mini exercise bikes - do they work?

Hi all,

I'm back again for another attempt at losing weight (and kicking myself for not maintaining and sticking with it back when I was 169lbs).

Due to this never ending Covid-19 pandemic I'm really struggling with being as active as I would normally be. I'm basically stuck at home behind a computer all the time (and the north of England feels like it's never not been locked down since last March!).

I've been looking at mini exercise bikes on amazon and am debating getting one for under the desk so at least I'm burning some calories. Has anyone got any experience of them or know how well they work? I'd love a proper exercise bike but no space for one and I don't feel safe enough out and about to ride my bike somewhere when I'm pretty new to owing a bike.

Replies

• brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    I can’t speak to a mini desk type bike but I have a basic compact stationary bike that was $150 tops on Amazon and I’ve been loving it! It’s just what I need to raise my heart rate to a calories burning zone (I check on my Apple Watch).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,955 Member
    I remember there being a bit of discussion about it in the NEAT Improvement thread**, such as in this post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41286924#Comment_41286924

I think with something like this, you can realistically increase calorie expenditure a bit, and improve circulation and whatnot, but estimating the calories and eating them back (if that's your wish) is pretty difficult. The best approach would probably be to go with a non-crazy-fast base weight loss rate (always a good idea, frankly), add something like this, and adjust intake if you're losing faster than ideal (also always a good idea) vs. trying to estimate the expenditure. Just my opinion, though

I think there have been some other posts here and there on the subject, too, based on memory; but I don't know links for them.

** FWIW, whole thread is here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My friend at work got one after she had knee replacement surgery. She says it helps her keep her knees mobile, aid recovery, so hopefully she can go dance with her husband again. Any movement is better than no movement.
  • alexp44
    alexp44 Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks all.

I'm not thinking of it as a big calorie burning exercise but more as a way of burning a few calories and also just getting the blood pumping again. Since moving to mostly working from home I've had my bp go up (to the extend my gp has threatened me with medication) and notice that I'm out of breath easily when doing things. I'd just hope that some sort of movement during the day is better than none. I certainly wouldn't be eating calories back or logging on mfp as exercise.

I'd love a proper exercise bike to sit on and use when watching tv but space means that's a no go at the minute.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You don't need any equipment for in front of the TV. I march in place. Need some guidance? Look up Leslie Sansone or Reps to the rhythm on YouTube.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,851 Member
    I literally delivered this today to my parents, who are stuck inside: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDMH10Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it arrived yesterday and I tested it yesterday evening while streaming netflix. I pedaled for 39 minutes. The movement was smooth but definitely different from a typical elliptical or bike. This is the second device I purchased for my parents - the first of which I returned as it was wobbly and jerky. The unit above can be used seated or standing. There are plenty of Youtube reviews on it as well. I also chose that model because of the handle for ease of moving the unit.

Also note, MFP does have "Elliptical, Under Desk" as and exercise option. Not the highest calories per hour, but they should accumulate.

Lastly @littlebitta - search on "Caster Stoppers" for your rolling desk chair. One of the mini elliptical makers provides a pair with their unit, but their unit costs roughly 2.5 times what I paid for the one above. But they gave me the idea, in case rolling wheels were an issue for my parents.
  • Littlebitta
    Littlebitta Posts: 3 Member
    [quote="
    Lastly @littlebitta - search on "Caster Stoppers" for your rolling desk chair. One of the mini elliptical makers provides a pair with their unit, but their unit costs roughly 2.5 times what I paid for the one above. But they gave me the idea, in case rolling wheels were an issue for my parents.[/quote]

Thanks @SModa61 I never even thought of that!
  • Paul1962mfp
    Paul1962mfp Posts: 7 Member
    If your moving it's working anything is better than nothing