don't get me started on school kids and the habits perpetuated by the tuck shop and take away options for lunch!

Lastly we have to take responsibility for our own health and be disciplined. That's the toughest part of all. These clubs should teach people how handle temptation when they are alone and how to listen their nutritional needs and deal with tough situations by talking about them, not eating them! I think the club leaders should be trained nutritionists..... But then they wouldn't support the diet industry at all f that were the case, they'd know it was a fraud! None of these clubs you pay subs for want members to get thin. The longer you stay hooked on sugar the more money they can take in.....

I tell everyone, consult a nutritionist and do some research of your own, be informed.

Oooooo I feel much better getting that off my chest.... Thanks!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I believe that many people feel the benefit of an actual real life support team. Plus the discipline of a public weekly weigh in is a motivator.

I saw the program. I always remind myself when I watch anything on telly that it has been edited in order to tell whatever story the director wants. But it won't be " the truth" whatever that is.

Yes it definitely seemed edited to give an awkward feel to it all, I'm sure if they wanted to paint it more positively or negatively it wouldn't have been hard - but the awkward feeling, just leaves me so cold! Thanks BBC :grumble: *runs to youtube to watch some actually motivating videos to rebalance sanity levels*
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I am a current member of weight watchers, and let me tell you, I love it. I absolutely need the motivation of a weekly meeting, and no, no one in my meeting pushes their food or products on me constantly. I went there about two years ago and lost 40lbs, and then when I had to go back to college, they did not have meetings in that town, so I had to quite. I joined MFP then, and gained back everything I had lost, simply because I did not have the support I had from the meetings, and therefore no motivation. Now that I am back on the WW program, I've lost 7lbs or so since the beginning of August when I joined.

I feel like there is a ton of misinformation about the program, and I'm sure some of it does come from real life experience. I'm sure at SOME meetings, the leaders don't push healthy eating, or they just try to sell their foods and their frozen foods, but this is absolutely not the case in my meetings. We discuss eating fresh foods, fruits, veggies, and home-cooked foods. Yes, I have purchased some of their granola bars, but never have I felt like I needed it to succeed.

I love the lessons we have each week, they absolutely teach me about how to manage living my life while trying to lose weight. We have talked about in the past few weeks; making quick dinners (NO we did not ever bring in the idea of throwing in a microwave meal), how sleep affects health, strategies to shop smart at the supermarket, and how to think about what you eat before you eat it. Real life lessons. They also strongly encourage getting in at least 3 days of exercise a week.

I'm sure that there are a few bad apples in terms of leaders and meetings, but it is not the case all the time. Making these blanket statements is wrong. I eat what I want if it fits my points, I eat fresh foods as much as I can, I never feel deprived. This works for me.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Completely irrelevant but I went to.. not WW, the other one (red green days) a few years ago for about 10 weeks, with my best friend. Every single member sitting there (and my mate) were wearing shapeless black trousers with a shapeless cotton jersey top.

I advised her to wear clothes that show her (tiny) waist and stop 'dressing fat'! Showing off your best features, great boobs, small waist, elegant wrists/ankles..whatever it is - is an INSTANT way to drop a stone. :-) Baggy clothes don't hide anything - they just add volume.

She lost quite a bit, btw, since then at least 20lbs. She's currently on the Jason Vale juicing diet and it's dropping off her!
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    Sigh. I am a current member of weight watchers, and let me tell you, I love it. I absolutely need the motivation of a weekly meeting, and no, no one in my meeting pushes their food or products on me constantly. I went there about two years ago and lost 40lbs, and then when I had to go back to college, they did not have meetings in that town, so I had to quite. I joined MFP then, and gained back everything I had lost, simply because I did not have the support I had from the meetings, and therefore no motivation. Now that I am back on the WW program, I've lost 7lbs or so since the beginning of August when I joined.

I feel like there is a ton of misinformation about the program, and I'm sure some of it does come from real life experience. I'm sure at SOME meetings, the leaders don't push healthy eating, or they just try to sell their foods and their frozen foods, but this is absolutely not the case in my meetings. We discuss eating fresh foods, fruits, veggies, and home-cooked foods. Yes, I have purchased some of their granola bars, but never have I felt like I needed it to succeed.

I love the lessons we have each week, they absolutely teach me about how to manage living my life while trying to lose weight. We have talked about in the past few weeks; making quick dinners (NO we did not ever bring in the idea of throwing in a microwave meal), how sleep affects health, strategies to shop smart at the supermarket, and how to think about what you eat before you eat it. Real life lessons. They also strongly encourage getting in at least 3 days of exercise a week.

I'm sure that there are a few bad apples in terms of leaders and meetings, but it is not the case all the time. Making these blanket statements is wrong. I eat what I want if it fits my points, I eat fresh foods as much as I can, I never feel deprived. This works for me.

See this sounds much more positive. My post wan't intended to bash the organisations per say, more the way the documentary left one feeling at their protrayal.. like I said, it was just very awkward and sad, and I have no doubt that was the exact intention of the director. There really didn't seem much emphasis on the support aspect, or even a positive spin on perceived success (i.e weight loss) because even that was left with a "but it's coming at this saddening price" feeling to it. If you have the time, as a WW goer take a gander at the documentary and let me know what you think, I'd love to know if it leaves you with the same feeling it did me after watching! :smile:
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My boss is currently doing WW after her doctor told her she NEEDED to lose 30 lbs (not just suggested). She is currently in her first month, and 3 weeks in and is doing ok. She hasn't said how much she has lost but she seems to like it and is working for her as she can eat what she "wants" as long as she tracks it. She does go over her daily points at times, but not over her weekly "extra". Since she paid for 3 months and will do it all (since she paid might as well) and will re-evaluate after the 3 months. (She is doing the online only I believe as she hasn't mentioned going to meetings) We attempt to work out together, but weather kills that half the time (or at least that's the "excuse" she uses. I don't mind walking in a rain, but lightning will be a no go, but she wont go out in the rain because it will "ruin my hair".)
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

See this sounds much more positive. My post wan't intended to bash the organisations per say, more the way the documentary left one feeling at their protrayal.. like I said, it was just very awkward and sad, and I have no doubt that was the exact intention of the director. There really didn't seem much emphasis on the support aspect, or even a positive spin on perceived success (i.e weight loss) because even that was left with a "but it's coming at this saddening price" feeling to it. If you have the time, as a WW goer take a gander at the documentary and let me know what you think, I'd love to know if it leaves you with the same feeling it did me after watching! :smile:

I'm sure there are definitely people who feel like they cannot eat cheese ever again on these programs, and in that case, I feel like they might think that no matter what program they were attempting to follow. The support at the meetings is tremendous, who else is going to clap for you for losing five pounds?

It does sound sad, and I am interested in watching it just to see how it differs from my perspective. Where did you find it? And yeah, editing is magic. They can make anything look terrible I'm sure.
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    It can be found on the BBC iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me - I missed it (ironically because I was doing exercise :D).