Starting anew

Options
Hello. My name is Vivian and I am a 53 y/o woman. I need to lose 45 pounds. The hard part is that I can’t put weight on my right foot as I have CRPS in it. I am envisioning a lot of sitting exercises. I will accept all the help you are willing to give.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,513 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I don't know what CRPS is, but I do know that weight management is about balancing the calories you eat with the calories you expend. You don't have to work out to lose weight. That's not to say there's no benefit to improving our fitness.

Have you set a calorie goal yet? Do you have a good plan to track the foods you eat?

These are the keys to weight management.

I know it's not likely during the pandemic, but as we get back to "normal" (whatever that will look like), do you have access to a pool? There's some great exercises you can do that take the weight off your joints but still let you burn calories, work on strength, and build mobility and flexibility.

The more movement you are able to do, the more room you have for extra calories, but even if you had no limitations, you'll find the key is in managing what you eat.

How are you planning on managing your calorie balance?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,779 Member
    Options
    Hi, Vivian.

There are mat Pilates classes that don’t require standing at all, or very little of it.

Yin yoga is a sort of very slow therapeutic stretching involving long gentle holds, which requires no standing, only the occasional low lunge would put any pressure on your foot.

There’s many classes online. But if you have a local studio open for in-person classes, instructors are very attentive to issues like this, if you let them know before the class starts, they will happily provide modifications to you to avoid further injury.

A recumbent bike might work if you can do that type of motion, and there’s lots of resistance band and dumbell exercises for arm and core work.

There’s even “chair yoga” and similar workouts.

There’s a lady over on the Success Stories thread who is wheelchair bound and has lost over 100 pounds, if memory serves.

You’ll find all kinds of inspiration a s help around these boards.

Much success to you!