Not new but new to for real holding myself accountable.

Options
Hi all!

I've had an account on MFP for years and last year even made an effort to really take things seriously to lose weight and get in shape. It was fine for a few months and then the pandemic hit. I didn't gain weight over the last year... or at least, not exactly. But I'd eat well and work out, then stop for a while and gain everything back. Then start again. And stop.

You get the idea.

About a month ago I decided that's it... 2021 is my year to do this. So for the last few weeks I've been slowly working on actually following the eating habits I know work best for me. And also adding in exercise a bit at a time.

And now... here I am in the community showing myself and saying things.

I want to lose 25 pounds and my goal is to lose it by the end of April. While also working out regularly and getting stronger and more in shape.

So there you have it. First post on the forums after years.

Hi! Lovely to meet you all!

Replies

• skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm hoping to lose about the same amount as my initial goal, and then another 25 or so after that. Always up for more friends to give and receive accountability and support, if you'd like to add me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    @fabriziabitesyou

It's great you're taking steps to improve. It's simple, but it sure isn't easy. If you need to lose "just" 25 pounds, trying to do it in four months might be a little aggressive. If you can take the longer view, and if you can try to lose just a half pound a week, you'll be down 26 pounds a year from now. Warren Miller used to say, "If you don't do it now, you'll be a year older when you do."

Where do you see yourself a year from now?

How can you set up good habits during your weight loss that you will be able to maintain after you get to your goal? Because that's the golden riddle; maintaining.

Seems you've already seen this with losing and gaining. How can you set up a new approach that will get you to goal and keep you there?
  • fabriziabitesyou
    fabriziabitesyou Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @skctilidie My apologies for not responding sooner. I didn't realize there were any responses to my post until I went into my profile to look.

But YES!! I'd love to connect and do this together. I've used the app for years, but rarely the discussions and community, so I'm still figuring out how to use it. Will go and see about adding you now. xox
  • fabriziabitesyou
    fabriziabitesyou Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot I completely understand where you're coming from. That's the way I've always lost weight. It worked for me after I had my first kid and I lost the baby weight plus some. This attitude hasn't really worked for me now, so I decided to try something different. With a bit more edge to the goal. If that makes sense.

Thank you for your insights!
  • kavithamakayee168
    Options
    I am in the same boat...been on MFP a while never took advantage of the forums. I spent the past year seriously tracking food and getting exercise. I am about 5 pounds away from my goal but I really need to get better with my diet..here to help and get advice!
  • fabriziabitesyou
    Options
    @kavithamakayee168 That's amazing, though. When you say you want to get better with your diet, what would you like to do differently than you do now?

I eat pretty well most of the time but finding time to exercise is the harder part. And I'm about 25 pounds away from my goal right now, which I guess is about halfway through.