Anyone with Hashimoto's Disease?

Options
Looked to see if there were any threads or groups for people with Hashi's, and the most recent threads are a few years old. Want to connect with others who have it, or are newly diagnosed (2 weeks ago) like myself, and trying to lose weight at the same time.

Replies

• x4mygirlsx2021
    x4mygirlsx2021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have Hashimotos. There used to be a pretty active group when I first used mfp back in 2011. But it's kind of dwindle alot since then. No new post but still a wealth of information on there. X
  • x4mygirlsx2021
    x4mygirlsx2021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's the hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism group. X
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,930 Member
    Options
    It's not Hashi's specifically, but there's a great thread here about hypothyroidism in general. It was written by a guy who is a reseacher in the field, hypothyroid himself, and who lost weight using MFP. Lots of good science-based info, in a world where there's a lot of really iffy stuff out on the web.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed several years ago, it is hard to lose weight, but there is plenty of literature that can you. Amazon carries several books about hashimoto, and how certain foods effect the thyroid both positively and negatively. I would also.like a group to join
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Groups here run hot and cold. Underactive thyroid here.
  • jenniferbauer211
    jenniferbauer211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hashi here! i was diagnosed at 8 yrs old so i have really dealt with it my whole life.
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    I’ve had Hashimotos for 7 years. It’s definitely been a learning experience. Certain supplements can make it worse, and others like calcium must be taken hours after taking thyroid medicine. I find Armour thyroid works best for me since my body doesn’t adequately convert T4 to T3.
  • tgaudet123
    tgaudet123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling for a few years now with Hashimoto's, I am also pre menopausal (sp) or going thru so who's to know which is causing what?! Weight and fatigue are my biggest struggles. I have been trying to research and it's confusing what I should or shouldn't eat. I try to eat as little dairy as possible as that was my first trigger in finding out something "different" was going on with me. Now I think it's time to try and eat as much gluten free as I can to see if it makes a difference. Any one know of some really good resourses as where to get started eating right with Hashimoto's.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hashi here! i was diagnosed at 8 yrs old so i have really dealt with it my whole life.

Me too, I was diagnosed at age 12, so I've pretty much always dealt with it. People are always surprised to hear someone diagnosed so young. Now in my 30's I have also been diagnosed with R.A. I guess I'm just a lifelong old lady!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Happy to say I am taking no meds!

Levothyroxine was great at the beginning but making me hyper certain times of the day. Here's what helped me:

-Dr tested for Iodine and Vit D levels, both low, supplementing with Vit D (in oil based pill) and 2 drops iodine in water. Didn't help too much until I started taking selenium along with the iodine, and after a meal containing protein. Turns out these are the elements needed for the body to make thyroid hormone. I got this tip from Dr. Izabella Wentz's books.

-I also followed her advise on focusing on eating Anti-inflammatory foods to get the TPO antibodies down. When they are low, less inflammation and less thyroid attack going on, and I find I feel WAY better (no achy muscles and joints, no sensitivity to slight change in temps).

-Cardio exercise and weights: days I do this, I feel "normal", not 90 years old.

-I stopped intermittent fasting (which I loved because it worked for weight loss) because it was causing more hypo symptoms