"I would never want to be that skinny"

Options
foreverblissful
foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
Has anyone else heard this comment after/during their weightloss journey? I've started noticing people say this to me a lot more and I don't even consider myself thin lol. A part of me wonders where does this comment come from. I usually just mention I lost weight for health reasons and that I am content with where I am visually and health-wise. How do you guys react to this?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    People can project their discomfort with themselves on to you. It's up to you to reject/rebuke it.

However (un)polite you want to be in the moment about it - if you feel a response is even necessary - is up to you. 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I think some people don’t realize comments like that can be offensive because being skinny has has been the ideal beauty standard. Seems like we are more cautious about what we say to overweight ppl oppose to people who are thin.

I wonder if they look at people who are overweight and say “ I’d never want to be that large” to their face.

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I think some people don’t realize comments like that can be offensive because being skinny has has been the ideal beauty standard. Seems like we are more cautious about what we say to overweight ppl oppose to people who are thin.

I wonder if they look at people who are overweight and say “ I’d never want to be that large” to their face.

I'm pretty sure they do. I have some large friends and the number of people, who feel it's their right to comment on someone else's size, is rather astounding. And sad.
  • foreverblissful
    Options
    Not really sure how I would react but my mental image would be something like this

b2ho7b08hxnu.gif

Honestly. I've gotten so used to it, I just shrug it off now lol. Depending on who it is it can still get a little annoying though.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    1d0011404d901e6a76d8f97fd249ce0e.jpg

This!
  • foreverblissful
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Crabs in a bucket mentality is real. I'd personally consider "I'd never want to be that skinny" a tad insulting. To me it translates to "Please stop improving yourself as it's exposing my own self-imposed limitations."

The fitness community has been the most supportive bunch of people I have ever been in touch with. Awe-inspiring stories and truly encouraging and inspiring people of all walks of life giving each other support.

I don't even know the point of this reply - just take it that you're all awesome!!!!

I interpreted it the same way and posted this a little out of confusion after hearing this for the 100th time to make sure I wasn't crazy or my reaction was normal I guess. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thank you 🥺💛
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Crabs in a bucket mentality is real. I'd personally consider "I'd never want to be that skinny" a tad insulting. To me it translates to "Please stop improving yourself as it's exposing my own self-imposed limitations."

The fitness community has been the most supportive bunch of people I have ever been in touch with. Awe-inspiring stories and truly encouraging and inspiring people of all walks of life giving each other support.

I don't even know the point of this reply - just take it that you're all awesome!!!!

I interpreted it the same way and posted this a little out of confusion after hearing this for the 100th time to make sure I wasn't crazy or my reaction was normal I guess. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thank you 🥺💛

My advice? Ignore them, keep being you with NO APOLOGIES! If you get any more comments about being "that skinny" just look them up and down and then tell them that they have nothing to worry about 😂

You've got this! 🔥🔥🔥🔥
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I get that comment a lot. I usually retort with "But I do!" and take a vicious bite out of a rice cake (plain).
  • twitchandshout
    twitchandshout Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this thread it triggers me.

I've been on both sides - my nickname as a teen was "heavy duty." Being tormented for being overweight by peers and adults was complete hell for me. Ultimately, the emotional trauma set the ball rolling for me to lose the weight.

I began starving myself, eating 400 calories a day. It felt good to be in control, but I didn't realize how bad things were until my hair started falling out.

Four months in I found myself lying on the bathroom floor. Long story short - I was hospitalized for Anorexia.

When people would comment "how skinny I was," it was such a compliment to me. Little did they know I was killing myself to be "accepted and loved." It was more motivation to continue. Besides, isn't it "better" to be called skinny? That was a teenagers mindset....I've since grown.

Moral of the story - people need to STFU! My size does not define me, and it's none of your *kitten* business...it's mine.

Thank you for sharing some of your story ❤️
  • foreverblissful
    Options
    Every time I see this thread it triggers me.

I've been on both sides - my nickname as a teen was "heavy duty." Being tormented for being overweight by peers and adults was complete hell for me. Ultimately, the emotional trauma set the ball rolling for me to lose the weight.

I began starving myself, eating 400 calories a day. It felt good to be in control, but I didn't realize how bad things were until my hair started falling out.

Four months in I found myself lying on the bathroom floor. Long story short - I was hospitalized for Anorexia.

When people would comment "how skinny I was," it was such a compliment to me. Little did they know I was killing myself to be "accepted and loved." It was more motivation to continue. Besides, isn't it "better" to be called skinny? That was a teenagers mindset....I've since grown.

Moral of the story - people need to STFU! My size does not define me, and it's none of your *kitten* business...it's mine.

Thank you so much for sharing this! Honestly that was one of my fears in my health journey while losing weight, was that people would see it as a "oh you're getting skinny so you're automatically healthier/better, you can eat that sugar cookie now it's okay! It won't hurt"(knowing I have a sensitivity to sugar 🙄) it's not just the weight, it's about your health. There was something I read the other day and it said "it's better to stay at a higher weight than it is to yo-yo diet." I would even add to that statement and say it's better to stay at that higher weight than to lose it in an unhealthy way as well. I wish this was a more universally stated thing, because it is absolutely true.

Also I'm sorry if the thread is triggering I should have been more sensitive to that! Is it the title? Would you like me to change it or add a trigger warning?