elliptical in miles

Options
Does anyone know the distance you go in miles if you exercise for 30 minutes on an elliptical?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    That would depend quite a lot on your stride and your intensity. No way for us to calculate that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I go about 4 miles in an hour on an elliptical.

What you do, may be more or less.

The machine may have a display/function that tells you distance.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Nobody can really tell. The type of movement is different to running as well as you don't 'jump' but keep your feel on the ground. Maybe cross country skiing without curves or changing tracks would be somewhat comparable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Zero miles - you haven't moved anywhere.
    There isn't a standard movement for ellipticals and they vary massively in design.
    And then you could be striding fast or slow, on an incline or flat, high or low resistance / effort levels......

Miles and ellipticals really don't go together unless they are outdoors machines that do actually move like the Elliptigo.
    udgtljk03dl0.png

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Zero miles - you haven't moved anywhere.
    There isn't a standard movement for ellipticals and they vary massively in design.
    And then you could be striding fast or slow, on an incline or flat, high or low resistance / effort levels......

Miles and ellipticals really don't go together unless they are outdoors machines that do actually move like the Elliptigo.
    udgtljk03dl0.png

Dear me, do people actually use those, they must have amazing balance and co-ordination - I would die.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83

I've read stories of people doing epic trips of hundreds of miles on them. (At least you won't get saddle sore!)
    But it's even more niche than recumbent outdoor bikes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To add to the already stated fact you can't know - any machine telling you a distance is bogus too.
    And I think some try to.
    Which for personal records is fine to see progress, and that would be it's only purpose.
    Except there if you change incline or intensity as if there was incline - you could review past records and wonder why your distance was farther than current workouts, when in reality the intensity changed.
    So it sounds like a not-useful figure even to track.

It's been interesting to watch those elliptical bikes - I'd like to try one.
    How about a cross-country ski option? ;-)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just as an anecdote: Ages ago I had an eliptical and wanted to know how many km I made in a session. So I measured the 'stride length', which was useful as that thing showed the number of 'strides' at the end of a workout. And I was like: Whoa! I can do 10km! For a university mapping and field preparation course I had to measure stride length when walking and running. Lets just say my running strides were a lot smaller than this eliptical.
  • pcn2020
    pcn2020 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical...yes, it depends upon your stride. I do 2.5 miles in 29 minutes.